It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah ancient rock: US scouts could face charges

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I suppose the media attention is damaging enough. People will steer clear of employing them. And the mocking will get to them enough.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Send them to the outback and make them try to push over Uluru and if they can't then stay there until they can.

Stupid pratts.

how many natural wonders are destroyed each year by the mining industry I wonder tho...

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans777

I live in the West with lots of rock formations all over the place.

National or State parks . . . etc. fine. Protect them.

If there's something historic or unique about them and a case HAS BEEN MADE to protect them, fine.

HOWEVER . . . rock formations here are a dime a dozen.

Like the poster above said . . . a rock was in one place, now it's in another. Did any lizards die in the process? Oh well.

Sigh.

Sounds like lots of folks need something more serious than $Trillions in debt and the loss of our freedoms and jobs to be upset about. Sheesh.

Prison for pushing over rocks? What does that teach about priorities?

Silly.

Sigh.

Trash people and the USA . . . ho hum or applause.

Merely move a rock and folks are up in arms.

What an upside down world.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I've changed my mind jail time is very appropriate for what they did after watching this one video below. Notice how many rocks are perfect for them to topple over it's what makes it so awesome to see.
I'm going to say jail time is justified. But thanks to these idiots I actually took the time to see this cool place on the internet. So thanks idiots.

www.youtube.com...

Now if everyone visiting there did what they did what would be there. Hang-em

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

SevenBeans777

Who cares, if there had been a hard rain storm and it toppled over no one would.

Nothing was actually damaged. A rock was in one place and now it's in another place.

edit on 19-10-2013 by SevenBeans777 because: (no reason given)

Who cares if I take a hammer and smash your car? If there was a hail storm and it happened no one would.

Who cares if I throw rocks at your house? If there was a hurrican and it happened no one would.

Who cares people actually think like this? Well, I do.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think the worst part of this is that they are scout masters. They are supposed to be setting an example. As an Eagle Scout, this is especially troubling to me. Granted, the rock could have fallen and hurt someone. If they were truly concerned about that, they should have reported it to the park authorities. IF-and I mean IF-it was some immediate danger and needed to be removed, the should have showed the formation the respect it deserved. They acted like some drunken frat boys about it.

The Scouts always represented conservation when I was active. We were ingrained with a deep respect and appreciation for nature. To call this "just a rock", is like calling the Grand Canyon just a hole in the ground. These guys should face some criminal charges. Fines and probation seem appropriate. Above all, they should lose all membership in the BSA.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ancient Native American Mound To Be Destroyed To Build Sam's Club

Subway Workers In China Accidentally Demolish 3000-Year-Old Tombs

Industry Destroys Part Of The Nazca Lines

Pyramid In Peru Destroyed By Developers

Bulldozers Destroy Maya Ruin In Belize

So yeah, at the end of the day, it was just a rock. If it's ok for a multi-billion dollar company to lay waste to history then what those scout leaders did was nothing.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I will be the first one to say... I need to do some more research on this subject. I admit I did see a short video of the kids pushing the rock over a few days ago and was disgusted with their actions.

1. What I do know... This occurred on a State Owned Park.
2. I did not occur on land owned by the Boy Scouts of America.
3. The Boys in question had no right to take it upon themselves to destruct something that has been standing steady since the area was first documented and declared a State Park.
4. If they had concerns about the safety of the long standing rock formations, they should have contacted the park authority's ... Not take it upon themselves to throw down their jacket and claimed it was to help and old lady cross the street.

I need to do some research on how long these rocks have been documented as stable...

But I do know this... I would be really annoyed if someone I allowed onto my property decided to destroy something I thought was unique and I cherished enough to charge people to see it.

5. The Boy Scouts Of America are NOT part of the Military.

6. I challenge someone to provide me with a legitimate # of boy's in the Scouts who actually went on to join the Military in the last 30 years. ( I have only known 1 in the last 30 years)

7. I think 70% of the people on here are no older than 30.... and you people scare me.

Just to let you know.... I am Agnostic, Vote (R) and think the "Tea party" has some very good points. I am over 40 have 3 children over the age of 18. I was born with a moral compass... The people who think that is it OK to destroy or steal something they do not own.... and feel they should not be punished for such acts.... well.... you are the reason our world has gone to #.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
This is why we must have federal police patrolling the wilderness with drones, if there was not a government shutdown at this instance, the rock would have not been toppled!
/sarcasm...
Anybody think the timing was "just right", folks filming themselves doing stupid things?
I'm sure the rock being loose anyway would have toppled eventually, prolly the next earthquake.
What a non issue, what else are we not paying attention to while we watch boy scouts kicking rocks...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I think all people that haven't seen that rock should sue them, as they prevented them from seeing something it.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The rock is still there.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

mikelkhall
reply to post by ArMaP

The rock is still there.

I know that the rock is still there, but did they put it back where it was?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Restricted

SevenBeans777

Who cares, if there had been a hard rain storm and it toppled over no one would.

Nature affecting itself is one thing. Deliberate destruction is entirely another.

What...like open cast mining?

Deforestation?

Pumping 350 million peoples toilet and industrial waste into the sea every day?

Depleted Uranium radiological munitions fired all over and poisoning the people of the Middle east for generations to come?

That kind of destruction?

