It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish Christian postulates land bridge in 655AD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
But I want to reply independently of my last reply, I really disagree that "any Catholics" wanted to destroy Pagan writings. In as much that those Pagan writings were not being used against the Church and were just curiosities or ancient manuscripts, the Church was hardly as violent against curiosity as people make it seem which is my point of the thread to begin with because it was a "Catholic" who thought of the land bridge idea.

The idea that Christians went around burning down civilization as it existed is just pure fantasy by anti-Christian scholars today. People who have as little understanding of Christianity as they do of the actual Pagan religions they purport to have been destroyed.

Christianity spread to the Nations....it's a hard concept to understand, but Christianity in ancient times was not seen as an individual religion per-se. Hence a Latin church, a Greek church, an Armenian church, an Irish church, a Syrian church...and so on.

Christians were not out to destroy these nations' histories but were out to convert these nations to Christ, what happened after 700AD (which is when most of the nations were converted until 1400s opened up the world to European sea-travel) was probably more political than religious, or more accidental.

I don't even agree with the Viking raids causing as much damage as Time itself caused.

Books fall apart, age, and become decrepit, if no one takes the time to copy them by hand, then it is doomed to be destroyed by time. They didn't have a printing press to make it easy...not until the 1400s-1600s.

The only major nation to be converted to Christ from 700-1400 was the Vikings, with the most notable being the Rus. So everyone else already had been converted to a large extent or nominally.
edit on 21-10-2013 by FreeMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by DPrice

I agree.

Hundreds of ancient Irish books were burned by the likes of St Patrick and others like him, all in the name of Christianity.

True Irish history destroyed because it was deemed evil.

what books? the people you are talking about didn't write anything down, everything was remembered orally.

two of the most important groups in celtic culture kept track of history and rituals: bards and druids. they represented the gods in various ways, sometimes they overlapped like amerigin who was both.
druids kept track of the yearly rituals, portents and signs, bards wove music and oral history, and reproofed the kings and leaders of ireland.

the bards kept the history so they never really wrote anything down, most of what we know about early irish beliefs come from the very people you trash; the catholics. in fact, most of the history we have from many places is the product of post-christian sources, priests or otherwise.

by the way, from patrick's own writings, he was not really powerful enough to find and burn ancient irish texts anyway, if any existed at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

And what about the Isle of Man, that was settled by Celts and Scandinavians.

But just for historical reference for me, what is the ultimate difference in Picts, Celts, Gaels and Manx?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

I am assuming they meant the Book of the Kells. But Trinity University has quite a large collection of books from Irish History, my own family is listed among the Kings of Loais and in the Ulster Cycle....

Clan O'Mordagh, that's mine. And we know where they lived. But I don't think we come from Brian Boru as many Irish claim, but perhaps Niall of the Nine?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

FreeMason
But I want to reply independently of my last reply, I really disagree that "any Catholics" wanted to destroy Pagan writings. In as much that those Pagan writings were not being used against the Church and were just curiosities or ancient manuscripts, the Church was hardly as violent against curiosity as people make it seem which is my point of the thread to begin with because it was a "Catholic" who thought of the land bridge idea.

The idea that Christians went around burning down civilization as it existed is just pure fantasy by anti-Christian scholars today. People who have as little understanding of Christianity as they do of the actual Pagan religions they purport to have been destroyed.

Christianity spread to the Nations....it's a hard concept to understand, but Christianity in ancient times was not seen as an individual religion per-se. Hence a Latin church, a Greek church, an Armenian church, an Irish church, a Syrian church...and so on.

Christians were not out to destroy these nations' histories but were out to convert these nations to Christ, what happened after 700AD (which is when most of the nations were converted until 1400s opened up the world to European sea-travel) was probably more political than religious, or more accidental.

I don't even agree with the Viking raids causing as much damage as Time itself caused.

Books fall apart, age, and become decrepit, if no one takes the time to copy them by hand, then it is doomed to be destroyed by time. They didn't have a printing press to make it easy...not until the 1400s-1600s.

The only major nation to be converted to Christ from 700-1400 was the Vikings, with the most notable being the Rus. So everyone else already had been converted to a large extent or nominally.
edit on 21-10-2013 by FreeMason because: (no reason given)

I read about the Roman accounts of the Druids, as the Roman soldiers watched the Druid priests dance and call spells out against the Romans, the Romans just waited until they were done then went in and killed them.

I hardly think Christians posed much of a threat as the Romans already took care of that problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join