It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say no to Obamacare, refuse to pay the penalty and get off scott free!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I was worried about this as well, for I have no employment at this time. I see a lot of mentions of penalties being taken out of your tax check, and that's enough to set someone off. I had my tax checks seized from being in default on my student loans, and now that I have that taken care of and going back to school, it would be a shame to see them go to the government once more. I think the whole ACA is unconstitutional to being with. I'm not against everyone being able to have affordable insurance, but at what cost to the taxpayer is this going to have with the implementation of the ACA?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister

if i understand correctly, if enough people don't sign up to fund ACA in the first year it will defund itself and collapse under it's own weight. The IRS will probably try to skirt the law (as always).

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I do not see anything there saying they can not simply garnish your wages.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have heard Alex Jones mention that ACA is really a tax and this is how it was able to be passed and implemented by Congress. Is there any validity to his statement?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

MrSpad
I do not see anything there saying they can not simply garnish your wages.

I think a wage garnish is considered a lien or levy ?

(2)
Limitations on liens and levies.
If
a taxpayer fails to pay the shared
responsibility payment imposed by this
section and §§ 1.5000A–1 through
1.5000A–4, the Secretary will not file
notice of lien on any property of the
taxpayer, or levy on any property of the
taxpayer for the failure.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Added:

What assets can the IRS take through a levy?

The IRS can take almost anything of value from you that can be used to satisfy tax debt. There is a small list of things they cannot take, but most things they can legally take. The most common assets they seize are wages, vendor payments due to you, money from bank accounts, commissions, employee travel adances, SSA benefits, property, rights to property, and anything else of value that can satisfy the tax liability.

Tax Levy Frequently Asked Questions

edit on Oct-21-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'm sure you're right about a garnish being a lien or levy. Well, I'm not sure, but it sounds logical.

At any rate, I don't have to claim psychic powers to foresee future lawsuits surrounding the fine and how its implemented. I know, the law says there won't be any if you simply refuse to pay, but I'm not that trusting in the gov't to not come a-knockin' demanding their cut.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

BobM88

I'm sure you're right about a garnish being a lien or levy. Well, I'm not sure, but it sounds logical.

At any rate, I don't have to claim psychic powers to foresee future lawsuits surrounding the fine and how its implemented. I know, the law says there won't be any if you simply refuse to pay, but I'm not that trusting in the gov't to not come a-knockin' demanding their cut.

Legally, it is correct.

I asked a tax lawyer.

But remember, the IRS can change regulations without legislation. So can HHS.

That means a President could effectively make 'changes' (through the Cabinet Secretaries)

In this case, however, the PPACA law itself may have the limits in place (the lawyer wasn't sure himself !!)

The whole joke is complicated.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

It IS a joke, man, you're right. The more we learn the less I can see how the heck this thing will ever work.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie

if they deduct it from your tax refund what you gonna do?

I honestly believe that this is how Obamacare will be enforced. Those who do not get insurance will quickly find any refund will be taken from them.

Well guess what?

It is no big deal. Many States already do this to people who owe medical bills. All States do this to men who owe child support. For decades now, the Government has found ways to keep people's tax refunds. I have not actually filed taxes in roughly 17 years now- even though I have been entitled to a full refund each and every year, and I have no intentions of ever filing.

Our system is broke, and only a fool would continue to participate in it in any way, shape or form.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

MrWendal
I have not actually filed taxes in roughly 17 years now- even though I have been entitled to a full refund each and every year, and I have no intentions of ever filing.

How have you not filed taxes for so long? Are you self-employed or just choose not to file your taxes when the time comes?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They cannot put a lien on your house but the can levy a tax. They are two different things. The IRS, without going to court, can put a federal levy on wages or a return. So, they are right. They do NOT have to go to court and will not go after your house but if you work, and pay taxes in ANY way you are screwed fools.

Therefore, it can be withheld. The 5th Amendment protects your property but not your pay. However, they can try to go to court to place a levy against your home. who cares what the PPACA says, the law of the land will win if it goes to the SCOTUS.

Remember also, there are state and federal exchanges so it could get even weirder in the future. The first year will not mean that much but in 2017 when the fine for a family of four could be over 2k, there will be some SHTF....

