It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are 'All Men Created Equal'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The Declaration of Independence leading to the formation of the Constitution of the United States of America states:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —....."

For the sake of updating meaning to today's world let us say 'all men and women are created equal' and then let us ask how does this apply to the current political circus of US politics. Can a minority of politicians claiming authority under the laws and Constitution of the United States obstruct and so interfere with the government of the United States in its attempt to bring those of a lower economic strata the right ot sufficient food to eat and minimum of health coverage so as to maintain the right to life? Are these politicians the grandest of hypocrites in claiming they represent the people and Constitution of the United States. What say you people? What is the law? Are we going to defend the principles of the United States from these grand hypocrites and politicians of sedition?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

Considering that the founders did not include slaves or women in that statement it can basically be considered to be BS from the time it was written and therefore has no standing today.

Does sound pretty though doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

AlienView
The Declaration of Independence leading to the formation of the Constitution of the United States of America states: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal

Just fancy words. I've never met the same person in a different body. Since everybody I've ever met is different, one can assume we are nowhere near equal ... and probably didn't even start out that way. I've met many folks who are my better, some who are not.

ETA: Erhmagawd ... Spooky and I are in agreement on this one ... and her post finished better than mine started. See what I mean?
edit on 20102013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

These rights that are equally bestowed upon you Americans, depend for their authenticity on an ancient middle-eastern tribal war-god who supposedly gave you them.

Is it not time that you abandoned your reliance on the imaginary deities of long ago, and as a nation, begin the long walk to adulthood?

Jehovah is a fine example for anyone wanting to kick the stuffing out of Palestine, justify misogyny, or wipe out the Arab race.
However, if you want to see the effects of following "Him" in modern America .....
Just look around you.

mistersmith.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Snarl
Just fancy words. I've never met the same person in a different body.

You are confusing the congruency or identity relation with the equality relation.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I have no doubt that some humans will always have advantages over others. They are born smarter, stronger, healthier and often richer than others. But the beauty of the Constitution as it was so instituted and later evolved is that there is one clear meaning and intent - IN THE EYES OF A GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS MUST BE MAINTAINED. No one no matter how rich or smart should have more of a right to live than others no matter how poor or dumb. Impossible you might say but oddly enough Chief Justice Roberts of the Supreme Court shocked his conservative supporters when he allowed Obama care to stand
as law - siding with a basic right of all to medical coverage which nonetheless still favors the rich - but to continue as the US has done was inhumane and does not reflect well on a civilized nation stating equality as a basic principle.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
equality is a marxist value, as is political correctness.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What are rights?

Do people without health insurance deserve medical treatment without which they will die an early death?

Now suppose that young (or old or wife of) man simply can't afford it.

Isn't that an infringement of his right to life?

Guess not.

It seems to me these natural/God given, inalienable Rights about which much ado is made are nothing but a pretty hollow talking point.

The hypocrisy is thick in the air.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
sigh you guys gotta be #tin me with this thread about equality.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Why?

Cause it challenges the programming?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Pejeu
Why?

Cause it challenges the programming?

No because we've been through this, we've solved it at the cost of great expense to our people.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

People are not equal, never have been never will be, if they were then we would have no diversity and hence be doomed as a species!

edit on 20-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Pejeu

Do people without health insurance deserve medical treatment without which they will die an early death?

Let's say you were on fire and the only person around who could possibly save you was me. Would you wish for me to be set upon by a swarm of killer wasps?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Would it be hypocrisy or irony?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Pejeu

Now suppose that young (or old or wife of) man simply can't afford it.

Isn't that an infringement of his right to life?

Guess not.

It seems to me these natural/God given, inalienable Rights about which much ado is made are nothing but a pretty hollow talking point.

If "God" bestowed everyone with an inalienable "right" to life, why does anyone die at all?

"Right to life" doesn't mean everyone else owes you a life; it simply means others may not actively prevent you from living.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Are 'All Men Created Equal'?

Yes. We are created equal. There is nothing that states that "outcomes" have to be equal, however.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

I think that's a good point Observor :-
" "Right to life" doesn't mean everyone else owes you a life; it simply means others may not actively prevent you from living. "

We don't need any rights at all.
We just need to know that no-one else has any rights regarding us.
If no-one has the right to kill, we don't need to regale ourselves with rights bestowed by deities of dubious origin, pieces of ancient paper or governments of ill repute.

And Beezer -- sorry to disagree (again) but I've lived with a woman for many years, and I can safely say that I am not her equal. I happily settle for the state of equilibrium we enjoy, where I make the important decisions - (should we return to the gold standard, invade Syria, support antidisestablishmentarianism etc etc) , while she takes care of the rest.
And I'm not alone ....

mistersmith.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mistersmith

I will caveat that all men are created equal and all women are created better.

(I'm a guy that's been married for too many years to argue the point!)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer has it down :-
"I will caveat that all men are created equal and all women are created better."

If herself sees that, I may end up with it tattooed across my forehead ....

Stay safe Beezzer, give the badgers a wide berth for a bit eh?

mistersmith.

edit on 20-10-2013 by mistersmith because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2013 by mistersmith because: Congenital idiocy.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

If man was created equal, we'd all be the same thing and occupying the same space. There is no actual self-evident equality.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
All humans are conceived equally, from there inequality is the norm.

What year are you born in?

Are you female?
Are you rich?
Are you poor?
Will you be neglected as a child?
Will you be spanked?
Will you be sexually abused?
Will your parents teach you a religion?
Where are you going to be born?
Will you have an education?
Will you be born in a place that is torn by war?
Will you find out you were the result of rape?
Will you be sold into child trafficking?

yada yada...

There's no "born" equal. Even at the time the declaration was written I wouldn't have been included on that "equal" list because I have a vagina.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join