It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does all life have worth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Did you know that the question was given to Jesus, a question we are famiilar with today which goes something like this, "Why would a just God let a child die? Or let someone be born blind, or be born with XXXXX defects" or what have you.

This person, asking this question, thinks that all the people in the Special Olympics are worthless, they wouldn't want to be them, that's why they point to them and say "OMG, God is horrible, look at that FREAK!"

Here's what Jesus had to say when confronted with that Question:

Luke 13 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.

7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

What is Jesus saying here about "sinners" and the people who point to them and say, "look, bad things happen to bad people?" But not only that, because Jesus says more.

He clearly says, that these things happen to us all, which clearly means that all life has worth, no matter how unfortunate they may appear.

And Jesus concludes with the parable, which goes on to show that perhaps a person seems unfruitful now but through God, may yet prove more fruitful than yourself who pities them and curses God for their sake.

John 9 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Look, again, the question of sin, or misfortune. A man born blind, why was he blind? Was it because of sin?

No, he was born blind "but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Abortionists, Liberals, Democrats, Godless heathens, Atheists, they all use these poor unfortunate persons as evidence that God is cruel and non-existent, and that not all life is worth living.

They are the very mouths of Satan himself.
edit on 21-10-2013 by FreeMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

what a question...and of course it depends on what you consider currency for value...like i like money...so most life has no value in that sense..now if i use love for currency..all life is priceless..ya dig?
edit on 21-10-2013 by sikko45 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Abortionists, Liberals, Democrats, Godless heathens, Atheists, they all use these poor unfortunate persons as evidence that God is cruel and non-existent, and that not all life is worth living.

Then why do you call them poor and unfortunate? How of little worth they must be to deserve such a distinction.

God cannot be both cruel and non-existent. Something that does not exist cannot be cruel.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

They are the very mouths of Satan himself.
Satan it is everywehere on Earth these days,and his victory it is like all most done,only in the eleventh hour his defeat will be seen,only he don't know that,because they do not have to feel that.

Without life nothing would exist,not even the Universe or Time.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

sikko45

what a question...and of course it depends on what you consider currency for value...like i like money...so most life has no value in that sense..now if i use love for currency..all life is priceless..ya dig?
edit on 21-10-2013 by sikko45 because: spelling

Well and my point is that Jesus directly comments on the question of what should we use to measure worth?

Because the unGodly will use a measurement that inevitably leads them to the conclusion life is worthless. I know, I used to be one of these people, if I lost a leg I'd rather die, because that's how worthless it was to me.

I've since grown in my capacity to understand that in the eyes of the Eternal Father who can heal anyone, even from our perception of death, Life has much greater worth than we can imagine, and Jesus explains over and over in many ways just how more valuable life really is.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Aphorism

Then why do you call them poor and unfortunate? How of little worth they must be to deserve such a distinction.

God cannot be both cruel and non-existent. Something that does not exist cannot be cruel.

There is hardly any other way to describe them in contemporary language. You can't fault me for our language not having the color blue when I try to describe the color of the sky to you.

I guess you don't think in terms of logical progression like I do...

God is cruel, therefore God cannot exist. If I prove God is cruel, then I disprove the existence of any God. God is cruel because he lets babies die.

See?

No of course not because you're more interested in arguing semantics than the worth of the statements made.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Because the unGodly will use a measurement that inevitably leads them to the conclusion life is worthless. I know, I used to be one of these people, if I lost a leg I'd rather die, because that's how worthless it was to me.

I don't need a god to ascribe meaning to life, nor to recognize its significance.

I've since grown in my capacity to understand that in the eyes of the Eternal Father who can heal anyone, even from our perception of death, Life has much greater worth than we can imagine, and Jesus explains over and over in many ways just how more valuable life really is.

So you're saying that without God, you would view life as worthless? This is just another facet of that recurring issue: if God is the source of our good behavior, that means we are born evil and corrupt.

Is that what you believe?

edit on 21-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I don't need a god to ascribe meaning to life, nor to recognize its significance.

So you're saying that without God, you would view life as worthless? This is just another facet of that recurring issue: if God is the source of our good behavior, that means we are born evil and corrupt.

Is that what you believe?

edit on 21-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I don't need another Atheist telling me how they have the same morals as me without a God, because that's just intellectual dishonesty. Without a God, and an objective reality there is absolutely NOTHING. If you cease to exist when you die then you never existed.

Period.

Take your philosophical views elsewhere this is a discussion on what Jesus said, not what you think.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Would one conclude that this 'God' that you speak of takes the place of personal accountability in your translation of life...i simply use different media conversion equipment. potayto..potaato. pretty simple. Nice talking to you.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
as a non believer in any god. but for the sake of discussion.

if my god controlled everything and chose everything. what the hell would be the point?
i would have to assume people exist with the right to do things or not do things, by plan.
if we cannot perfect our world or overcome things to improve our lives, then why would a god have created us at all. like some kind of toy that does as he wants for the sake of having something kill the boredom.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Imho all life has worth, you seem to refer primarily to human life, personally, since I believe that God created all life, to me that means it all has value, not just human life. I mix a bit of Buddhism in with my Christianity.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Biologically, everything is FOOD for something else; worms, bacteria, etc.
The CO2 we exhale feeds plants.
Every living thing feeds something else, from birth to grave.

There's your worth.

No Philosophy, or squishy Theology needed.

edit on 10/21/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

There is hardly any other way to describe them in contemporary language. You can't fault me for our language not having the color blue when I try to describe the color of the sky to you.

I guess you don't think in terms of logical progression like I do...

God is cruel, therefore God cannot exist. If I prove God is cruel, then I disprove the existence of any God. God is cruel because he lets babies die.

See?

No of course not because you're more interested in arguing semantics than the worth of the statements made.

Well, they have names for their particular conditions. Poor and unfortunate aren't among them. That is your opinion, a superficial one if I do say so.

I don't understand your logic. First something must exist in order to be cruel.

I don't see any worth in the statements you made. They are poor and unfortunate.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I don't need another Atheist telling me how they have the same morals as me without a God, because that's just intellectual dishonesty.

You're right, I don't have the same morals as you. My morals come from a sense of empathy. Does that make my morals inferior to yours?

Without a God, and an objective reality there is absolutely NOTHING. If you cease to exist when you die then you never existed.

Period.

If I cease to exist when I die...then I never truly existed at all? Hmm. I don't believe that that is correct at all. But that would, of course, require that you care about being correct, rather than just being comfortable with the world and your fate.

Personally, I don't have a problem with absolute termination. I don't want to live forever. I want to live just long enough to appreciate everything I've seen and done. Then I'll be ready to go. If I reincarnation, sweet. If I don't, oh well.

Take your philosophical views elsewhere this is a discussion on what Jesus said, not what you think.

My opinion is perfectly welcome here as long as it is civil. I am not the topic, so kindly redirect your replies to the actual subject at hand.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Almost all. The big exception is Argentinians. Their lives are of utterly ZERO value and their existence represents nothing but a waste of food, water and air.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I don't think this thread has any worth...seriously, get yourself a rostrum...you're full of solid gold comedy material...

Step on an ant lately? Got your bug spray ready? Gonna hoe into a steak tonite?

Å99

new topics

top topics

join