It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Improving one's health through earthing. Please share your experience.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I can't watch the video right now but if it is about having your skin come into contact with the earth - being barefoot, that is easy enough. I love going barefoot in the summer. People sometimes comment (and this is just at home like when someone stops by), with "how can you not wear shoes outside" - like I'm some kind of weirdo. Some say their feet are too tender to go barefoot and some think it's unsanitary. With the later - I'm at home or at the park maybe. How unsanitary can that be? I guess people are paranoid about germs from the ground?

I was such a hippie kid - barefoot everywhere I went. I was rarely sick - one bout of bad flu as a kid is all I remember (when a bit older) - and chickenpox. I also had pretty tough feet whereas now they are more tender. I've heard being barefoot is a good way to do refelxology - stimulates rarely accessed nerves that help heal. Maybe that's why it hurts more as I get older. Thanks for sharing the info.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

No, it's not the same as being "grounded" like an electrical fixture.

Jeez, all you naysayers mocking the OP are pretty "smug" in your omniscience. :eyeroll:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Pardon?

It never ceases to amaze me just how gullible people can be.
"Earthing" has to be up there with the best of them lol.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

wildtimes

Jeez, all you naysayers mocking the OP are pretty "smug" in your omniscience. :eyeroll:

I agree people should be more open minded, that there are forces we don't understand, powerful forces.

I have witnessed them and dealt with them, many times.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i am very tuned to 'grounding'...but going around barefoot is not the universal remedy as touted.

3/4's of the time your walking on some sort of artifical surface... asphalt, treated decks, composits, concrete...etc
the atmosphere around you has pollutants, chem-trail poisons, radio-waves, other high energy waves, even radiation fallout from Fukushima...noise pollution, and animal pee all over the ground from birds-squirrls-domestic pets, etc

now i do a lot of gardening & lawn, landscape things around the yard...and i dont habitually rinse off or do whole body showers immediately after getting dirty & sweaty..... that should improve my 'grounding' at least in terms of durtion of contact with mother-earth

the grounding i do is more like a meditative state rather than a 'huckleberry finn' experience of slogging barefoot thru mudpuddles and all that

go do some dowsing... then make sure you frequent those areas where the vortices pop up, just being in the area of a vortex is helpful in refreshing you.
(i use the copper wire dowsing practice, mostly because those L shaped pieces of wire are pretty much available on a moments notice)

on-the-other-hand... most of us are not born in the year of the Rat & have wood/earth as adjuncts...
so, the artifical-abstract world with plastics, metals, refined elements, a worldscape of electrons & mathematics is not detrimental to your health/well being/earthly attunement as implied in the video & the 'grounding/earthing' concept itself
I see all the proponents in the video speeding around in snowmobiles instead of snow-shoes
none of the folks seem to have an enhanced influence with the circadian rhythm

Circadian Rhythms Fact Sheet - National Institute of General ...

Circadian rhythms are physical, mental and behavioral changes that follow a
roughly 24-hour cycle ... Are circadian rhythms the same thing as biological
clocks?

if you are already tuned-in with the act of " grounding" onesself--- (but without the barefoot necessity)
just pacing your life, activities, behaviors will no doubt benefit you physically & emotionally...

side note: the ACA = 0bamacare & grounding/earthing... that will be an unacceptable practice as far as i can tell
edit on 22-10-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

wildtimes

Watch the video. Yeah, it is the same. Exactly the same. He sticks a fairly badly done grounding rod into the dirt. That's how your house does it for electrical fixtures.

And the video explicitly states "soaking up the Earth's free electrons". That's not going to happen, unless you were positively charged to begin with. And as you don't have much capacitance, even if your hair was on end from positive charges, you're not going to get many. And once you have no net charge, that's it. No more electron flow. You can't "soak them up".

In the video, he has two flowers (there's the low number) and states that he treats them differently (I even added in the stuff from the flower shop to one...). Yes, it's as bad as the "school girl microwave water experiment". He ought to stick to running a zoo in Alaska.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Whatever. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll take my very talented, gifted doctor's word for it, rather than yours. She and her colleague managed to unscrew my spine with NO invasion whatsoever.
If not for their skill and experience, I'd have rods in my back right now, and be partially crippled.

Thanks anyway, Genius. Your loss. It's a known fact that contact with dirt enhances the immune system. And it doesn't hurt. The lady in question is not going to be "electrocuted" by putting her hands on dirt, or her bare feet into dirt.

(Grass doesn't count - it has to be SOIL.)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by Bedlam

Whatever. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll take my very talented, gifted doctor's word for it, rather than yours. She and her colleague managed to unscrew my spine with NO invasion whatsoever.
If not for their skill and experience, I'd have rods in my back right now, and be partially crippled.

