It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico and Hawaii to ban GMO foods.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Mexico and Hawaii Ban GMO as People Worldwide March against Monsanto.

The Big Island of Hawaii County Council Committee has passed a GMO prohibition Bill by a vote of 6-2. The Bill 113 passed out of committee and is progressing to the full Council, set for October 16th. If the bill passes, it will be a significant victory for those, worldwide, who are concerned about the dangers of GMOs.

The legislation will ban all open air cultivation of GMOs, with the exception of papaya which already has genetically modified forms being grown on the island.

According to the press release issued by La Copachera, a Mexican Federal Judge has ordered Mexico´s Secretariat of Agriculture (SAGARPA) and the SEMARNAT, which is a secretariat similar to the Environmental protection Agency (EPA) in the USA to:

Immediately suspend all activities involving the planting of transgenic corn in the country and end the granting of permission for experimental and pilot commercial plantings”.

The article referenced a final vote to be held on the 16th. Good news:

The council voted 6 to 1 to make Bill 2491 into law. The lone vote against the bill came from Councilman Mel Rapozo, who said the measure unfairly targets biotech companies and sets the county up for lawsuits.

The law is set to take effect in nine months — with or without the mayor’s signature, because bills receiving five or more votes are veto-proof. (That said, the bill could theoretically run into trouble if members of the council who voted in favor of the bill defected in a vote to override a mayoral veto.)

This is a testament as to why we need to get good people elected on a local level. The fight does not have to be against the machine in DC.

Never underestimate the power of the individual. In this case, a single judge took it upon himself to protect his countrymen.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

This is definately a step in the right direction. I despise GMO's and Monsanto. My only concern is when you switch from GMO's to non-GMO seeds...it's hard to get things to grow in the same place. The remnants of the round-up ready seeds is still present and hampers new growth. What we really need is a safe, effective technology that can reverse this.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Great news,.
lets just hope Monsanto doesnt pull any strings with Obama.inc to fight it.
Funny thing though,. most of us that know about this ongoing fight never see
the FDA involved in any comment. But yet they will tell you when Beef is bad or peanut
butter is contaminated. When there seems to be enough Information that many countries seem
to be realizing the hazards of GMO manipulation to food, that this is gaining a real traction
globally, the deniers may eventually wake up.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Good , I hope more countries do the same thing , and maybe after that we will hear of the owners wearing diapers , and hopefully made of GMO and it eats their back gas chambers .

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

nikkib0421

This is definately a step in the right direction. I despise GMO's and Monsanto. My only concern is when you switch from GMO's to non-GMO seeds...it's hard to get things to grow in the same place. The remnants of the round-up ready seeds is still present and hampers new growth. What we really need is a safe, effective technology that can reverse this.

Is it because of the seeds or because of the round up?
Just wondering.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Sorry, I had kids talking and messed up my response a little. It's because if the round up. The seeds are engineered in a way that makes them resistant to round up. So, it's not the seeds themselves. It's all the crap they spray in the fields.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This is great news!

Why should we keep trying to get a label on GMO foods,
when it can be banned, which is really the answer?!

Ban it all I say, abolish it from the face of the earth!

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Maybe you should change the title. Please point out where it is said that Mexico and Hawaii are banning GMO foods. I don't see that where that is stated.

A Mexican judge has put a temporary suspension of field tests in Mexico. Mexico does, and will continue to import GM corn from the U.S.

A bill which is yet to pass in Hawaii county (not the state) does not ban GM plants. Nothing about a ban on GMO food.

The Kauai county bill ( 2491, again not the state) does not ban the cultivation of GM crops. Nothing about a ban on GMO foods.

Nothing about food there.

edit on 10/20/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There is not a ban.

According to the Kaua'i County Clerk's office, the amended version of Bill 2491 will require farms to disclose pesticides use and the presence of genetically modified crops if they use more than five pound of 15 gallons of restricted-use pesticides annually.

The bill also requires a 500 foot buffer zone near medical facilities, schools and homes – among other locations.

Supporters say this is a victory for the Kaua'i community's "right to know".

"It's a very important issue in our community and I'm really happy, I'm very pleased with members of the council for passing this bill," said Councilman Hooser, who helped author and introduce the original bill.

"We just are simply asking for the right to know what toxic pesticides are being sprayed and also asking, I have to say, for reasonable buffer zones around schools, hospitals and houses," Hooser added.
Read here
edit on 20-10-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Phage

Nothing about food there.

Because GMO organisms and crops are NOT food at all,
they are toxins overall.
edit on 20-10-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

It seems you agree that the title of the thread is erroneous then.
But there are a lot of people who would disagree that GM plants are not food and there isn't much evidence that they are toxic.

edit on 10/21/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The use of roundup on the crops is a bad thing, not only because it affect the people who handle the product and harvest the fields, but also because it affects neihgbouring populations. Also, the glyphosate stays in the crops, so regular people who buy food products at the supermarket are consuming the remains of the pesticides.
Many glyphosate studies are being paid by monsanto, just like they pay politicians to avoid banning laws from being passed.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by payta

I can understand the concern about pesticide use and the Kauai county law addresses that specifically.
While the use of glyphosate resistant crops has increased the use of glyphosate as more are planted, it has also reduced the use of more harmful herbicides and insecticides.

new topics

top topics

join