It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor's note must accompany school lunches sent from home?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So carry on with the hyperbole...but maybe consider the facts while doing so.

The information I posted on the first page specifically stated:

...A Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman said she could not say how many schools prohibit packed lunches and that decision is left to the judgment of the principals.... LINK

So what the heck is your problem? This is about schools mandating no home food.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

The letter cited "Federal Programs PreSchool" as the source of the policy.

That was not accurate as I showed.

That leaves this as a policy/rule of the school or a local regulation of the state.

If information offends you, I can't help.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
At my nephew's school, he is in the 5th grade, students can bring a lunch from home but if they do they are not allowed to sit with the students who purchase a school lunch. The school put a few tables over in a corner of the lunch room for students to sit if the bring their own lunch. Because of this my nephew will not take a lunch but will waste money buying one and then not eating it just so he can sit with his friends at lunch time.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

A doctors note?
What if you're Jewish?
Is the food Kosher?

Even if you're not Jewish I wouldn't eat that cafeteria food.
Usually it's yuck.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So are you saying the person from the school writing the letter was LYING and the title mentioned in the letter - "the Health Coordinator for Federal Programs Preschool" is misleading?

This seems to be part of the HEAD START program. FEDERAL PROGRAMS PRESCHOOL COLLABORATION AGREEMENT MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDINGBETWEEN
HENRICO COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND HENRICO COUNTY HEAD START

If I go to SmartBeginnings.org who wrote that Memorandum we get

Since 2007, the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation (VECF) has fostered the creation of 29 Smart Beginnings coalitions, covering 87% of Virginia’s population in nearly 100 localities. These coalitions are the cornerstone of the early childhood system in the state. Moving through multiple phases of growth and sustainability, coalitions harness key community leadership to implement evidence-based strategies with clear and consistent performance measures....

Smart Beginnings is a systems-building model that fosters collaborative efforts to build a comprehensive, locally driven system of high quality early childhood care, education and health services that is accessible to all families and children. ....

An important indicator of Smart Beginnings’ success is the level of diverse funding and support (public and private) harnessed in local communities. In FY12, Smart Beginnings partners leveraged more than $8.8 million private and local dollars for investment in early childhood education and development. These local efforts are transforming children, their communities, and the Commonwealth....
www.smartbeginnings.org...

And another page says...

The Virginia Early Childhood Foundation and the Virginia Department of Social Services through the Office of Early Childhood Development have partnered to implement the Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI), the state's Quality Rating and Improvement System.

A Quality Rating and Improvement System is a method to assess, improve and communicate the level of quality in childcare centers and preschools. The VSQI assigns a rating, from 1 to 5 stars, to each site, to assist parents in finding a quality care provider for their child....
www.smartbeginnings.org...

It also talks of a "free and reduced school lunch program." More digging uncovers

The Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids Act (HHFKA) of 2010
The HHFKA will help end childhood hunger by:
Expanding after school meals for at-risk children
Expanding universal meal service through community eligibility
Connecting more eligible low-income children with school meals through expanding direct certification

The HHFKA will improve student health and reduce obesity by:
Establishing national nutrition standards for all foods sold in school during the school day, including a la carte lines and vending machines (note that the Act does not ban fundraisers such as bake sales, etc., held outside of the school day)
Strengthening local school wellness policies and school food safety programs
Developing model product specifications for USDA commodity foods used in school meals

The HHFKA will improve training and support the professionalism of food service employees by:
Requiring annual training and certification for all local food service personnel in procedures to ensure program compliance and integrity, and in nutrition, health and food safety standards and methods

Some parts of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act will go into effect for the 2011-2012 school year, but many provisions will not take effect until the 2012-2013 school year, or later....

www.nea.org...

Finally going back to Henrico County Public Schools

...The Preschool Program curriculum strives to increase language development, motor and thinking skills and social interactions through cooperative learning activities. The curriculum also focuses on social, emotional and physical development. Currently, there are 30 Preschool classrooms in 22 of the elementary schools in Henrico County. Students attend preschool 5 days a week for 6 ¼ hours a day. Breakfast, lunch and a snack are provided to those students participating in the preschool programs. The funding for Federal Programs Preschool is the result of grants (Head Start, VA Preschool Initiative, and Title I Four Year Old Program) braided to create one consistent program at all schools...
headstartprograms.org...

So it looks like a United Nations Public-Private Partnership especially since SmartBeginnings.org is also pushing Common Core. Common Core is an integral part of UN Agenda 21/Sustainable Development: globalization is the standardization of systems.

DEFINITELY something to worry about, since it seems to creeping Agenda 21.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

crimvelvet
reply to post by Indigo5

So are you saying the person from the school writing the letter was LYING and the title mentioned in the letter - "the Health Coordinator for Federal Programs Preschool" is misleading?

Between the two I would go with misleading.

We will know more when the original blogger/parent updates her post. She said she will be updating it.

But my best guess is that the author of the letter intentionally gave the impression that this was a law or regulation originated at the Federal level, while the USDA responsible for these GUIDELINES have explicitly stated that they do not regulate meals at the School level.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yet another thing from my childhood crushed.

When I was a kid (and it's not THAT long ago, although it's been a while) we could bring firearms to school during deer season, as long as they were checked into the school's gun safe or locked in the trunk, if you had a car instead of a truck.

And while they HAD school lunches, they were pretty nasty, and we brown bagged it until our junior years, and at that point if you were a farm kid and had your drivers license already, you could drive into town and buy whatever you liked, as long as you weren't late for the next class.