This has exactly what to do with "grounding", btw? Oh, and kudos, ask your chiropractor how she did in field theory or even, say, basic circuits. Whoops, they don't take physics or engineering. So, they won't know a lot about 'grounding', never having dealt with it. But don't take my word for it, watch the video, where he sticks a wire in the dirt and runs it inside. It's about minute 7. This is about the same as any other "earthing" proponent.

I'm sure my optometrist is great at measuring astigmatism. I'm also really sure he can't design a basic amplifier, nor solve the most basic statics problem, nor do calculus at any level. Because they don't need to learn that. Same with your chiropractor. Probably fast with the vitamins, not bad with the back massage, nowhere to be found with math or physics.

eta: A fast look at Palmer and Love show that neither chiropractic school requires more than one semester of general chemistry for a doctorate of chiropractic. They do have the two semesters of basic biochemistry that, say, a two year RN would have, and only one anatomy semester. No general science at all. No math. They do have a microbiology course and lab, which sort of surprised me, again, same as a 2 year RN.

Thanks anyway, Genius. Your loss. It's a known fact that contact with dirt enhances the immune system. And it doesn't hurt. The lady in question is not going to be "electrocuted" by putting her hands on dirt, or her bare feet into dirt.

No one said anything about being "electrocuted". Don't know where you dug that one up at. However, the lady in question won't have some mystical healing influx of electrons either, unless said lady has some magick way of sustaining a net negative charge while in contact with a neutral conductive surface, and that would be a first. Otherwise, sorry, no net flow of electrons. Oh, and the "contact with dirt" thing isn't because dirt is magickal, it's because it has bacteria and parasites in it. Without constant little challenges, your immune system lies down on the job. Nothing like a few pinworms and E. Coli to get the system hopping.
edit on 22-10-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think I'll buy a job lot of those grounding pads and pimp them up up a bit.
Soaking them in Himalayan pink salt should add an extra electrolytic spice to the whole protocol probably leading to full astral projection and remote viewing abilities.
Possibly if you use it constantly you'll develop telekinetic abilities too.
Like Carrie.
Or Uri Geller.

I'd probably be able to retire in a couple years.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurius

Throughout the video;
first story about assistant brings flowers on Valentines day, maybe Lilly
then doctor on east coast
over and over again as the simplest example.

I say give it a try even weeds should work.
Cut them off, put in vase in water, ground one and not the other.
Simple enough?
edit on 30-10-2013 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

In the video there is one time they plug into the ground on a outlet.
So yes any grounding would seem to count.
Any electronics supply can sell you a variety of anti static straps, mats and other equipment for grounding.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

donlashway
reply to post by Kurius

I say give it a try even weeds should work.
Cut them off, put in vase in water, ground one and not the other.
Simple enough?

You need to do exactly the same thing to both, with the exception of a single variable. In the video, he adds the stuff he got from the store to the non-grounded one, but not both. You also don't know that they both had the same amount of water, same group of flowers, on and on. Because none of that was properly controlled. Also, you'd have to put the same wires in both vases, in case "wiltiness" ends up related to "copper".

And you need more than just two samples. And the person doing the evaluation shouldn't know which wires are actually hooked to ground and which are not.

So, maybe find a big bunch of weeds that are pretty uniform, dig them up, put them in numerous identical containers with identical water with identical wires that go where you can't see as an evaluator, and number the vases. Thus the "wilt evaluator" will not know by looking which vases are grounded and which not. You'd be surprised how knowing affects a subjective judgement like "how wilted are these". Also, if water is being added, you have to add either exactly the same amount to each at the same time every day, or keep the vases filled between two levels that are the same on every vase. And the water added should come from the same source, and in this case it might mean you'd need to run a gallon of water into a jug, shake the jug, then divvy it up. If you just run a squirt out of the tap for #1, and a squirt for #2, then #25 is going to get a different level of chlorine, oxygenation, metal ions and temperature than #1 is.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Reading through this science article, I found a few interesting tidbits in their randomized double-blinded studies that actually show there may, indeed, be some evidentiary causation to this apparent electron flow exchange being touted by "grounding" and its possible effects on human physiology:

Section 2.4.1. - Reductions in Overall Stress Levels and Tension and Shift in ANS Balance:

Upon earthing, about half the subjects showed an abrupt, almost instantaneous change in root mean square (rms) values of electroencephalograms (EEGs) from the left hemisphere (but not the right hemisphere) at all frequencies analyzed by the biofeedback system (beta, alpha, theta, and delta).

This is showing actual, readable changes in the left hemispheric EEG. So if "earthing" is effecting EEG readings, what's that telling us ? Verifiable data is not a common denominator in pseudoscience.

Section 2.4.3. - Immune Cell and Pain Responses with Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness Induction:

Complete blood counts, blood chemistry, enzyme chemistry, serum and saliva cortisol, magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy, and pain levels (a total of 48 parameters) were taken at the same time of day before the eccentric exercise and at 24, 48, and 72 hours afterwards. Parameters consistently differing by 10 percent or more, normalized to baseline, were considered worthy of further study.

