It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another comet unexpectedly brightens up - C/2012 X1 (LINEAR)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

GaryN has posted many times about this, and I feel discussing this will derail my thread off-topic. But the long and the short of it is that, apparently, all the heat and light we see and feel is created in our atmosphere when the Sun's invisible radiation interacts with it. On the other hand, he stated that the imaging equipment used in space is sensitive to infrared and UV wavelengths, so perhaps the Sun emits infrared and UV after all? GaryN's post above is even more puzzling. The Sun creates hydrogen??? We better not dig deeper.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

You say what i said you would say-coincidence. Coincidence just like the cherblinsk metorite hitting earth while DA15 was making its very close approach.
Coincidence that the Deep inpact comet observer breaksdown literally hours before data on ison was to be transmitted,after years of working perfectly.
Ah coincidence, the explanation with little value.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It's been said that all of the planets are heating up, not just Earth.
Could this be true of the comets as well?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

eriktheawful
reply to post by GaryN

So then:

When you step outside at noon on a hot summer's day, the large bright object in the sky that's lighting everything up, you are telling me that you feel no heat from it at all?

Might you explain where we (the Earth) get's it's heat from then, what keeps our atmosphere warm, and what exactly is it that is giving me a sun burn if I stand outside during the day too long?

You don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole with GaryN. Among his claims is that the Sun and Stars would be invisible from space because the only way humans can see photons with our eyes is when the photons react with Earth's atmosphere. Also, camera lenses and/or camera CCDs and/or film used in space have special coatings that allow the photons from the Sun and stars to be seen.

He claims that the space programs of The US, Europe, Russia, China, Japan, and India are hiding the fact from us that a person can't see the sun from space (although I'm not sure if he gives a reason why this alleged fundamental of nature would be intentionally hidden from us).

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

It helps to imagine the 'rays' from the sun as being more like laser beams. In a vacuum, or in a clean air environment, you can not see the laser beam until it hits something. In a smoky room, you can see the beam, and energy in the laser beam is being converted to visible light, and heat, whenever it strikes atoms in the smoke or dust. This is also why space based telescopes are really wavefront detectors, and not like a regular camera at all. So think of Earths atmosphere as a smoky room, with the laser beams being converted to light and heat as they pass through the atmosphere, and it is the light and heat from all those 'collisions' in the atmosphere producing the transverse EM waves that reach us at the surface. The "laser beams' the sun emits are mostly x-ray, EUV and UV, BTW.

@wildespace
Sorry, one last derailment...
The solar wind, which is protons, which are hydrogen ions, puts out about 4–6 billion tonnes per hour. CME's, which contain ions of all those elements I mentioned, can put out another couple of billion tons per shot, and those CMEs do contain heavy ions, up to iron, though they don't know where it comes from.
Simple, if the Sun is creating them all!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join