It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police were just here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I was sleeping in my room when a police officer knocked on the door earlier today and asked to search it because they smelled something in the house, they were here because there was a warrant out for the arrest of one of my room-mates but they wouldn't tell anyone what it was for - he hasn't left the house for months.

There is the distinct possibility that he was arrested for missing his court date involving a D.U.I. - although I personally drove him to that court date, and they said that he did not have one.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

So did you give consent to search? Did you ask to see/read any warrant? We need details, man.

That's scary about the court date, them saying he didn't have one...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well, you didn't get beat-down, arrested or harassed in any way.....sounds like an acceptable experience.

It also sounds like your roommate needs to get his business taken care of. Otherwise, they may come back.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

he hasn't left the house for months.

--probably because he knew he had a warrant. Eventually they come to the address they have to serve that warrant.

There is the distinct possibility that he was arrested for missing his court date involving a D.U.I. - although I personally drove him to that court date, and they said that he did not have one.

Not when they serve the warrant. If found, the "fugitive" is detained and issued a new court date then released. Now he has a Failure to Appear tacked on to the original D.U.I. with more court fees and a bigger fine.

I've known people that play that merry go round for years without ever going to court. That was a while ago, I don't know about now in which jurisdiction.
edit on 20-10-2013 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Weird, I do not remember writing this O.P. - I just logged back onto A.T.S. it seems like a magically condensed and more coherent version of the other, more involved thread I wrote. I'll go with it though.
edit on 20-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

darkbake
reply to post by intrptr

Weird, I do not remember writing this O.P. - I just logged back onto A.T.S. it seems like a magically condensed and more coherent version of the other, more involved thread I wrote.

Are you sure they didn't billy-club you..?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

darkbake
reply to post by intrptr

Weird, I do not remember writing this O.P. - I just logged back onto A.T.S. it seems like a magically condensed and more coherent version of the other, more involved thread I wrote.

?? I'm sorry, you lost me.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Haha you mean taze me or something? There is another thread I already wrote on this subject earlier today, I have no idea why I would start another one.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

He probably did smell something.

How do you not remember?

But yeah, at the OP, guilty byway of clerical error sucks, but it happens.

Your friend needs to get on top of the situation asap.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

darkbake
Weird, I do not remember writing this O.P. - I just logged back onto A.T.S. it seems like a magically condensed and more coherent version of the other, more involved thread I wrote. I'll go with it though.

Hmmm.... You must not have turned over all your contraband to the police this morning then.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'm getting that deja vu feeling again...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I actually did! We went through the whole house and gave them every last bit of everything. I went back to sleep after, I guess it is slightly possible I woke up in the middle of my sleep and wrote something on A.T.S.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The entire we are going to search because we smelled something is a load of garbage, just intimidation tactics.

edit: Oh, you did have some....LOL

Would have stepped outside, closed the door and asked to see the warrant.
edit on 20-10-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This thread will be gone soon.....Thanks for the story though.

Glad you didn't get beat.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Yeah, my mom was here 5 minutes earlier (literally) and didn't smell anything. So I think the police can just say they smell something even if they don't, it might give them false probable cause, for one.

Thanks for your advice, Midnight.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Your mom is probably not going to say anything or is naive. Did you actually come out and ask..."hey mom, can you smell that?"?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Erongaricuaro

darkbake

Hmmm.... You must not have turned over all your contraband to the police this morning then.

lol

These situations bother me too, mostly because of the slippery slope aspect.

If your sister's husband's brother (or cousin twice removed) steals some drugs from a pharmacy, how long before it is presumed that your property is searchable?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

MidnightTide
The entire we are going to search because we smelled something is a load of garbage, just intimidation tactics.

edit: Oh, you did have some....LOL

Would have stepped outside, closed the door and asked to see the warrant.
edit on 20-10-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

If you tried that here in the UK you would be arrested for " suspicion of illegal drugs " the cops here only needs a suspicion then they can arrest you and search your property without a warrant.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

darkbake
reply to post by intrptr

Seriously?

Has your browser been open between OP'S? Multiple tabs?

Maybe you started this one, then ended up starting another one on this topic which you posted but your original (now this OP) was still sitting there and was then posted by you accidentally or inadvertently?

Jeez...now I have deja vu AND a headache...

Let us know if you figure it out.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Yeah I can give you some details here. My room-mate C. had a court date for his D.U.I. in order to turn in his paperwork over a month ago, so I drove him down there, but the court date wasn't in the system. So we talked to the clerk, and asked her a bunch of times if she was sure that it wasn't there, and she said yes, so we asked her what we needed to do, which turns out was to pay a fine.

The reason we were so specific with her was because the first time he had a court date in January, they pushed it forward a week without telling him, so when we got there, he got arrested for missing it as soon as we came to the court house.

----------

So the suspicious thing is that they suddenly decide, today, on a Sunday, to come arrest him and wouldn't tell us why, and then say it smells smoky in here when it doesn't.

I was asleep at the time, and they knocked on my door and asked to see my I.D. and said they smelled "smoke" and needed to search my room, but it would be easier if I would just hand over what I had.

Which was worth less than $10.00.

----------

Meanwhile, there is a kid involved, who has been coming by our house asking for cigarettes. We tried to get him to go away, but he came back yesterday saying we had called the cops on him, and mentioned stuff about getting even.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join