Now parts of this particular study may be up for question IMO (hard to tell if it's double-blinded or not), but the part I find interesting are their actual measurements of WBC counts and creatine kinase - which are both important tools in medicine used to diagnose inflammation and muscular breakdown.

Section 2.4.5. - Reduction of Primary Indicators of Osteoporosis, Improvement of Glucose Regulation, and Immune Response:

In one experiment with non-medicated subjects, grounding during a single night of sleep resulted in statistically significant changes in concentrations of minerals and electrolytes in the blood serum: iron, ionized calcium, inorganic phosphorus, sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Renal excretion of both calcium and phosphorus was reduced significantly.

A single night of grounding produced a significant decrease of free tri-iodothyronine and an increase of free thyroxin and thyroid-stimulating hormone. The meaning of these results is unclear but suggests an earthing influence on hepatic, hypothalamus, and pituitary relationships with thyroid function.

This study is showing actual, readable changes in TSH and urinary calcium excretion. In the field of endocrinology, they understand full well that prolonged low TSH levels leads to osteoporosis. So again, here's another study that may very well be in need of further investigation to our current understandings in this area.

This, to me, is very interesting indeed with regards to there actually being some viable scientific data that indicates this "earthing" thing might have some real meat to it, which justifies the need for further research into this field of study, if nothing else.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have tried it and also noticed positive/pleasing experiences. I do think they probably don't really know what is going on and how it does what it does, but like the OP suggests, just try it yourself and note what happens or doesn't happen.

my experience: I go through bouts of terrible insomnia which leads to anxiety attacks, sometimes crippling in many ways.

After reading about this, I tried it last Spring. I was going through one of these bouts and into about the 5th day of it if I remember correctly, I went out and walked through grass for about 30 minutes. I fell asleep that night very easily and slept soundly and had no anxiety issues!!!

I kept doing it and was able to sleep normally for about 2 weeks. I drifted back into my old routine and was soon experiencing the problems again. After that, I did a little experiment on my own and got my niece to kick off her shoes and walk in the grass- I didn't tell her about earthing at that time. She has chronic degenerative disk disease (4 surgeries so far by age 24) and is almost always on heavy pain killers.. she called me the next day and said she slept so good last night and she didn't even take her pain pills!

It does seem to do something. Maybe it's just in my head, or perhaps there are forces a work we know nothing about, but I do feel more relaxed and just 'at ease' in general if I remember to 'earth'. I usually stop doing it in Summer because the chiggers are so bad here and the grass gets hard and spiky- so I guess I need to make myself one of those mats! Lol

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Sounds like a lot like new age mumbo jumbo invented by tree huggers.I mean if you don't like living in civilzation just go to some deserted rocky island and live naked for all i care.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

CranialSponge
Reading through this science article, I found a few interesting tidbits in their randomized double-blinded studies that actually show there may, indeed, be some evidentiary causation to this apparent electron flow exchange being touted by "grounding" and its possible effects on human physiology:

Section 2.4.1. - Reductions in Overall Stress Levels and Tension and Shift in ANS Balance:

Upon earthing, about half the subjects showed an abrupt, almost instantaneous change in root mean square (rms) values of electroencephalograms (EEGs) from the left hemisphere (but not the right hemisphere) at all frequencies analyzed by the biofeedback system (beta, alpha, theta, and delta).

This is showing actual, readable changes in the left hemispheric EEG. So if "earthing" is effecting EEG readings, what's that telling us ? Verifiable data is not a common denominator in pseudoscience.

Section 2.4.3. - Immune Cell and Pain Responses with Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness Induction:

Complete blood counts, blood chemistry, enzyme chemistry, serum and saliva cortisol, magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy, and pain levels (a total of 48 parameters) were taken at the same time of day before the eccentric exercise and at 24, 48, and 72 hours afterwards. Parameters consistently differing by 10 percent or more, normalized to baseline, were considered worthy of further study.

Now parts of this particular study may be up for question IMO (hard to tell if it's double-blinded or not), but the part I find interesting are their actual measurements of WBC counts and creatine kinase - which are both important tools in medicine used to diagnose inflammation and muscular breakdown.

Section 2.4.5. - Reduction of Primary Indicators of Osteoporosis, Improvement of Glucose Regulation, and Immune Response:

In one experiment with non-medicated subjects, grounding during a single night of sleep resulted in statistically significant changes in concentrations of minerals and electrolytes in the blood serum: iron, ionized calcium, inorganic phosphorus, sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Renal excretion of both calcium and phosphorus was reduced significantly.

