It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 13.10 Is Released..Consider using it if ...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

CardiffGiant
its nice having a smooth running system and not having to worry about disc cleanups, defrags, and malware programs and such. its refreshing.

Agreed which is why I really enjoy my Windows 7 gaming machine right now..

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Ubuntu 12.10 up 54 days, 7:56, 3 users, load average: 0.67, 0.88, 0.95

Yes Ubuntu is amazing. Those are my stats above with an easy 50+ browser tabs & several apps open right now! And my hardware isn't anything cutting edge. Just be sure to install Gnome 2 or KDE as a window manager. Unity is horrific IMHO. I stuck with 12.10, though testing 13.10 on another. 12.10 with Gnome 2 is the most stable I've used yet since Ubuntu 7 with a tonne of services running and AV apps galore.

Ubuntu is becoming more of a commercial pig with the same corporate trappings as microsoft but mainly around the search facilities. Fedora and Linux Mint, SuSe are pretty groovy alternatives.
Advanced users should consider Slackware, Cent OS, Debian etc. Slackware gets a second special mention.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

opethPA

CardiffGiant
its nice having a smooth running system and not having to worry about disc cleanups, defrags, and malware programs and such. its refreshing.

Agreed which is why I really enjoy my Windows 7 gaming machine right now..

my windows machines always ran well enough for my tastes but i did maintenance on them. my wife does nothing to hers.
i had her download and run cc cleaner the other day and she couldnt believe what it found.

when i was using windows i always had to do things to keep it running tip top. with linux i dont do anything.

how about you?
do have a windows regimen you go through to keep it sharp?
defrags or malware cleaners or anything?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

CardiffGiant

Not really for my gaming rig...
With an SSD drive you don't and shouldn't defrag.
Malware, I have something running resident so i don't have to manually do anything.

Don't get me wrong..Linux serves it's purpose , hell I run 2 different vboxed distros of it .

I just don't view one system as inherently better than the other.. Too many variables that go into a computer to say that.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

opethPA

CardiffGiant

Not really for my gaming rig...
With an SSD drive you don't and shouldn't defrag.
Malware, I have something running resident so i don't have to manually do anything.

Don't get me wrong..Linux serves it's purpose , hell I run 2 different vboxed distros of it .

I just don't view one system as inherently better than the other.. Too many variables that go into a computer to say that.

for the most part i agree. i have used windows only since 98 and just recently switched to linux. my wife had a mac so i used osx for a bit but meh.
im downloading mint right now.

i just remember through all the versions of windows i have had and all the computers i ran it on, i always had to have some antivirus going and then a slew of things like adaware, cc cleaner, defrags and etc etc.
since my switch too linux i have not done anything and i have no antivirus software running. maybe i am lucky...
i am not what some would call a power user but i download quite a bit. i dont play games and i dont do any sort of social networking so maybe that helps.
i wish i knew more about linux though. i think i am going to get the linux bible from amazon and/or start cruising the linux forums becuase there are things i want to do and can not.
as smooth as i feel it runs, it is not as easy as windows. if i want to download this or that program on windows i just download, install and go but with linux it is a touch more complicated than that.
i want to start messing with tor but there are a few steps involved. other things here and there.

have you seen this?
i think it is a bit pricey but i like it a lot.

blog.linuxmint.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

CardiffGiant
i know its not supposed to take that long.

Then you should see what's wrong and correct it.

Unless you want your wife to have a slow computer.

PS: if people invested as much time with Windows as they do with Linux they would see that, to the end user, they are closer than advertised.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

CardiffGiant
for the most part i agree. i have used windows only since 98 and just recently switched to linux.

Windows 98 was one of the worst, surpassed only by WIndows ME. I jumped from 95 to 2000.
I have been using Windows since 3.1.

i just remember through all the versions of windows i have had and all the computers i ran it on, i always had to have some antivirus going and then a slew of things like adaware, cc cleaner, defrags and etc etc.

I have only had one anti-virus program running, the only problem I had was a virus I brought home from work on a floppy disk, but I removed without the need of an anti-virus. I haven't had a problem since I started using Windows 2000, somewhere around the year 2000.

What people do (specially online) is the biggest cause of problems.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

ArMaP

CardiffGiant
i know its not supposed to take that long.

Then you should see what's wrong and correct it.

Unless you want your wife to have a slow computer.

PS: if people invested as much time with Windows as they do with Linux they would see that, to the end user, they are closer than advertised.

shes does not let me mess with it too much cause she is afraid i am going to make changes.
something happens and she gets used to it.

she does a lot of coupon downloading and this thing called swagbucks. she got hit with a toolbar a while back and cant get rid of it but she dont want me to mess with it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

ArMaP

CardiffGiant
for the most part i agree. i have used windows only since 98 and just recently switched to linux.

Windows 98 was one of the worst, surpassed only by WIndows ME. I jumped from 95 to 2000.
I have been using Windows since 3.1.

I have only had one anti-virus program running, the only problem I had was a virus I brought home from work on a floppy disk, but I removed without the need of an anti-virus. I haven't had a problem since I started using Windows 2000, somewhere around the year 2000.

What people do (specially online) is the biggest cause of problems.

i agree with the last part. she is having no 'major' problems. she just boots up slow and it lags. sometimes she will have several tabs open and it will freeze firefox for up to a couple minutes.
after i had her run cc cleaner it was a bit better.

i only read a few sites, this, the wiki, science daily and of course torrents. zero problems with mine.
she does a lot of coupon downloading which takes certain 'ad ons or applets' to run them as well as her surveys and crochet patterns. she just gets hit with little crap here and there.
i guess its worth it. she has actually made a lot of money by doing those surveys. we get wal mart gift cards. she bought all of our daughters christmas gifts this year by doing surveys. its cool actually

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CardiffGiant

Stop using CCleaner, it's crap.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join