It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-discovering comics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have been getting back into reading comics both DC and Marvel because I felt I had been missing out on some good story arcs. I have finished reading all the main The Infinity Gauntlet Sagas (Thanos Quest, The Infinity Gauntlet, The Infinity War/Crusade/Abyss and The End) they were excellent and compelling. The Suicide Squad (2013) issues up to 24. I really liked Batwoman New 52, the panel layouts have come along way from the standard square styles.

The next comics on my reading list are The Superior Spiderman, Marvel 1602 and Forever Evil Arkham War.

I am a re-born comic geek.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Welcome back! Your card renewal is in the mail.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

whare do i get to read this?? Pleaseeee help me thx

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Messias

Umm, a comic book store?

Or, you can download the torrents, but of course you should buy the comics to support the artists & companies. It is a dying art form, so supporting them is important if you can afford it.

When I got back into comics, although I was a Marvel fan before, I never really got back into Marvel and DC...since most of it still feels like "kids stuff" to me. No offense to anyone, some of the titles aren't bad.

Some good ones I've been reading are Sweet Tooth, Fables, Grimm Fairy Tales, Chew, I Zombie, all the Buffy titles, etc.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I too have recently rediscovered the art of comics. I lost track of a lot of the superhero stuff but have really been enjoying The Invisibles and The Preacher. If anyone has any similar recommendations along those lines, I am all ears.

I do have a soft spot for The Punisher, especially the MAX series but he isnt really a superhero.

Lucky us ... feeling like kids again getting lost in these images all over again!

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Look into the cross over team ups some of them are pretty good. One of my favorites is called King of New York starring Batman and Daredevil. They go against the Kingpin and the Scarecrow. It's worth it just to see the beating the Kingpin gives Batman.
edit on 21-10-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I'm 38 and am also getting back into comics. I'm really into batman right now. The villains are so complex. The joker got his face removed!!! Holy sheep sh%$ batman!!

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

catfishjoe

I'm 38 and am also getting back into comics. I'm really into batman right now. The villains are so complex. The joker got his face removed!!! Holy sheep sh%$ batman!!

I became fed up with the way they kept changing the story lines and origins that I quit reading them. And the way they kill people off and bring them back now is a joke.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I agree about the origins, thing. For me, Iron Man was born in the jungles of Viet Nam, not Afghanistan. But I understand, you've got to update. Otherwise Stark would be, what, in his 80s?

I loved comics, but I was forced to quit cold turkey. When I started, comics were 12 cents and every month I could get the latest issues at the Mom and Pop's or Seven Eleven. Prices would go up, but I would still buy. I even had to get "jobs" to buy comics. Taking out other peoples trash, cleaning up at the barber shop, even got a paper route. All to support my dirty habit.

I think comics were the '60s version of meth.

In the end, the problem wasn't cost, it was availability. Seven Eleven stopped carrying the latest, if any, comics. I had to go over 8 miles (I measured it) to get the latest comics. Fortunately, that store was also next to an ice cream store. So, once a month I got my fix by eating ice cream while reading the comics I bought a few minutes ago.

Eventually, even that store stopped carrying comics.

Nowadays, I suppose I could go to the comic book stores, but I don't want to get hooked again. I have the memories of the stories and the lessons they taught, and I'm happy with that.

I hope you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane. I did.

But, if you haven't read them, I would highly recommend Marvel's Secret Wars and the graphic novel The Death of Captain Marvel. The Death of Captain Marvel still gets me choked up when I think about it.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

You would probably enjoy Transmetropolitan. I would also recommend The Boys for anyone rejoining comics after a long hiatus who may be turned off by traditional superhero/spandex stuff. Some other good titles would be Elephantmen( anthropomorphic noir?), Fear Agent (sci-fi), and The Manhattan Projects (Alt History).

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I could not agree with someone more. Although I have been enjoying the new 52 I am pretty much fed up with the revolving door of character deaths/resurrections in mainstream titles. It is a joke. I never feel any sense of loss when a character dies anymore. Some of the deaths are just ridiculous like when Colossus kills himself to cure the legacy virus because he missed his poor sister Illyana who died from the virus only to find out she was in limbo or some crap the whole time but in the end who cares because guess what Colossus death didn't last long because the corpse was a duplicate? (wtf???) Don't even get me started on Doug Ramsey.

It is a shame that Marvel and DC make the same mistakes. You have Wolverine in every title under the sun and Batman has like 5 books of his own. They cant create decent new characters so they keep killing the main staples and bringing them back. Has beast or Iceman ever died? If they have then that's like the full original roster and giant size X-men who have died and come back sans Thunderbird (and Sunfire who hasn't died to my knowledge) which would not surprise me if they some how find out his corpse was switched at the last minute just before the plane blew up or that his brother Warpath was really Thunderbird all along and they had the mutant power to be 2 different people (ahem *cough* M/penance gen-x thing!* cough*)
edit on 22-10-2013 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

But, if you haven't read them, I would highly recommend Marvel's Secret Wars and the graphic novel The Death of Captain Marvel. The Death of Captain Marvel still gets me choked up when I think about it.