A single night of grounding produced a significant decrease of free tri-iodothyronine and an increase of free thyroxin and thyroid-stimulating hormone. The meaning of these results is unclear but suggests an earthing influence on hepatic, hypothalamus, and pituitary relationships with thyroid function.

This study is showing actual, readable changes in TSH and urinary calcium excretion. In the field of endocrinology, they understand full well that prolonged low TSH levels leads to osteoporosis. So again, here's another study that may very well be in need of further investigation to our current understandings in this area.

This, to me, is very interesting indeed with regards to there actually being some viable scientific data that indicates this "earthing" thing might have some real meat to it, which justifies the need for further research into this field of study, if nothing else.

Did you read this extremely important part of this "scientific" study?

"Disclosure

G. Chevalier, S. T. Sinatra, and J. L. Oschman are independent contractors for Earthx L. Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research, and own a small percentage of shares in the company."
With an option to purchase more shares if people believe this study has anything to do with scientific method.

This "study" (it's little more than a marketing tool rather than serious scientific research) is primarily designed with the end-point already concluded, and those conclusions are based upon false positives.

One part of it is actually indicative of a poor study design i.e. this part;
"Most grounded subjects described symptomatic improvement while most in the control group did not. Some subjects reported significant relief from asthmatic and respiratory conditions, rheumatoid arthritis, PMS, sleep apnea, and hypertension while sleeping grounded. These results indicated that the effects of earthing go beyond reduction of pain and improvements in sleep."
Apart from being non-specific (and seemingly a panacea) the fact that sleep apnoea (I use the English spelling here) is mentioned says to me it's fabricated. The reason being that sleep apnoea is usually an obstructive anatomical problem which cannot be treated physiologically. There is no basis in any of the descriptions of how earthing works that could remedy this so therefore by inclusion it invalidates the study on its own.

What would be useful would be to see if this study replicated independently anywhere as single studies hold no sway whatsoever. They're generally just precursors for further study.

However, if you buy this nonsense from them the power of suggestion and the will to not be wrong or disappointed will probably have a positive effect on you...

I really need to get into this quack business, easy money.
edit on 6/11/13 by Pardon? because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It's the "electron flow exchange" part I don't get.

You are going to tend to be at ground potential anyway. You will shed any charge of any real potential to the air over time, faster if it's humid. If you don't have a net positive charge when you "earth", NO electrons are going to "flow" or "exchange" with you.

And if you ARE positively charged when you "earth", you really don't have a lot of capacitance, so not many will "flow", and once you are neutral, that's it. No more flow.

An electron's an electron. They are all identical. You don't get "fresher" ones from dirt.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Hi,

For some reason I can't get the sound on my computer. What is 'earthing?' If it what I think it is then maybe there is something to it.

I have always played barefoot when I was a kid. We got into dirt, dug up worms, done all kinds of things. Rolling in the grass, etc...

Even though I was a tomboy I have never broken a bone, had a sprain, or a muscle pull. I am now in my forties. I have only been hospitalized once (for getting tonsils out) and I am very rarely sick. I am not on any prescription drugs, either.

My job is outdoors. Is there a connection? I believe so. Too many kids nowadays spend time indoors playing video games or just watching tv. So many of them also have asthma, allergies, or other health conditions.
edit on 6-11-2013 by texasgirl because: Added on

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Bedlam

Kurius
reply to post by Pardon?

Have you tested it or do you know someone who has to derive that conclusion???

Unless you've got a net charge, grounding yourself isn't going to result in the net movement of electrons onto or off of you. You don't pick up extra by grounding yourself.

The video used flower cuttings to show the difference in the rate of wilting in "grounded" and "non-grounded" jars. Also, human blood samples were lab tested after two hours of grounding. I'm not saying these test results can't be tampered with for the video, but if you like, the first one could easily be replicated. Share with us your findings before making the statement you did. But do watch the video first. I know it is long. I think the author had taken a year to complete it.

If you give me an approximate time index to that in a 75 minute video, I'll be glad to find he has no controls, an insufficient sample size, and no blinding.

We do have a net charge. And it changes when we're grounded. Easy to show with a voltmeter.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Tusks
We do have a net charge. And it changes when we're grounded. Easy to show with a voltmeter.

Amazing that I've never noticed it...since I've got some really nice electrometers that I use to measure such things.

I'd like to see how you use a voltmeter to measure that. The impedance of a stock voltmeter would be far too low for a stock voltmeter to see a net charge before it discharged it due to the comparatively low input impedance. And from whence would a net charge come? You get transient charges from triboelectric sources - shoes will bounce you up and down a few hundred volts even on an anti-static tile floor - but the charge decays in seconds.

A typical Fluke voltmeter wouldn't resolve a reading before the 10meg input impedance dumped your 150pf average capacitance to ground. That's why you use an electrometer for that.

eta: oh, and the change when you ground yourself is that it changes to zero. But if it's zero to begin with, not much change.
edit on 6-11-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join