It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I recently decided it was time to learn how to use Linux, so I installed Mint on a new hard drive and started messing around with it a bit.
I normally use Windows 7, and I have a Logitech G510 keyboard. I usually use the macro keys on the side for things like opening and closing browser tabs, closing open windows, etc etc. It's very convenient. However, in order to use those macro keys, I need to have the Logitech keyboard software installed. It seems that in Linux, this is not possible.
Does anyone know a way to get the full use out of my gaming keyboard within Linux Mint? I'm almost not willing to switch over without the extreme convenience of my macro keys.

Keep in mind that while I know how to use Windows, I'm an absolute noob with Linux as I've only been using it for about a grand total of 5 hours with no prior knowledge or experience.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think the Linux Mint forums are your best bet bud.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Have you tried WINE ?
Look it up it may help with windows programs.....
WINE

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Meh. WINE is spectacularly temperamental. If the application you want to use gets less than a gold rating it's probably going to run like a bag of s#*t. (Check WINE HQ).

Plus, it's the incumbent upon the vendor, apparently, to provide adequate software & for a 2% market share (or whatever) I don't see them expending the energy anytime soon.

From a productivity point of view I'd suggest a dual boot or virtualisation, but I don't think that's really the issue here.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Not sure how well this will work, but I found it during a search for your keyboard.

Gnome 15

Some folks seem to be swearing by it, and your model is listed.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

incidentally if you want a better experience from Linux use zorin from zorin home page.looks feels like windows 7

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Thanks, that looks like exactly what I needed.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If you run the gnome desktop it will automatically set it up for you...

new topics

top topics

join