I have read both and I have a first issue of the death of Captain Marvel. And you are right it was a very sad story.
edit on 22-10-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

supermarket2012

Messias

Umm, a comic book store?

Or, you can download the torrents, but of course you should buy the comics to support the artists & companies. It is a dying art form, so supporting them is important if you can afford it.

When I got back into comics, although I was a Marvel fan before, I never really got back into Marvel and DC...since most of it still feels like "kids stuff" to me. No offense to anyone, some of the titles aren't bad.

Some good ones I've been reading are Sweet Tooth, Fables, Grimm Fairy Tales, Chew, I Zombie, all the Buffy titles, etc.

Another good comic is the manga caraven Kidd that I collected a decade ago. you can read it online Here.

And not forgetting Tank Girl and another manga comic called Maison Ikkoku
edit on 22-10-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: The Amazing Typo Vs The League of Mistakes

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NihilistSanta

Thank you very much. Transmetropolitan is on my radar but the others are new to me so I will be looking into them. Oh and Y:The Last Man gets a solid thumbs up for anyone interested in something a little different.

Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I recently picked up all of the issues of X-Men Legacy and I have to say its the one book out from Marvel right now that I am really digging. It is almost an anti team book since legion is a one man army. The covers by Mike Delmundo(sp?) are awesome as well and remind me somewhat of the old New Mutants covers from the 80s.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
On a budget
Tradepaperbacks

Amazon
Half Priced books

Now series

100 bullets

Wanted
movie nothing like comic book
lets just say the story is based on the writers brother telling him the villians got together
killed all the heroes
and rewrote reality

Empire
a villain conquering earth

Manhattan Project
just out there but cool

Now DC
dc.wikia.com...

where they are at last reading
Flashpoint
DC reset universe

wildstorm included

Superman
not with lois
doing series on his reletionship with Wonder woman

Batman
Had a son
Son is dead

Formed batman inc
various batman across world

Flash
not following
Barry Allen I think

Green Lantern
Big mess
new muslim one

red lanterns
red ring - anger and rage

Rainbow of emotional spectrum

JLA formed to fight invasion by darksied

Note
Power girl and huntress from alternate reality
this is deviation point
batman and selina had daughter
assumed ID huntress when she got here

Superman's daughter I think
became power girl
powers screwy

(friend is following this mess)

Present crossover last read
Forever evil
Crime syndicate took out JLA
beat the crap out of nightwing

Teen titans
not following

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ripcontrol
marvel.wikia.com...

Marvel
Major recent events
Scarlet witch said no more mutants and depowered most of them

Schism- split between wolverine and psiclops

Phoenix returned
hope summers new mutant born after depowering

beast brought xmen from past to present
cant go back to past
changed world

Age of ultron
ultron stomp
time travel fix
kill hank pym
___
Civil war
between heroes over registration

Secret invasion
Skrulls invade
norman osborn in power

Thanos imperiative
HEs a daddy

Avengers
stopped following

Uncanny Avengers
Captain america forms post schism and Phoenix event

Ironman
actualy new origin not the son of Howard stark

Wolverine
now headmaster of jean grey school for higher learning
like series but close to losing me

Spiderman
You ready
Superior spiderman is doc oct in peters body
was cool concept

Writers f'd it up with ending

Thor-
not following

Last few what ifs have been crappy
get trade paperback of old issues
volume one and volume two

(half priced books and amazon)

Ultimates universe
good idea just lost me

Trade Paper back on new spider man
ok for first few issues
(yes in the ultimate universe they killed off spiderman)

_
_

Thunderbolts
get trade paperback

Venom
flash thompson

read marvel wikia

Scarlet Spider
Kaine is in houston

check out wikia and maybe surf HPB issues they have
or the tradepaper backs

_

other companies

illegitamates
like the idea
bond like character

is dead
back up plan his children

Season four of jericho is a trade paperback
tv show

Fables
google it and check amazon
fables living in this world

ABC bought rights or something
made Once upon a time
nothing like it but good idea

ender's game series
actually has issues not in book form

also card made sure they put both enders game and enders shadow into comic book form
Amazon and
Half Priced Books -HPB

One last series to review
I had forgot Exiles
Alternate relaity versions of characters
replace what if was good for a little bit of time

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I forgot Preacher

also this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

list some good ones

For the older back issues

early 2099

I loved doom2099
Spiderman 2099

Age of Apocalypse
original story
and newer comic book (ok not my cup of tea

Older DC
LEGION
REBELS

Darkstars

And ZERO hour

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
other major cross overs

World War Hulk
Hulk got marooned by illuminati
hulk make it back
hulk smashed

Fear
waste of time IMHO
hammers given out
older god released
by Sin (red skulls daughter)

Winter Soldier
Cap died end of civil war
bucky replaced him

I have not picked up to much of
hulk or CA

Of note
superior spiderman story
Team up
Goblin and Doc oct

Liked one good point
Goblin killed Docs love of life with aids
waiting on next issue

During annual way back
Doc Oct tried to cure aids
now interesting twist- goblin did it
edit on 24-4-2014 by ripcontrol because: green goblin did it and going to bed now

join