It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2ND Giant Oarfish surfaces dead on CA shore.. what's going on in our ocean(s)?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

So soon after the first recent monster oarfish was found at CA coast.

What would be the reason(s) these deep sea monster's are dying? Quakes?

Or Oil drlling along Cali/Mexico coast? Or Radiation? So many issues with out ocean; this just adds to the huge dolphin dyeoff and swarming earlier this year and last.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Well being on the coast of Ca I am terrified by this. I need more information!

Oct. 18, 2013: There’s a Japanese legend that oarfish beach themselves to warn of an impending earthquake. And, in fact, dozens of them did just that in Japan about a year before the devastating Fukushima quake and tsunami in 2011.

enenews.com... han-a-week-what-is-going-on-video

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ditto, I live in Los Angeles county myself and the eventual big one will be catastrophic with the population densisty as well as numerous skyscrapers, bridges, etc.

Intriguing theory od these deepsea monsters' peril being a visual, mortal sign of imminent big one(s). Gotta look more into this hopefully as a team.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Have they checked it for radiation?

It might be a small amount even, but when so many other pollutants are being dumped in the ocean by the tons on a daily basis, radiation could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back to many more denizens of the ocean.

Theres only so much a biological organism can take before being unable to function.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And who believes in "omens"? People would rather trust their instruments, right?

Instruments didn't foretell the big one in Japan. Instruments tell you what you already know, theres an earthquake happening.

"In ancient times Japanese people believed that fish warned of coming earthquakes, particularly catfish," Hiroshi Tajihi, deputy director of the Kobe Earthquake Centre, told the Daily Telegraph.

"But these are just old superstitions and there is no scientific relationship between these sightings and an earthquake," he said.

Maybe. Animals have "predicted" quakes before on land. Some study involving pets in California (wheres my magic wand).

I could see a possible connection with the bottom dwelling fish, however. In under sea fault zones there may be precursor quakes that release bursts of sound energy like infrasound that could kill fish at or near the bottom. If there is a wave of these fish like in Japan in the near future... who knows?

Okay, so its the telegraph

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, just look at how sound travels in water versus in air. If there is screeching earth going on, in preparation for a plate shift, that would be rather painful to those who rely on their sensitivity to sounds. Perhaps even the electromagnetic particles that release during an earthquake could somehow mess up those deep sea dwellers. Maybe they are trying to get away from where ever those sounds are coming from, and as they get father away, they find themselves in water not fit for them, thus they die. Just my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

They go to the surface to die when they are sick or old. Just pure speculation on my part, but I would say that the increase/frequency of dead oarfish washing up probably has more to do with Fukishima and the increased radiation levels in the pacific than it does some sort of earthquake prediction.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

DeadSeraph
reply to post by Char-Lee

They go to the surface to die when they are sick or old. Just pure speculation on my part, but I would say that the increase/frequency of dead oarfish washing up probably has more to do with Fukishima and the increased radiation levels in the pacific than it does some sort of earthquake prediction.

Could well be but sometimes legends have a pearl of wisdom, so it was about a year before Japan quake that these rare creatures washed ashore, i take note. Wish there was more info on why they died, considering the lengths they can get to old age seems improbable as the cause. You would think they would check for radiation not knowing the habits of these creatures.

This article from Mar 2010 shows they took note of it then:

Oarfish omen spells earthquake disaster for Japan
Japan is bracing itself after dozens of rare giant oarfish - traditionally the harbinger of a powerful earthquake - have been washed ashore or caught in fishermen's nets.

According to traditional Japanese lore, the fish rise to the surface and beach themselves to warn of an impending earthquake - and there are scientific theories that bottom-dwelling fish may very well be susceptible to movements in seismic fault lines and act in uncharacteristic ways in advance of an earthquake - but experts here are placing more faith in their constant high-tech monitoring of the tectonic plates beneath the surfa

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 21-10-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Interesting, they actually have used this to predict quakes.

ODD OARFISH BEHAVIOR HELPS JAPANESE PREDICT BIG QUAKES

According to the Tokai University Marine Museum in Japan, an oarfish was caught two days before a major earthquake on Niijima island, near Tokyo, in 1963. When shock waves hit Uwajima Bay in 1968, the same type of rare fish was caught only a few days before.

Whey 2 days before they were surfacing.
www.deseretnews.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
not just the 2 oarfish but also a saber toothed whale washed up which is extremely rare. could it be a quake predictor? i don't know. i'm thinking it's more related to the oceans becoming more acidic and the temperature change. i think we'll start seeing more of the unusual and i think people will keep ignoring it as a sign of a much larger problem and passing it off as the age of the internet where more people report things..... when the reality is it's NOT normal.

