It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hynic Jerk, Insomnia, other Arousal disorders/parasomnias & Full moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Full Moon Effects on Sleep

I just remembered that this morning had sleep paralysis, that lasted seems like minutes and only went away after praying, and that last night I had a serious series of intense hypnic jerks, where while falling asleep but still awake feel like suddenly free falling into abyss and 'jerk' up suddenly, then realize its nothing then try to fall asleep then it happens again and again. Also experied seksomnia, which is something rarer and drier for me as I get older, than i my teens.

Since full moon studies have confirmed an association with insomnia/sleeplessness, taking longer to actually fall asleep, not producing as much melatonin, not sleeping as deeply, and not getting as much sleep, I wonder what other arousal disorders in the Parasomnia area is affected, and could other issues like electromagnetic radiation including bombardment by radio frequency waves, microwaves, and possibly even some ionizing types - nuclear, x-ray, or gamma ray exposure.

Does anyone else have any experience with parasomnias around/during full moons, or whenever; or knowledge od thes mechanisms which seem poorly understood? Ie, for the hypnic jerk it seems to me my muscles including heart and/or blood pressure finally relax into sleep levels yet since I'm still awake/conscious for whatever reason, so my brain alerts that I must be in a free fall or the like since my muscles just became so relaxed

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I've experienced similar things, and always have sleep disruption and weirder-than-usual dreams around the full moon and new moon.

As for the hypnic jerks, I'm an ice skater. I sometimes fall asleep and dream of doing moves on the ice and then suddenly falling, usually face-forward. I'll wake up with a huge jerk just before my face hits the ice. I've also noticed similar jerks from other types of dreams. They feel the same as when you're just lying there, not yet sleeping, and jerk. 'Wonder what the difference is, if any?

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ice skater? Coolness!

I've had some episodes of the jerking in sleep/while waking up, and havent researched that but would think that it makes kinda sense animals tend to start to move as they awake and the jerking might be an evolutionary survival trait passed along, that help us avoid falling off out of a nest, tree branch or off a cliff when the muscles inadvertently move while we awake?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

gardener
...the jerking might be an evolutionary survival trait passed along, that help us avoid falling off out of a nest, tree branch or off a cliff when the muscles inadvertently move while we awake?

That's a darn good theory, Gardener. 'Makes sense. My dog also does something like this in his sleep.

I don't know what he'd ever do if he actually caught the dream squirrel, but it is interesting to see how we all act in that gray area between asleep and awake.

new topics

top topics

join