Fusion Engine/Mars in 30 days

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

NASA, and plenty of private individuals, want to put mankind on Mars. Now a team at the University of Washington, with funding from the space agency, is about to start building a fusion engine that could get humans there in just 30 days and make other forms of space travel obsolete.

Source

“To power a rocket, the team has devised a system in which a powerful magnetic field causes large metal rings to implode around this plasma, compressing it to a fusion state. The converging rings merge to form a shell that ignites the fusion, but only for a few microseconds. Even though the compression time is very short, enough energy is released from the fusion reactions to quickly heat and ionize the shell. This super-heated, ionized metal is ejected out of the rocket nozzle at a high velocity. This process is repeated every minute or so, propelling the spacecraft.

Source

PDF File

Further

This seems highly feasible and could replace chemical propulsion in the near future. However the articles left me wondering why this technology, is not being applied to making a fusion power plant on Earth.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
S & F!

I'd love to see the world advancing away from chemically propelled engines and closer to a ZPE development! This has been a long time coming and if developed properly will drive (no pun intended) the transportation market and world's energy systems into a new age!

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

kingofyo1
S & F!

I'd love to see the world advancing away from chemically propelled engines and closer to a ZPE development! This has been a long time coming and if developed properly will drive (no pun intended) the transportation market and world's energy systems into a new age!

The reason tech like harnessing Zero Point Energy will never come to fruition is because of the potential for great destruction said technology could and would unleash upon our world. And human nature pretty much ensures we would use it to destroy ourselves.

Sad but true.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

andy06shake

The reason tech like harnessing Zero Point Energy will never come to fruition is because of the potential for great destruction said technology could and would unleash upon our world. And human nature pretty much ensures we would use it to destroy ourselves.

Sad but true.

Well then I guess luckily for us we have perfectly safe and harmless forms of power generation like coal and nuclear power stations..... Oh wait!!!!!!!

Maybe doing it this way could work, If Im not mistaken other conventional forms of power generation came about as a result of military tech. This time it seems like it will be the other way around, a change is as good as a holiday they say

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

We have been able to travel through space at speeds near half of light since the 1970's. It actually involved making a space craft, whose propulsion was based on detonating nuclear bombs.

To the best of my knowledge this is much more safe. You see the "pellets" being sent into the magnetic field produce an energy equivalent to one gallon of rocket fuel.

Further, this is not about ZPE, this is about gaining energy from matter.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Thats freaking insane!!!

But hey if it works, great!!!!

Whats to stop us launching a deep space vehicle with all the best space propulsion?!

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

You're talking about Project Orion, and it could, at best, have only reached about 4-5% the speed of light.

The project was scrapped in the 1960's I believe due to the test ban treaty.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Actually it is more like 33% the speed of light. Although the estimate is really rough and in theory 1/2 the speed of light is possible.

Depending on how it is set up anywhere between 1000 to 10,000 Kilometers per second.

10000km = 6213mi 1252.9yd per second

Further
edit on 20-10-2013 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Kashai
reply to post by andy06shake

We have been able to travel through space at speeds near half of light since the 1970's. It actually involved making a space craft, whose propulsion was based on detonating nuclear bombs.

To the best of my knowledge this is much more safe. You see the "pellets" being sent into the magnetic field produce an energy equivalent to one gallon of rocket fuel.

Further, this is not about ZPE, this is about gaining energy from matter.

Any thoughts?

I would venture to say that as long as the pellets created end expended as fuel meet at least a minimal clean energy requirement with minimum environmental impact, then we should indeed invest! and if this method could be harnessed to power an electrical grid for use in states to replace the long dated and environmentally harmful coal use that we should indeed go for it!

Also, I would love to get into a converation with you sometime about ZPE, and hopefully you could school me on the subject

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kingofyo1

But the finding also raises a physical problem: there's nothing to stop arbitrarily small waves from fitting between two mirrors, and there is an infinite number of these wavelengths. The mathematical solution is to temporarily do the calculation for a finite number of waves for two different separations of the mirrors, find the associated difference in vacuum energies and then argue that the difference remains finite as one allows the number of wavelengths to go to infinity.