Now it's a big hairy deal for everything. I would likely end up in jail.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Alas, if I look further..

www.my2crazycurls.com...

she does indeed have that note.

Yeah, but so what? It's a bloody preschool. They don't allowed foods from home at preschools anymore because of all the allergies. One kid is allergic to nuts, the other peanuts, one gluten... then you got twenty 5 year olds running around trading out their lunches, dead kid in a few minutes...

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I would defy this every day...and in the process teach my child that some laws are to be broken because those that make them dont really have any authority.

My kid would sneak a lunch in to school everyday. she would be coached in ways to get away with something against the rules....

If that is what they want then fine.

I plan on my family outlasting this retarded power grab by idiots in DC....

We will not comply.

edit on 10 22 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

You can buy a box of 10 fudgecicles for $1.00 in the dollar store. 75¢ for one is extortion.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Don't get me started on public schools overstepping! Last week my fourth grader was rummaging through our cabinets. I asked her why and she tells me she has to make a list of what she finds at school the next day. Why? An assignment is all she can tell me.

This week my fifth grader brings me an obesity poll. They want a week long log of every calorie our family eats and every activity.

Um can you say none of your damn business?

I told my daughter to write down condoms, tampons and nothing else (that should be good for a laugh). I threw the calorie log in the burn bucket and started a fire with it tonight.

Parent teacher conferences are tomorrow...lucky me.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
School lunch? When I think of school lunch, the first thing that pops into my mind is that bottomless vat of brand "x" ravioli that has been simmering in the back of the cafeteria since 1967! The kind of ravioli that YOU HAVE TO CHEW! It's right next to the quote chicken patties' unquote, although I've never seen chicken with grey flesh before. Finally, the saving grace of every school lunch, eternity milk (but only if it's chocolate) the milk in the wax paper cartons that say shake really, really really well big chunks can be fatal !

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
More proof that idiots run the school system too.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Restricted

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Restricted

Idiots run the preschool system, are they even public?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xquizit

The boring sandwich is the cafeteria food, the food from home is what is better.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

It's also about them getting their daily quota of Gmos. Can't disappoint Michelle Obama, now can we.

edit on 10/23/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

crimvelvet
reply to post by damwel

Political madness? Can't we get a forum for these lies? ....

YOUR PREJUDICE IS SHOWING!

Be careful what you call lies, especially when you do not even bother to investigate first!

ONE COMMENT:
... schools in NC are revoking lunches brought in by students from home. This started happening in January. My sister teaches in the area that it happened in.....

ANOTHER COMMENT:
.....I saw my grandchild in the lunch room with her tray. I walked over and asked her what they were serving her and she said it “tastes like dry paper”. It was a very small slice of pizza (overcooked) with dry cheese product on it, a salad that consisted of four tiny leaves no dressing and wilted, two crackers and 2 small slices of orange with a 1/3 pint of non-fat milk. All totaled it probably came to 300 calories. My granddaughter is not a picky eater, but she had not been eating anything for lunch for weeks.

When my daughter told her Doctor he not only sent a note but he sent a letter to his patients stating that he was advising his patients to ask for a note from him to remove their children from the school lunch program if they wanted it....
______beforeitsnews/alternative/2013/10/government-says-parents-cannot-send-lunches-with-children-to-school-anymore-unless-they-have-a-doctors-no te-2800122.html

This article goes back to April 12, 2011

Today a school in Chicago made news for banning lunches from home, forcing all their students to eat school lunch. Um, wow. This sounds bad.

But can we be sure that home lunches are healthy and satisfying? Here are two recent examples from my students:

Lunch example 1: Two donuts.
Lunch example 2: A ham sandwich on white bread, a donut, a banana, a bag of hot chips.

Should the “two donut” kid be forced to eat school lunch? I’m asking that rhetorically because I really don’t have an answer.

We need to know what Little Village Academy is serving for lunch. Is it anything like the lunches offered at the Academy for Global Citizenship (AGC)? You guys saw the amazing lunch I ate there last month. Should AGC’s students be required to eat school lunch?

I’d also like to note that the article mentions kids need to get permission to send home lunches with a medical excuse. How easy is it to get a note from your child’s doctor for them to eat home lunches? Remember how I had to get a doctor’s note allowing my son to the lunches I send from home (that I post on the blog)? I got a note faxed to my day care in less than 24 hours.....
fedupwithlunch.com...

The original link to the Los Angles Times kroggled so here is an alternate link from the Chicago Tribune
Chicago school bans some lunches brought from home

....At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

"Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school," Carmona said. "It's about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It's milk versus a Coke. But with allergies and any medical issue, of course, we would make an exception."

Carmona said she created the policy six years ago after watching students bring "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips for their lunch. Although she would not name any other schools that employ such practices, she said it was fairly common.

A Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman said she could not say how many schools prohibit packed lunches and that decision is left to the judgment of the principals....

So now we know damwel just pulls an opinion out of the air (I kept it clean with difficulty) and then tries to get the information called a HOAX based on his PREJUDICE!

haha love it!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
1. Homeschool.

2. Attend city and county meetings and become obnoxious about the issue.

3. Have employer exclude taxes from deductions and refuse to pay city and local taxes that fund education until the situation is resolved.

4. Inform and recruit anybody you possibly can in the district to do the same.

5. Homeschool.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
There is no longer "education" in the US. It is "indoctrination". This is fact and not conspiracy theory.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join