It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Glen Taylor, HooDoo vandal, probable liar, and all around jerk.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
HooDoos are beautiful rock formations.
They have taken hundreds of millions of years to form.

Now Glen Taylor, a boy scout troop leader, has taken it upon himself to make the world a safer place by knocking at least one over. For some reason none of the youtube videos will embed so here's a link if you want to see the geniuses at work.
www.youtube.com...

The video, which was posted to YouTube by the Salt Lake Tribune, shows them cheering and high-fiving, crowing that they had saved lives. Taylor struck a pro-wrestling strongman pose and Hall sang the 1990 dance-party hit, "Wiggle It — Just a Little Bit."

“We have now modified Goblin Valley,” Hall declared on the video.
usnews.nbcnews.com...

So what kind of person would do this?
Glen was in a minor car crash not long ago. When I say minor, I mean no one went to the hospital.

Taylor filed the lawsuit at the beginning of September saying that after that accident he injured his back and had to "endure great pain and suffering, disability, impairment, loss of joy of life." Taylor also says in the lawsuit that the accident was "debilitating."
www.dailykos.com...

I guess destroying natural treasures has restored his "joy of life"

So now they may be facing felony charges, and rightfully so, but most likely they will be fined and given probation. Over time many of America's natural treasures have been posted "off limits" just because of jerks like this.
Shame on you Glen Taylor, you should be banned from National Parks for life.

edit on 19-10-2013 by tanda7 because: less libel title

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I don't know what is scarier, him being a scout leader and teaching his idiocy to children or that he may be capable of breeding. Either way I hope his fine is severe. I doubt he'll have to do jail time, but I hope he does.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

We saw a group of boy scouts on a trail in the redwoods, the scout leader called all the boys up onto a fallen tree and had them all cutting their names into it. Not very good leaders teaching vandalism. it is almost impossible to go anywhere in nature and see no sign of humans passing through which is what they should be teaching. Change nothing and what you bring in take out!

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I thought I would help (w)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

2manyholes
I don't know what is scarier, him being a scout leader and teaching his idiocy to children or that he may be capable of breeding. Either way I hope his fine is severe. I doubt he'll have to do jail time, but I hope he does.
It's hard to believe the Boy Scouts aren't more outraged.

A Boy Scouts of America spokesman said the organization was also reviewing the matter and would take appropriate action.

"We are shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behavior. For more than a century, the Boy Scouts of America has been a leader in conservation - from stewardship to sustainability," Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith said.

"The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach," he said.

From www.news.com.au
He should be fired on the spot.

Instead of jail they should have to do community services hours cleaning the park or better yet far from the park so they are deprived of enjoying the beauty that he partially destroyed.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I wonder whats next on this douches agenda..filling in the Grand Canyon with concrete? Shooting all the grizzlies in Yellowstone?

NEWSFLASH!!! Nature can be dangerous, if you are overly concerned for safety or paranoid then just stay home in your basement and play xbox, but don't go "modifying" it for the rest of us just because you want to post a stupid video on your Facebook.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Count Chocula

I couldn't agree more.
The beauty of nature is wasted on many people, but the public lands of this country were set aside for those of us who love it just the way it is. Our parks were established because they are unusually beautiful places.

I'm not sure I'm buying the "it was to save lives" story. I think these guys were just being ignorant.

edit on 19-10-2013 by tanda7 because: yup

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Now I'm wondering how many rattlesnakes these yahoos may have killed in order to "save the lives of little kids".
They should do lots of work for park and use this an example of how to leave things in nature alone - even dangerous things. It is nature after all. If safety is your thing stay in bed.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I hope i am allowed to say this after seeing the video.
Those Boy Scout Leaders are clearer mentally ill. Its not surprising why they had to delete the video which they had posted on YouTube.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

These guys knocked over what seemed to be a big rock on top of a smaller rock. Nothing like the formations in the OP's post.

Its not that big of a deal people.

Stop being so easily programmable.

Imagine how great our lives must be that this nothing of an incident has caused all this alleged outrage.

First world problems.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Dumb to knock the top off...

And dumber to video it, and post it on Youtube.

Morons.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I hope these morons go broke for decades personally funding nature education programs. The whole point of preserves and parks is to reap the benefits of seeing and experiencing nature as it is, not to modify it as you see fit. It may be "just a rock" to a few, but it's "just a rock" much in the same way that a Redwood is "just a tree" by the same logic. They're both works of nature's skill, and unless nature places her works in such a way that it's a clear & absolutely unavoidable danger, they should be left alone to progress in their lifespans as naturally as possible. If you can walk around it, or avoid it entirely, leave it alone.

Now, they claim they did it for safety of others? If you're going to pop a squat under something precariously perched such as these formations, and it happened to topple over on you, you had it coming to ya. There's no excuse for idiocy in the wild. Nature is brutal & dangerous, never let your guard down, not even for a breather in the shade.
edit on 10/20/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

You're right, the formations in Goblin Valley are much smaller.

And you're also correct that compared to some things going on in the world, this is no big deal. But just because there are huge problems elsewhere does not mean we should ignore vandals in our state parks.

I'm one of the people who spends a great deal of time enjoying public lands. The fact that there are so many problems in the world is one reason preserving natural beauty so important to me.

These are the places I go to get away from the idiots for a while. I don't want Idiots in our parks.

I don't want them put in jail for this but I think at least a lifetime ban would be appropriate.
I think the death threats they are receiving is probably enough to teach them they have upset many people.

Toppling of US rock formation spurs death threats
www.nzherald.co.nz...

edit on 20-10-2013 by tanda7 because: death threats

new topics

top topics

join