It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nowhere to Hide: DARPA 3-D Underground Mapping from Satellite

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

howmuch4another
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I for one would not be so quick with the sad faces

I think this is firmly in the black budget by now.. thus the reason nobody has heard anything for 5 years.
You better believe if DARPA says build it it has been built so I am weary of "nothing to see here" posts.

DARPA bids their design work out to the private sector, they don't do their own research. The awards are public. There wasn't one. More, if it HAD gone black, the guy wouldn't be doing lectures on it for IEEE, and he'd most likely be talking about the wonderful data he was getting. But he's not, and he is doing lots of publishing. So, it's not like, say, volumetric imaging satellite techniques over at NRO. Those you don't hear about.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by Bedlam

Just a thought as a matter of logistics and telemetry; would this array necessarily need be on the order of magnitude of 100 sats in tandem?

We're talking static targets. They don't move, ever. They're not going anywhere. mil-tech GPS could sort that, perhaps?

Wouldn't need 100 satellites then. 4 clusters of 3 making several intersecting passes over time could then hash it out?

Eh, maybe. We've got lots of various gravity mapping satellites up. I'm not sure how much his technique depends on all the sats being there at the same time, because I'm doing a dozen other things and I'm avoiding reading technical stuff. Instead, I'm hanging roman shades for the old lady. I'm not sure why you couldn't do this. But when he talks about it, he always has the hundreds of satellites up.

And another issue with the whole thing is, with them moving around like that all the time, and doing formation flying without tethers, you're going to rapidly run out of reactant mass, and your sats will be caca.You'd have to put replacements up constantly. ech.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I wonder how it does through water?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Due diligence; I sent the good Dr. Lan Losik an email inquiring on the project status.

He was quite kind in giving reply which, in short, said; the project never got off the ground.

In more detail he said; "We were communicating on a regular basis with the Director of Special Projects Organization (SPO) at DARPA, the U.S. government's official organization for considering new, unproven, unlikely to succeed high risk technology proposed by anyone that may be usable by one of the branches of the military. Unfortunately the Director quit DARPA as a result of the major decreased government funding and took employment at a private company and it was not picked up by anyone else".

He went on to detail that NOAA is on his list to pitch funding for the project, but, for the purposes of this thread, project DUMSTR is currently in the, erm, dumpster.

On another note, mention of NASA's GRAIL project was highlighted in an aside which would seem to indicate underground mapping could very well be effectively actualized with a mere 2 satellites.

Anyway, there's that.
DUMSTR is not in the air.

Albeit inquiry of the topic has come up with a big bag of nothing, that 'nothing' has actually been quite informative.

Some things that the ATS community might could take away from this are:
1. Regardless of how official looking some interesting documents or articles on the internet are, no matter how much you might like it and want it to be true, it might not be so.

2. Topical investigation and pursuit in following a logical path of inquiry, including interrogation of source subject personalities, though it might very well tell you something you don't want to hear, is important.

3. While there is a proposed technology for mapping underground structure via satellite, it's still safe to keep believing in an Alien Base under Dulce, or NAZIs under Antarctica since we still don't have any way to disprove it.

4. Don't get too attached to a conspiracy theory you like, and be willing to take it out to the wood shed when it's time.

I hope all this has been entertaining, informative, and educational.
I thought I found a decent bone, but, well, C'est la vie.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

cavtrooper7
I wonder how it does through water?

That is a good question.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
BAE Advanced Tech (who brought you the exciter from HAARP) has a helo towed gadget called an ATAEM (Airborne Tomography using Active Electromagnetics) that can do subsurface mapping. The whys and wherefores on THAT one aren't discussed, it comes up from time to time.

There is a sheaf of programs called, sadly, Counter Underground Facilities (UGF), that has a lot of substituent bits and pieces. One is LAASS, or "Low Altitude Airborne Sensor System", ATAEM as mentioned, Cross Border Tunnels, Robust Tunnel Mapping and Operations, and a few others. (ahem)

I'd say, don't abandon the hunt just because this one went in the DUMSTR. A lot of this is going to be hard to get details on, though, because now it is mostly run by SOCOM, a group near and dear to my heart (takes off hat, holds it over heart). It used to be AF, but at least some of it went non-line-item in 2009. Interestingly, the subsections of SOCOM that were most interested in underground mapping were the newly fledged NORTHCOM, the Special Forces command for Das Homeland, creators of the burst of in-city terrorist exercises in January, and SOUTHCOM, which is Africa. Draw your own conclusions on that one, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

One place i would underground map ASAP would be

66 33' 11.58"S 99 50' 17.86"E

They are waiting for something to happen before they re- emerge.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

drphilxr
66 33' 11.58"S 99 50' 17.86"E
They are waiting for something to happen before they re- emerge.

My first thought when you posted that was of this place:
22°3′14"S 125°0′39"E

The Lost City of Pnakotus, from a H.P. Lovecraft story.
Needs mapping urgently.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hey I know it's still old news, but I found something that anyone interested in DUMSTER may want to check out.

First of all, OP the articles in the links you originally posted appear to have been scrubbed from the web.

ANYWAYS...

I was watching Deep Space or some # on Gaia and they mentioned DUMSTER again, and I realized that I hadn't heard about it since Emery Smith on Cosmic Disclosure was talking about it.

Out of curiosity, I decided to take a spin on different search engines from different countries via VPN and I came across an edition of Military Satellite Magazine from July 2008

I download the PDF and word-search "DUMSTER" and what do I find? 3 pages in the middle of it describing ALL about DUMSTER. At least what was lost to the Web-scrubbers.

Here are some quotes:

"Satellite technologies from the military and NASA weather satellite programs (DMSP and NOAA) have been married to develop satellite position information incorporating Global Positioning System (GPS) and the signal intelligence from telemetry prognostic technology developed by Failure Analysis. Failure Analysis proposed DUMSTR to the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO).
The DUMSTR mission is to provide the information necessary to identify underground government, civil, and military assets, at any depth. The NRO has now started the development of DUMSTR."

"In today’s global condition, expanding the information available to our military forces to include the location of threatening facilities located underground is important. The operational DUMSTR matrix consists of a 10 x 10 matrix of satellites in low earth orbit that can identify underground facilities that have been, until now, invisible. In-orbit spares will be available in the event of a satellite failure. The matrix will use more than 100 active satellites to generate the information to identify underground facilities.
Each DUMSTR satellite will orient itself in space and remain at fixed distances from each of the other satellites, at distances no secrets from satellites. This means the matrix will shrink and expand, based on the need to map underground facilities.
The DUMSTR satellites will map underground to a depth of 50,000 ft. The design driver for DUMSTR satellites’ size will be the on-board fuel necessary to maintain each satellite’s attitude and repositioning."

Pretty interesting to me. Check it out:

LINK FOR PDF HERE

I would insert the screenshots of it that I uploaded, but this site is a raging piece of #.

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The new replacement that will be launched (4 satellites at first) have been created in concert with DARPA and private corporations.

The project is called Blackjack

It is being sold to the public as a “starlink-like” web network to provide all necessary actors with full connectivity.

What most people won’t understand when they gloss over is that they have many other sensors and capabilities including next generation multi-spectral and hyper-spectral sensors that will be used for “remote sensing”.

If you’re interested in this deep-earth viewing tech, search deep into REMOTE SENSING

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join