ETA link to article that talks about the whale too - www.okcfox.com...
edit on 21-10-2013 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think the 'omen' is just something we should observe. If animals start washing up on the shore something is probably wrong in the ocean or gasses are being released and we should make note of it, go through our mental preparedness checklist and move on... more often than not (way more) these 'omens' turn out not to be a precursor of any specific disaster such as a major earthquake. Yet we ignore major signs that something is extremely wrong, such as coral dying world wide.
edit on 21-10-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I agree with you here. It's another piece to file away while we stay relatively prepared for a disaster or whatever may come, anyway.

The contemporary accounts of the New Madrid series also recorded accounts of animals acting very strangely to include masses of them moving as a whole, as if in migration ..but land critters don't migrate. All kinds of weird things in the papers for the months prior.

If more like this starts showing a pattern of 'odd', I'll get a bit more nervous for family out there.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hmmm...was just searching and reading on these fish being EQ predictors. If that is true then I wonder if there are any other signs.

2 Oarfish in found this close in time together seems very odd in itself. A single sighting in general is said to be extremely rare from what I can find on the net.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Remember the timeline for those preparations in October. The deadline was the 1st November right?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hmmm yea regardless of whether its an "omen" or not, fact remains 2 rare, giant deep-sea oarfish were found washed up near/on CA shore and that means theres likely other giants that have died but sunk, etc, which means something is going on ecologically..

www.cnn.com...

Marine biologists have a mystery to solve: Why have the carcasses of two rare oarfish washed up on Southern California shores within a week?

Wow, two dead oarfish dead within 5 days. Could they have been a mated pair or something?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Oct. 18, 2013: There’s a Japanese legend that oarfish beach themselves to warn of an impending earthquake. And, in fact, dozens of them did just that in Japan about a year before the devastating Fukushima quake and tsunami in 2011.

Yeh right, and sailors used to believe when they saw birds they were approaching land lol...dumb-asses........wait a minute

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Kali74

I agree with you here. It's another piece to file away while we stay relatively prepared for a disaster or whatever may come, anyway.

The contemporary accounts of the New Madrid series also recorded accounts of animals acting very strangely to include masses of them moving as a whole, as if in migration ..but land critters don't migrate. All kinds of weird things in the papers for the months prior.

If more like this starts showing a pattern of 'odd', I'll get a bit more nervous for family out there.

The Roman general and natural historian, Pliny the Elder, noted that "even the birds do not remain sitting without fear" before a quake. An ancient Greek historian in the city of Helice wrote that he was astonished to see all the animals in the city - rats, snakes, weasels, even the worms and insects - leaving town. Five days later, Helice was leveled by a massive earthquake and sank below the sea.

Throughout history, snakes have crawled out of their holes, pigs have become depressed, dogs howled, and chickens and geese become all aflutter minutes before the earth moves. Even elephants are said to move out into the open, away from dense forest.

Scientists are divided on the reasons for animals' sixth sense. Alarmed by vibrations or unknown electric fields, songbirds in Japan are silenced before the ground shakes.

www.deseretnews.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They also found a Saber-Toothed Whale on Venice Beach a few days ago:
link

In ancient times, Japanese people believed that fish warned on coming earthquakes.
And Coincidentally, or not, much of California has been undergoing an earthquake swarm lately.

Image 1 shows 87 earthquakes in map area - Time 2013-10-20 so far...

Image 2 shows 897 earthquakes in map area - 7 Days and updated to 2013-10-20 so far...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well the fish death thing is interesting and I read another story about fisheries completely going dry prior to large EQ's.

One story that caught my eye was this one in Vancouver, BC. I know it is not in CA, but it is definitely the West Coast and very recent.

‘Troubling Mystery’: Complete collapse of sardine population on West Coast of Canada around Vancouver — Official: It’s ‘unexpected’ — Expert: Humpback whales rarely seen, they’re telling us something changed… nobody knows what’s going on

Source

And this one from prior to the EQ's in Japan...

An Azeri scientist has linked the recent incident of California's mass fish death to the earthquake in Japan.

Source

And then this one just prior to 2011 New Zealand EQ....

107 pilot whales die after mass stranding on remote New Zealand beach

Source
edit on 10/21/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Char-Lee

I have a gut feeling you're right, and unfortunately my gut feelings are usually right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join