It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian relief paintings anomaly

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by StormyStars

There are perhaps a number of explanations/theories but looking at the original photo of the artwork especially the detail in the dress-wear I cannot come to terms with the two left hands (and there is no question that the figure has a left hand on a right arm). As I have said previously there are many depictions from a multitude of different artists showing this anomaly for it not to mean something yet i have heard no expert even mention it.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Its not an anomaly, but can be termed as a mistake of the school of art to which the painter belong to or a mistake of the painter himself or some creative license.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

I can't believe that a school of art would teach apprentices to paint in this way - surely one would say "Hey, this is wrong"! There are too many different works of art by too many different artists for this to be accepted as the norm. I believe one theory was that the right hand was for giving and the left was for receiving so this depicted the subject as either a giver or a receiver so both hands were depicted as being the same. This 'anomaly' is only shown in the paintings and reliefs and NOT on statues for instance (well, I haven't found one yet) which are beautifully symmetric in every way so why aren't they shown with two left (or right) hands?
It is something that has bugged me for decades and I was hoping that someone could give an explanation or perhaps a theory that would hold water.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OzTiger

Ok. some dumb school of art or some dumb artist painted both the hands of person the same .

What is the anomaly??
Is this anomaly indicative of anything?
is the anomaly noteworthy other than in the artistic scene?
Are there any hidden messages implied?

Great that you have noticed it.
But seeking hidden meanings as with ANOMALY is like building a mountain out a mole hill.

As far it can go, the Egyptians could as well have danced on their hands and these characters in the paintings were the unlucky ones with the two left feet..oops sorry. Two left hands.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

coredrill
reply to post by OzTiger

Ok. some dumb school of art or some dumb artist painted both the hands of person the same .

What is the anomaly??
Is this anomaly indicative of anything?
is the anomaly noteworthy other than in the artistic scene?
Are there any hidden messages implied?

Great that you have noticed it.
But seeking hidden meanings as with ANOMALY is like building a mountain out a mole hill.

As far it can go, the Egyptians could as well have danced on their hands and these characters in the paintings were the unlucky ones with the two left feet..oops sorry. Two left hands.

Sorry, I just asked a question that's all as I found it intriguing. If it was just a one-off incident I wouldn't have asked but it has happened on numerous depictions by numerous artists and knowing the innumerable amateur Egyptologists on these boards I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I didn't wish to make a federal case out of it and I apologize if it has upset you.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Replying to the Op and the post above his.
First off, great eye catching it !
And hell yeah it's interesting !

The Egyptians,although many different artists
made reliefs, didnt skimp in the early dynasties.

Everything is depicted for a reason. Every symbol had multiple
meanings. That's another reason of many the Freemasons
revered the Egyptians. It wasn't a perspective issue.
Even the reliefs we find pedestrian are sacred geometric in measurement
So I think there is a darn good reason they did such an odd thing.
I just don't know what that reason was.

And yes later some work got shoddy by the early cultures standards
but a relief like the quality as the OP's first picture
I doubt contain any "oops oh well" in their making.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join