It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China enters global vaccine marketplace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

First World Health Organization endorsement of a Chinese-made vaccine may offer cheap, high quality jabs for the developing world.

A Chinese-made vaccine has been given a stamp of approval by the World Health Organization (WHO) for the first time. The move could herald a step towards China becoming a global vaccine maker.

The vaccine protects children against Japanese encephalitis (JE), a viral brain infection spread by mosquitoes that is common in parts of east and south Asia. The vaccine, formally known as SA 14-14-2, was added to the WHO's prequalified medicines list last week, giving it a WHO quality and safety endorsement. The practical implication is that it can be used by United Nations agencies.

The global supply and availability of vaccines against JE will be “greatly enhanced by the prequalification”, says Bernhard Schwartländer, a WHO Representative in China. “Now, it is eligible, in principle, for purchase by UNICEF and the GAVI Alliance.” The GAVI Alliance, a public–private global health partnership based in Geneva, Switzerland, will be discussing the purchase of the JE vaccine at its board meeting in November.

"It's very meaningful that a Chinese vaccine can go global," says Wang Junzhi, deputy director of China's National Institutes for Food and Drug Control in Beijing.

“We’ve exported 209 million doses to 11 Asian countries since 1999,” says Ge Yonghong, general manager of the CDIBP. “Our vaccine is good and affordable.”

“Our production capacity can meet the demands of endemic regions in China, and South and East Asia,” adds Yang Xiaoming, president of the CNBG.

nature

They are also working on a flu and oral polio vaccine their ability to mass produce will affect world pricing on vaccines. This should bring costs down and enable vaccines to reach areas that have been resistant in the past because of distrust in the suppliers.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I find this scary and unsettling. The quality of goods coming from China is not good. I try to avoid buying goods manufactured there, why on Earth would I feel comfortable receiving a vaccine made there?!

Here is a scary fact for you:

CHINA ACCOUNTS FOR 60% OF RECALLS ANNOUNCED BY THE CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION Boston.com

More sources:

Why Made in China is a Mark of Shame
Made in China: 7 Toxic Imports

I can see it now. Forced compliance with vaccine regulations, vaccines Made in China.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Well the good news is those who are anti-vaccine for the soul reason that they think it is a ploy by the American pharmaceutical corporations can go China now.

In the article I get the distinct impression they will be supplying Asia and Middle East nations primarily.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I still haven't forgotten all the pets who were sickened and those that died from the pet food they produced.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of over site, or honor, in Chinese manufacturing.
I see one big, scary picture in the future....
Nugget

new topics

top topics

join