It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nova Scotia Mi'kmaq Rally for NB Fracking Protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Yesterday, many protests occurred simultaneously across Nova Scotia to show support for the protest that took place in New Brunswick .
See that thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Photo from Millbrook First Nations via Truro Daily

Millbrook’s Stacey Tabor was one of about 60 people who participated in the protest on Highway 102, near Millbrook, between Exit 13A and Exit 14, on Friday afternoon. One of the northbound lanes near the Truro Power Centre was closed, allowing the protesters to line the highway with their signs and flags.
 “We’re here to prove a point that we are united and strong and are praying for” others who are fighting against fracking, Tabor said.

Tabor told this paper she was at the Rexton protest on Thursday. “When I got there it was a peaceful protest … but then there was a barricade by the RCMP … vehicles were set ablaze, police were in swat gear, there were snipers,” Tabor told the Truro Daily News. “I was told (by the police) to put my phone (with an in-built camera) away. I felt in danger. We were told to step back, and (the police) lined up in a row and started with pepper spray … they used way too much force, maybe to intimidate (people).”

Link to source: www.trurodaily.com...

While these multiple protests were going on, my husband and I just happened to be in Halifax, and were listening to it unfold on the radio,realizing that we were situated downtown literally around the corner from where it was happening and being told police were on scene and to avoid the area. So we round the corner, see the flashing lights of the Halifax regional police and hubby looks at me and says, " You wanna go?" He knows me too well...
We take a side street, park our truck and walk down to the protest. We joined them on Robie st, for anyone who knows the area, and marched along with them till they blocked a four way intersection. Full credit goes to my other half for bringing his phone and snapping these photos.

Now, this protest was far different from New Brunswick. The police actually blocked the street to allow the protest. We didn't feel threatened by them at all. Drivers honking horns and giving us the finger were more threatening because this took place during rush hour traffic and quite a few were annoyed. All in all it was a good spontaneous experience for us. We are lucky for now that here in NS fracking is not currently an issue, but it could be very soon. Should that happen, we'll be attending more protests like this one.

Further news sources:
thechronicleherald.ca...

edit on 19-10-2013 by AccessDenied because: spelling

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I am in solidarity with all those concerned with fracking, a high-risk practice that has been imposed on us by the governments who have not consulted with us. The natives in NB gave the additional problem of having their traditional non-ceded land rights totally ignored and overtaken by the crown who seems to think it's ok to keep on stepping on people as they do. It is very scary times we live in if our health and the health of the land can be so shoved aside like that.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Wonder if I've been under a rock. I live here in NS as well and this is the first I've heard of it.

We definitely do not need any tracking here, I hope the next time they are going to demonstrate that they advertise it a little more widely the other half of the Provence might like to show up lol.

Thanks for the story it's cool every time I see people standing up for the environment.

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I caught bits of the protest in Rexton on the news .I am not sure how all of this will end or if it ever will .I guess it was always a problem for the Crown ,ie the indian problem .I guess where they kind of control the message to the masses and the masses actually thinking its their land (the Crowns) and the Crown using every tactic in the book and a few that are not ,I can't see this being resolved any time soon . Even with the non natives supporting what the Natives are doing I think the corporations will win at the end of the day . I mean like they got the handcuffs the guns and the military at their disposal through the Crown Corporation of Canada doing their bidding ...peace

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I came across a little opinion piece today in HuffPost that you might find interesting:

Here's a list of such concerns arising from how events in Rexton played-out:

1. CBC photos of 'RCMP snipers' in prone position, scoped-in, taking a bead, are eerily akin to policing missteps at Ipperwash.
2. Torched police cars -- hardly the 'welcome mat' for the Energy East Pipeline.
3. Arresting the local chief of the biggest reserve in NB likely empowers him.
4. Out west, disgruntled chiefs and pipeline adversaries will be taking notes for promoting their anti-energy strategies along those opposed right-of-ways.

So this latest energy hubbub is not about corporate power and exploitation rights. Rather it's about the rise of native empowerment and the deal that Canada has yet to strike with natives that recognizes that they are power-brokers in shaping project outcomes. Rexton is but a symptom that all is not well, right across the country, in terms of business-as-usual approaches for resource access. There's more to come!

Source

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Treespeaker

I agree,had we known beforehand we definitely would have made more time to participate. I believe they simply planned it short notice to due NB events. However,I know there has been talk of it here. I'd like the shale gas companies to know they are unwelcome before they even consider setting up shop here.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I've been following this story in Rexton, Being from Halifax and hearing about went down on Robie Street killlls me that I am just finding out about it now. I would of taken the 5 minute job down with my other half.Thanks for posting!

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LaHaver

We had Energy 103.5 on the radio and had we not,we would have driven past it. It didn't last long,but enough to disrupt rush hour and gain media attention. I fear this won't be the last one.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Very cool to see. I got family that was there
Whole lot of family live around the truro area, I would have been there if I could. Too broke to afford gas, only about an hour away from here if there is no traffic on the highway

top topics

join