It was a ROCK...there are millions of them all over the area, and most are millions, even billions of years old.

So what if a group of kids pushed over a bleeding rock? Firebombing an old people's home...yeah, destruction...rolling over a rock? With all the destruction that goes on in your name around the world every day? Sounds like a bloody joke to me.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

They are criminals as well. Deliberate destruction of history, whatever the kind, is a crime against humanity. History should be preserved.

That rock, however insignificant, represented unblemished history. It was in a protected area and was in no danger of falling on anyone. That was the excuse offered by the vandals, and a lame one at that.

Man destroys everything he touches. I wish something would wipe out man. In his last throes he would understand what he's done to the planet.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

I agree that what these men did was wrong but I believe that it pales in light of what big industries destroys everyday in the name of progress. Yet we are on here calling for these men to face life imprisonment or the firing squad or stoning while doing nothing to big industry for destroying our history in record numbers just to build a Walmart store or a parking lot or make room for more housing.

So yeah I still say, at the end of the day, it was just a rock.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Saying ''they did it for everyone else's safety'' is ridiculous.

The odds that a young child will sit under one and it will fall on them AFTER IT'S ALREADY BEEN STANDING FOR 170 MILLION YEARS is ludicrous. You'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning while looking at your winning lottery ticket.
The odds of someone being under one while some dumb-asses like these tip it over, or someone is hurt during the process, are much more likely.

Secondly, let's point to the issue that no one seems to have brought up. Not just the problem of destruction, but of idiocy. I loathe the moronic types of humans in the video. These people are just plain dumb, unserious, unintellectual, stereotypical, redneck type Americans. They embody much of why a lot of the world hates us and we are often perceived as loud, aggressive, in your face, and just love to blow stuff up and knock things over.

It's also part of the 'look at me do something silly on video and post it online so I can get attention I hope this goes viral and I get a bunch of hits' sort of nonsense reality we're living in. Planking, memes, narcissistic behavior of all kinds..And they often get rewarded!!

How much do you wanna bet these dopes end up on the Today Show apologizing for what they did while trying to put some sort of positive spin on it and also try to promote something so they can milk some cash out of their 15 minutes of fame?

Would it be too much to ask that these hillbilly retards simply enjoy the 170 Million! year old formation instead of doing what they did? ... or at least for people not to try to stick up for them; "It's just a 170 Million year old formation that is a big part of the attraction of being there in the first place. So who cares?..duurrr
"
edit on 20-10-2013 by Jedimind because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedimind

The odds that a young child will sit under one and it will fall on them AFTER IT'S ALREADY BEEN STANDING FOR 170 MILLION YEARS is ludicrous.

ludicrous, you say.

once again for those that say it can't happen.

On April 26, 2003, Aron Ralston was hiking through Blue John Canyon, in eastern Wayne County, Utah, just south of the Horseshoe Canyon unit of Canyonlands National Park. While he was descending a slot canyon, a suspended boulder he was climbing down became dislodged, crushing his right hand and pinning it against the canyon wall.[5] Ralston had not informed anybody of his hiking plans, thus no one would be searching for him.
Aron Ralston

i wonder how long that boulder had been there, 170million 200 million 300, maybe more. big rocks can and will fall. with or with out the help of man.

the one that he was climbing down fell, and the one they pushed, which probably the force needed didn't even match his body weight, look at how big that fella is, i doubt he could even muster the force need to lift his own weight, fell fairly quick and easy. just imagine someone climbing and playing on it, jumping up and down. then splat.

edit on 20-10-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Bigburgh
No ones gonna say it?

OK I will!

I HOPE THOSE TWO HILL BILLY A$$ MUNCHES FACE "STONING" AS PUNISHMENT.

NO WHERE IN MY HAND BOOK DID IT SAY GO RUIN NATURAL WONDERS!

OK I'm done.

Pun intended.

You know what? You might just be right!

First we get them "stoned," then we turn them loose back in the state park and maybe, just maybe, they end up rolling the next rock on top of themselves.

Pun intended.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

What happened with Aaron Ralston has no similarity at all to what the scouts who knocked over the formation said they were trying to prevent (I've heard the excuse was that a child seeking shade under it could've had it fall on them..But as I pointed out, the chances of that happening are practically zero.) Not even close.

Aaron Ralston "was descending a slot canyon, a suspended boulder he was climbing down became dislodged" which is obviously entirely different than anything involving this ancient rock,NOT A SUSPENDED BOULDER btw, in the youtube video which is just on a relatively flat area, not having anything to do with descending a slot canyon or a suspended boulder...c'mon now.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedimind

I finally saw the video.

IF the rock was in a national or State Park etc. then fine them suitable for their income levels and require XX hours of community service . . . posting signs about such; cleaning up; cleaning toilets etc.

IF the rock was on unprotected otherwise public or private lands . . .

--if private--ask the landowner if he wants to press charges. Follow accordingly.

--if public--why such a big deal. That particular rock WAS VERY CLOSE to falling after a few more rain storms and freezing/thawing winters anyway.

The noise on this thread is as though each and every case of such rocks is a PRICELESS HERITAGE.

How many 10's of THOUSANDS of PRICELESS can there be? Sheesh.

The numbers of such rocks has probably never even been calculated there are so many of them. They are NOT individually priceless regardless of all the noise hereon to the contrary.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join