It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrifying near miss as two packed passenger planes came with just ONE HUNDRED feet after all four

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Terrifying near miss as two packed passenger planes came with just ONE HUNDRED feet after all four pilots failed to follow instructions.

The near-disaster occurred in broad daylight on June 23 at a position about 30 miles north of Glasgow

Planes had 1,000 on board when they almost crashed over Scotland
Transatlantic Boeing 747s were gradually converging on each other
Air traffic controller ordered left jet to turn left and the right to turn right
But they did the opposite - turning towards each other
Tragedy averted with just seconds to spare as pilots actually saw each other

Two jumbo jets with 1,000 people aboard were just 100ft from crashing over Scotland because all four pilots turned the planes onto a collision course after failing to follow instructions.
The transatlantic Boeing 747s were gradually converging on each other side-by-side for ten miles as the crews prepared for their ocean crossings.
An air traffic controller who spotted the danger immediately ordered the plane on the left to make a left turn and the one on the right to make a right turn, to move them further apart.
But they did the opposite - bringing the two massive aircraft closer together.

The board said that the danger to the aircraft was increased because they had earlier needlessly been ordered by air traffic control to fly at the same height - 34,000 ft.

This was in July yet we are just hearing about it now!

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 21-10-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I would scream if I was looking out my window and saw that! lol I would scream.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It's normal to only hear about this much later. You don't hear about it until the investigation is done. Standard procedure.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Double post

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

edit on 21-10-2013 by intrptr because: post redacted because I din know what the hell I was talking about...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
How strange they would both do the opposite and air traffic control would have them that close at the same elevation. I mean how many mistakes can that many people make to get to that result. Just odd.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

intrptr

OMG...

According to your second pic the vertical separation at closest approach was a thousand feet? Still a good pucker factor, pilots depend on ground control to steer them away from each other.

A thousand feet of vertical separation makes it less scary than the "missed by a hundred feet" but still major pucker factor and still an issue that needs (if it hasn't already) to be addressed that they turned the opposite way to the directions.

When I was flying P-3's, I always spoke back directions for clarity.

"Come right to heading 330."
"Roger, turning left to 330."
"NO! RIGHT! NOT LEFT!"

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

One was climbing at 100 fpm, one was descending at 1100 fpm. A thousand feet vertical is within minimums under RVSM.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

One was climbing at 100 fpm, one was descending at 1100 fpm. A thousand feet vertical is within minimums under RVSM.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I doidn't see the little arrow indicators or know that the readouts were rates of altitude change. Sorry everyone.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Technically this wasn't a near miss. At that point they were 2.8 nautical miles apart, and 1100 feet apart vertically. That's within minimums for RVSM.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
What`s to be afraid of? The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fly within inches of each other upside down and head on passes.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

NavyDoc

intrptr

OMG...

According to your second pic the vertical separation at closest approach was a thousand feet? Still a good pucker factor, pilots depend on ground control to steer them away from each other.

A thousand feet of vertical separation makes it less scary than the "missed by a hundred feet" but still major pucker factor and still an issue that needs (if it hasn't already) to be addressed that they turned the opposite way to the directions.

"NO! RIGHT! NOT LEFT!"
apparently according to the recorders they did read back the instructions given to them and still did the opposite???????? don,t figure

news.sky.com...

"The board was surprised that all four pilots had misheard or misinterpreted the avoiding action instructions despite at least one of the crews reading them back correctly.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

Like this?

www.youtube.com...

(Yes, it is fake but cool vid. anyway)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

sparky31

NavyDoc

intrptr

OMG...

"NO! RIGHT! NOT LEFT!"
apparently according to the recorders they did read back the instructions given to them and still did the opposite???????? don,t figure

news.sky.com...

"The board was surprised that all four pilots had misheard or misinterpreted the avoiding action instructions despite at least one of the crews reading them back correctly.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

Wow. What are the odds that all 4 pilots in two aircraft read back the instruction correct but do the exact opposite at the same time? One of those things I guess.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Sammamishman

Like this?

www.youtube.com...

Now if that were real and I was in either plane I would have needed new underwear.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Sammamishman

Like this?

www.youtube.com...

Now if that were real and I was in either plane I would have needed new underwear.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

Given the aircraft and allotted time in the sim and those pilots could pull off maneuvers very similar to that.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Back I the 80s my husband's first flight ad he looks out the window and says look how close that plane is . It was under us about 500 ft and off to the left about 1000 ft but still close
That night on the news we heard about a near miss over Orlando Florida

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
Back I the 80s my husband's first flight ad he looks out the window and says look how close that plane is . It was under us about 500 ft and off to the left about 1000 ft but still close
That night on the news we heard about a near miss over Orlando Florida

Now that sounds like a near miss.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Now that I'd like to see in a controlled situation.......from a distance though, because if thing go bad, they go big-time bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join