It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation Advice - Frames of Reference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
A short extract from the summary section of a page on the Buddhist Frames of Reference, written by Ajaan Lee. Just posting it because it's helped me quite a bit since first reading it not long ago.

The four frames of reference can be reduced to two: physical and mental phenomena, or - another way of putting it - body and mind. Even though they are divided into four, it is simply the current of the mind that is divided. When you come to the essence of the practice, it all boils down to the body and mind. If you want really to simplify the practice, you should focus on investigating the body and then focus on investigating the mind.

1. To focus on investigating the body: Be aware of any one aspect of the body, such as the breath, and then when you can keep focused on it accurately, spread your awareness to observe other aspects of the body, examining them from various angles. While making your investigation, though, don't let go of your original focus - the breath. Keep examining things until you've gained clear and true insight into the aspects of the body, and the mind becomes more quiet, still and subtle than before. If anything arises while you are investigating, don't fasten onto it in any way.

2. To focus on investigating the mind: Set your awareness at one spot or another, and keep that awareness perfectly still. After your mind has been still long enough, examine the ways it then changes and moves, until you can see that its movements, whether good or bad, are simply a form of fabrication (sankhara). Don't let yourself become preoccupied with anything you may come to know, think, or see while examining. Keep your awareness in the present. When you can do this, your mind is headed toward peace and clear insight.

Page is here, hope it helps some of you too if you decide to give it a read : Frames of Reference - Ajaan Lee

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread/reminder,
I have been having a lot of difficulty lately relaxing and letting go of thought when trying to meditate, when up to a few months ago all it took was a few minutes and there I was.
It's definitely not like riding a bicycle, if you don't practice for a while it's like starting from scratch!

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

athousandlives
It's definitely not like riding a bicycle, if you don't practice for a while it's like starting from scratch!

Haha, have noticed that too. I can leave meditating for 3-4 days, then it can sometimes be almost like being back at square one for a while. I think that's why I make sure to get back to doing it again once that period of time without having done it returns. It can be badly frustrating to get moving in that case, but once you do you can kind of reconnect to where you'd been before, if you've done enough in the past. Good luck with yours if you start again anyway.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Today is your day!
Eternal & timeless
As you step in your way
The birds chirping & whistling at your stay

Today is the TIME!
For you to continue your rhyme
Eternal & timeless & cosmic you shine
A god, channeling the angelic sublime

Today is NOW!
& may you continue your FLOW
From the past to the future
You knowing you're the CharACTer of your show.

Have a great day!

RobHines: This was intended for you wall.

THREAD RELATED: There are infinite states of consciousness! Human capacity stay balance! Meditate - Ponderate - Observe.

I replied to a comment you left a year ago on one of my threads & I enjoyed your words. Namaste~

new topics

top topics

join