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well not to throw a monkey wrench into the rules lawyering here, but if the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court ruled the ACA Constitutional because he doesn't know the legal definition between a fine and a tax (and doesn't know that revenue bills must originate in the House instead of the Senate if this is a tax). Do you really think you are going to pull one over on the IRS? You know, that group that just recently got away with highly illegal abuses of power based on political affiliations. And by highly illegal, I mean we might just bypass Joe Biden and go straight to Boehner (God help us all if so) to be the new POTUS if it were to ever get through the House Judicial Subcommittee.

Good luck with that.
edit on 21-10-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The Federal Government can't suspend your drivers license. That is controlled by the state you are in. I happen to be in Florida and our state is not cooperating with the ACA. They did not expand Medicaid and did not create an exchange. I seriously doubt they will suspend a DL for not paying a fine under the ACA.

Now, when Civil Judgements are ordered by a State Court in the case of a Criminal Penalty, not paying it can result in a suspension of your DL, in Florida. For example if you had restitution for a DUI of say $5,000. The judge can convert that criminal penalty to a Civil Judgement to wrap up the case. In that case, if you don't pay the civil judgement off, the state can and will suspend your license. Any other Civil Judgement, like from a collections agency, can not suspend your DL if not paid.

So, I don't know what Democratic controlled states, or states that are otherwise cooperating with the ACA might do in the driver's license regard.

Interesting question one poster brought up. It didn't say anything about not garnishing your wages if paid like that. I am an independent contractor and file 1099, so I have no idea what they would do, other than levying a bank account, if I don't pay. But, my penalty the first year would only be 1% of my annual income. If I made $70k that would be $700. That is much cheaper that paying extortionate rates for a plan with such a high deductible that I wouldn't be receiving any benefits anyway, unless I had a catastrophic issue. Then I could just purchase a plan on the exchange and be covered. I suspect the law will blow up or they will close said loopholes.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
One of the local talk radio shows was going on about how Native Americans are supposedly exempt from Obamacare but don't have to show tribal registry or proof of ancestry meaning Elizabeth Warren really is a Native American along with lot of other long, lost tribal brother and sisters if true.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

They've had it hard enough without taking on the burden of this boondoggle...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Well the easy way to figure this out is to find somebody from Massachusetts. They have had Obamacare under another name since 2006. From looking at the results there it is a not a magic bullet to cure all our healthcare ills but. it seems have increased coverage and replaced more expensive ER visits with cheaper normal care. I know it kind of ruins all the doom and gloom but, their you have it.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
S&F OP! Tried reading through the act once upon a time, but fell asleep 3 pages in
I wonder how they'll try to close out these loopholes? The way I understand it,

‘‘(A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES.—In the case of
any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed
by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to ANY
criminal prosecution OR penalty with respect to such failure.

Wouldnt garnishment of wages fall under the "penalty" aspect of this rule? I'd almost venture to say the second part could go so far as to state they cant charge you, or steal your money from you as a result of nonpayment, and certainly not steal your property over nonpayment

‘‘(B) LIMITATIONS ON LIENS AND LEVIES.—The Secretary
shall not—
‘‘(i) file notice of lien with respect to any property
of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the
penalty imposed by this section, or
‘‘(ii) levy on any such property with respect to
such failure.’’.

Hell, if all else fails, just claim you're 1/64th or 1/128th cherokee because chances are there's a drop of native american blood somewhere in your bloodline
edit on 22-10-2013 by kingofyo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Then whats with all the "pay or face prison" nonsense Ive read about this?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bdmay25

entirely bs.. What I posted was pulled from the gov pdf of the ppaca, at the specified page (131?) so i dont see how nonpayment could be met with any sort of imprisonment

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are 100% correct. The laws are made by people that went to school to understand and interpret laws.

If you take a look at the tax code carefully in respect to owning a business -- you'll find all kinds of surprising loop holes. I met a guy that explained to me how much he is able to write off, and how he moves assets around between his multiple companies and blind trusts.

It seemed shady to me, but it's what the rich powerful people do all the time. They understand how the "game" works and know how to take advantage of it to become wealthy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join