It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EQ of M 6.8 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

abecedarian
These buttes may not "erupt" but would likely emit lava as surface flows.

That's kind of what I gathered from the article that I referenced, although it did mention that the past flows likely started with an explosive eruption - small in scale, but explosive nonetheless.

If another eruption occurs at the Salton Buttes, it will likely mimic past breakouts, Schmitt said. The volcanoes are made of sticky, slow-moving rhyolite lava. At Obsidian Butte, the lava cooled so quickly it turned into glass. However, pumice and ash found nearby means past breakouts started with a bang. Schmitt said he hopes to study the area in more detail to better understand the most recent eruption. "The amounts of magma involved are relatively small and the impacts of an explosive eruption, meaning an ash cloud, would most likely be very local," he said. "We don't know very well how far any ash would have been dispersed, and that's something I would like to follow up on in the research."

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if the seismic activity in the Gulf of California has any connection to the recent oarfish surfacing in Southern California.

On Oct 13, an 18 ft oarfish surfaced near Catalina.

On Oct 19, another 13.5 ft oarfish was found at Oceanside Harbor, CA.

These are VERY deep water fish (5,000 ft) that are rarely seen ever. My first thought on reading about the oarfish was Fukushima -- that the irradiated water had been carried by currents and seeped down to great depths to kill them.

But with this earthquake, there might be deep water seismic activity that's killing them -- like very hot thermal vents maybe?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

The Oarfish washing up peaked my interest as well. Maybe they are the oceans "canary in the coalmine" type of biological indicator for an up coming seismic event? Does anyone know if any surfaced/died prior to Fukushima? I thought I read that somewhere.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

AuranVector

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if the seismic activity in the Gulf of California has any connection to the recent oarfish surfacing in Southern California.

On Oct 13, an 18 ft oarfish surfaced near Catalina.

On Oct 19, another 13.5 ft oarfish was found at Oceanside Harbor, CA.

These are VERY deep water fish (5,000 ft) that are rarely seen ever. My first thought on reading about the oarfish was Fukushima -- that the irradiated water had been carried by currents and seeped down to great depths to kill them.

But with this earthquake, there might be deep water seismic activity that's killing them -- like very hot thermal vents maybe?

Thing with this is the oarfish were found on the opposite side of a rather large land mass / peninsula from where the quake(s) occurred.

And this idea was brought up already.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Southern California faults:

Lines that go from thin to thick indicate areas where the fault 'slopes' or runs at an angle under the surface.

The dotted black line is what I inferred from oarfish recoveries earlier.

edit on 10/20/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
enenews.com... han-a-week-what-is-going-on-video

Yep 12 surfaced prior to fukushima earthquake.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

The Undertaker

Guess we have 10 more to go?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

The Undertaker
reply to post by AuranVector

The Oarfish washing up peaked my interest as well. Maybe they are the oceans "canary in the coalmine" type of biological indicator for an up coming seismic event? Does anyone know if any surfaced/died prior to Fukushima? I thought I read that somewhere.

I don't know if any surfaced prior to Fukushima. It seems that oarfish are rarely seen:

" ‘This is a once-in-a-lifetime discovery’ Jeff Chase, director of the Catalina Island Marine Institute, said at the time. He added that he planned to mount the animal's skeleton once it had decomposed.”

“Rick Feeney, ichthyology collections manager at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, told the Los Angeles Times last week that oarfish live deep in the ocean and rarely come up to shore. When they do, it's usually a ‘sign of distress.’"

“ ‘Not a whole lot is known about them, because they are sort of secretive,’ he added. ‘We're slowly finding out more about them.’"

Read more: www.upi.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

abecedarian
Thing with this is the oarfish were found on the opposite side of a rather large land mass / peninsula from where the quake(s) occurred.

And this idea was brought up already.

Which is what I get for not having time to read the thread before responding. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

abecedarian

Lines that go from thin to thick indicate areas where the fault 'slopes' or runs at an angle under the surface.

Thanks for posting the image. Makes it a lot clearer.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

The Undertaker

Very interesting.

From CNN’s New Day, Oct18,2013:

“There’s a Japanese legend that oarfish beach themselves to warn of an impending earthquake. And, in fact, DOZENS of them did just that in Japan, about a YEAR BEFORE the devastating Fukushima quake and tsunami in 2011.”

That means dozens of them surfaced in 2010.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

AuranVector

abecedarian

Thanks for posting the image. Makes it a lot clearer.

No problem.

The recent quakes in the Gulf of California are approximately 500 miles south-southeast of where the oarfish were located.
If you open this image of North America...

... then draw a line between La Paz and Hermosillo... the quakes were near the mid-point of that line.

And you can see Los Angeles and San Diego are quite a distance from the quakes and separated from them by the Baja California Peninsula.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
EQ's from today ..

2013-10-21 17:04:10.013min ago 37.53 N 118.83 W 8 3.9 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

www.emsc-csem.org...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

2013-10-21 15:55:26.01hr 22min ago 30.11 N 113.45 W 10 4.7 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

www.emsc-csem.org...

M 3.0, San Francisco Bay area, California
October 21, 2013 08:32:56 GMT

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Probably more will come ..

But we will see, hope not ..

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Pretty much following the pattern that I had observed previously and mentioned on page 1. Not nearly as big, but still seperated by that 12-24 hour timespan.

sageturkey
One thing that I have noticed when watching this area is that (at least from my perception not backed by any data) when a large EQ does occur there, at least a few more big ones follow. Usually separated by a timespan of 12-24 hours.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I'm not sure that your taking into consideration the size of the fault line. Pressure can build yet not release while another area of the fault may give/slip under the same pressure. Biological reactions or "cooking" on a vent, can happen anywhere there's an vent at the bottom.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

The Undertaker

I'm not sure that your taking into consideration the size of the fault line. Pressure can build yet not release while another area of the fault may give/slip under the same pressure. Biological reactions or "cooking" on a vent, can happen anywhere there's an vent at the bottom.

I'm sure I am considering that.

The fault these quakes occurred along have at least two other faults between them and where the oarfish were sighted.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

We weren't there so we don't know. All we can do is look at cause and effect and make logical assumptions. I would like to know what the necropsy shows. The evidence seems to support a correlation between Oarfish surfacing and earthquakes. The deaths of these fish could be the result of the fish making a mad dash to the surface to get away from the seismic activity. The bends. Expanded or blown swim bladders would show up in the necropsy.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Is this a foreshock? There was a 7.1 I believe a couple days before the big one hit japan. I live in oceanside where they found the oarfish and something feels strange in the air. I dunno, hopefully nothing

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join