Although this trick works, and gives answers in in agreement with experiment, the problem of an infinite vacuum energy is a serious one. Einstein's theory of gravitation implies that this energy must produce an infinite gravitational curvature of spacetime--something we most definitely do not observe. The resolution of this problem is still an open research question.

Source

Space/time is naturally curved so an issue is, if or not, it is curved into infinity? Cleary we cannot observe that but if we could we could have access to ZPE. IMO ZPE is a structural issue and in consideration so could be consciousness.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This kind of thing is awesome, we are working on multiple type of revolutionary propulsion right now. If one of them pans out our advancement could be staggering.

NASA is also working on testing an actual Warp Drive with a much smaller power source than originally believed to be needed per Alcubierre's model.

This one would open our solar system in ways never before experienced. If the Warp drive works it would open up the universe. Either way both could open up potentially unlimited resources making it easier to actually mine and transport mined goods in space. If we could start colonizing other planets that would help to solve potential issues with Earth becoming overpopulated.

I love this kind of news, thank you for posting op.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I love seeing stories like this. I would love to see a new energy technology finally break through this controlled barrier, but will I? Probably not in my lifetime, but I hope I'm wrong

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by inquisitive1977

I just hope they can figure out the whole "harnessing antimatter" thing!

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by inquisitive1977

In context the Warp Drive we are developing will be able to travel at 1,860.000 miles per second. In perspective the planet Saturn is about 1 billion miles from here.

The Oort cloud is about 1 light year a way and it would take about 1/10th of a year to get their (about 6 weeks)

In perspective 10 light years in one year.

The problem with speeds like this is in relation to the spacecraft encountering an object. Equivalent in mass to the object. to the power of the effect of traveling at 10x that of light (actually the effect could imply a much more massive object). So at warp I a space craft encounters an object roughly the size of Manhattan Island, that is unknown within its path and inescapable. Anything smaller would be deflected by the spacecraft and as well could accelerate to speeds, hopefully it will not hit anything important.

Traveling to Saturn at Warp would probably mean traveling to a location first using fusion drive. From that point we could then avoid any problems given there were no obstacles in our path.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

All stars produce anti-matter the question is then getting close enough to collect it.

For the record the topic is fusion propulsion.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I believe the issue it hand is more shielding, when traveling at the speed of light and you hit a soccer ball sized rock you tend to come out the other side in rough shape...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tancred

When I consider warp drive travel, I think that if the time-space in front is warped, and a rock or anything is in that space, it would just be pushed behind the craft as would be air for propulsion, but I could be entirely bass-ackwards on the whole thing?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Actually you are correct and it would accelerate to incredible speeds as a result of contact.

A fusion engine would be equivalent to "Impulse Drive" in Star Trek.

It would enable us to navigate solar systems without, potentially causing a disaster.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

ya know, we may be considering this in entirely the wrong terms...

What if, and bear with me on this, the warp system was instead of instantaneously speeding someone or group of people up to lightspeed, or above lightspeed forward in space, it actually made us warp through timespace to a predestined location by bending timespace such as when you put two opposite sides of a piece of paper together and touching the two corners? There would really be no need to consider rocks or meteors getting sucked into the warp system as it would be shut down as a secondary fusion drive system took over for the slower speed actions

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I may need to look it up some more but from what I understand the idea behind a potential Warp Drive is that you do not have to travel fast. Space essentially gets warped so you can pretty much get from point a to point b instantaneously, depending on how much you are able to warp it would determine how far apart those points could be. Not sure how you get an actual speed out of that, I haven't seen it but maybe I am misunderstanding something.

This fusion drive though is awesome though and travel through our Solar System would greatly open up. I hope just one of the potential new groundbreaking propulsion systems work out. The gains we could get are pretty much not even measurable.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join