It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are 'All Men Created Equal'?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If you will read it in context, it is talking about rights. All men are created with equal rights.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —....."

This isn't rocket science folks. Context.
edit on 10/20/2013 by Klassified because: correction

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

I think we are created equal.

How we develop and manifest ourselves and our will to be is not.

Some people feel they lose themselves by conforming even in the slightest, so they NEVER opt in when concerning others. Others ALWAYS think of others in their actions.

I would say those that think of others and live for their common man are superior. Call me a Nazi, what ever.

People who want to just be are not people I consider equals to people who actually sacrifice for others. They want to just be too, but they want their world to be more and consider it more important than themselves.

If you want to surf and chill and blah blah blah,.....then do so. You are not the same as others who try and sometimes fail. Even in their defeat they are superior to those that just want to fart their way through life.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Klassified
If you will read it in context, it is talking about rights. All men are created with equal rights.

This isn't rocket science folks. Context.
edit on 10/20/2013 by Klassified because: correction

Bingo!

And for further context, I will state that to me, a basic right is something the imposes no obligation on anyone else in order for you to have it. In other words, your life, your property, your ability to defend yourself are all among your unalienable rights. No agency of man on earth has the right to remove any of these from you except by your consent or through oppression or force.

Things like marriage and medical care are rights for no one. One is something you only obtain by the consent of at least one and often two or even more others, and the other is a service that must be provided you by another person to claim it as your right which would make that person a slave to your needs.

But I digress.

We should all have the same unalienable rights, and we should all stand as treated equal before the law. That's basic justice. However, there is a large movement to try to create equal outcomes for all, and when that happens, you lose the second part of equality - equal standing before the law - as the law must then advantage some to the detriment of others. Thomas Sowell explains these two competing views of justice very well in his book The Quest for Cosmic Justice. Anyone who wants a good understanding of both sides of the argument should pick it up.

Obamacare is a good example of a law that advantages a few to the detriment of many in an attempt to create an equal outcome. Will the cost be worth it? I really doubt it.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join