It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to opt-out of Google's latest invasion of your privacy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Did you hear, Google is now going to sell your endorsements. Of-course you wont get any money but we're slaves anyway.

Look at the wording:

Google on Friday announced that it would soon be able to show users’ names, photos, ratings and comments in ads across the Web, endorsing marketers’ products.

"Be able to" = "will use your information without any regards for your privacy for their benefit".

But no one HAS to use google. I know I know but many people are somewhat "tied" in, often times as a source of networking or business contacts vs simple socializing.

To opt-out, try this.

Go here.

To clear things up: People who do not want their profile information and comments used in ads must uncheck the box next to that phrase. The box is, by default, checked for Google Plus users.

In comments on this post and elsewhere, many Google Plus members reported that when they visited the setting page, the box was unchecked.

Hope this was helpful.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

theres an easier way : don't write reviews or endorsments of products , places or services online - simples

PS - if you do write reviews - what the hell do you expect people to do with them ????

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
When i checked this over 2 weeks ago, it was already set to disabled.

I hate google, but panic mode on by default doesnt help..

Perhaps its a carry overfrom turning off all of googles intrusions. But it was new and off by default for me..

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

thanks for the opt out link! After I did and before it saved it asked me if I was sure because it would affect my "friends"....weird.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I was drinking my coffee one morning and my wife was on her facebook. She showed me an advertisement for Brawny Towels that said (my name) likes Brawny Towels. When I realized that they were using me to endorse a product, I promptly cancelled my facebook account.

Thank you for the information.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thanks!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Doesnt seem like such a good idea to do this.

Sooner or later we're going to get things like "Adam Lanza likes Folgers coffee".

It's only a matter of time and the way the MSM seems to flock toward social networking profiles for "news" it's pretty much guaranteed.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Or how about you don't go to google or have gmail or have a youtube account or facebook?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hi Carreau.

Carreau said:
Or how about you don't go to google or have gmail or have a youtube account or facebook?

EXACTLY !
= I never go to g00gle voluntarily.
= I do NOT search with g00gle, I use IXQUICK :
us2.ixquick.com...
= With my ACN phone stuff, THEY use the gmail system, no other choice possible.
= I don't have a YouTube account.
= I don't have farcehook.

My cookies are OFF and **I** decide wich ones go on my hard disk !

With all that, I rarely receive scams or spams messages, and I like it that way !! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Google is a data mining corporate monolith. There are quality alternatives thankfully.
duckduckgo.com...
edit on 22-10-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The OP asks... "How to opt-out of Google's latest invasion of your privacy".

It's easy. Don't use Google. Avoid Google like the plague and use some other les intrusive search engine / company. They do exist. Let the search be your last act of "Googling".

While you are there, stop using Facebook et al. They are all in it for the money and your data is their currency.

Regards

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It's not that tricky to fix, for example for Facebook, send this message to your friends. Write "hoover over my profile image, do not click on it, then click "settings", uncheck "comment" and "share", when you are done "do NOT SHARE" this post, copy and re-post it on your Wall and I'll do the same technique for you, simply comment "done", under my instructions.. This way only friends will see your pictures and comments.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Even if you dont use Google many sites are powered by google. I think this site is too. It's common. It's hard to get around all of it.

top topics

join