It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take a look at all the records of climate change for 2013..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
thesiweather.com...

The SI Organization, Inc. (the SI) is a leading provider of full life cycle, mission-focused systems engineering and integration services to the U.S. Intelligence Community, Department of Defense and other agencies. Its scalable systems engineering platform for modeling, simulation and analysis helps customers baseline requirements, optimize resources and manage risk. The company has 40 years of experience successfully delivering complex, system-of-systems technology solutions.

To begin with, the number of tornadoes in the US this year is on pace to be the lowest total since 2000 and it may turn out to be the lowest total in several decades. The table below lists the number of tornadoes in the US for this year (through 10/17) and also for each year going back to 2000.

Source: NOAA, www.spc.noaa.gov...)

Year # of Tornadoes
2013 771
2012 1119
2011 1894
2010 1543
2009 1305
2008 1685
2007 1102
2006 1117
2005 1262
2004 1820
2003 1374
2002 938
2001 1219
2000 1072

Wildfires
Second, the number of wildfires across the US so far this year is on pace to be the lowest it has been in the past ten years and the acreage involved is at the second lowest level in that same time period (table below).
(Source: National Interagency Fire Center; www.nifc.gov...)
2013 Fires: 40,306 Acres: 4,152,390
2012 Fires: 67,774 Acres: 9,326,238
2011 Fires: 74,126 Acres: 8,711,367
2010 Fires: 62,471 Acres: 3,233,461
2009 Fires: 78,792 Acres: 5,921,786
2008 Fires: 80,094 Acres: 5,254,109
2007 Fires: 85,822 Acres: 9,321,326
2006 Fires: 96,358 Acres: 9,871,939
2005 Fires: 66,552 Acres: 8,686,753
2004 Fires: 63,608 Acres: 8,097,880
*2013 data through 10/16

Extreme Heat
In addition to wildfires, extreme heat is also way down across the US this year. In fact, the number of 100 degree days across the country during 2013 is not only down for this year, but it is perhaps going to turn out to be the lowest in about 100 years of records
(Source: NOAA, USHCN reporting stations; through August)

Hurricanes
Finally, as far as hurricanes are concerned and keeping in mind that the season isn't over yet, there have been only two hurricanes so far this year in the Atlantic Basin (Humberto and Ingrid) and they were both short-lived and weak category 1 storms. Also, the first forming hurricane this year occurred at the second latest date going back to the mid 1940’s when hurricane hunters began to fly. Overall, the tropical season in the Atlantic Basin has been generally characterized by short-lived and weak systems.

Finally, another interesting stat with respect to hurricanes has to do with the fact that we are currently in the longest period since the Civil War Era without a major hurricane strike in the US (i.e., category 3, 4 or 5). The last major hurricane to strike the US was Hurricane Wilma during late October of that record-breaking year of 2005 - let’s hope this historic stretch continues. By the way, just as a point of comparison, in 1954 the US was hit by 3 major hurricanes in less than 10 weeks

Now from Al Gore
www.bloomberg.com...

“The most powerful voice is that of Mother Nature, the increasing storms, floods, droughts and other extreme events,” Gore said. “We’re paying the cost of carbon every day and we should put a price on carbon in markets and put a price on denial in the political system.”

The former vice president plans a 24-hour broadcast starting Oct. 22 at 11 a.m. in Los Angeles to highlight the price humans are paying around the world because of carbon pollution. The show, entitled 24 Hours of Reality: The Cost of Carbon, will be streamed on his climaterealityproject.org website.

Sorry to our international members these numbers deal with the U.S.A. However, if Mr. Gore and his friends get their way everyone will be paying money one way or the other. The plan is to bring the cost of coal, gas and oil up to the price of what is today called renewables through taxes and making coal fired power plants to costly to operate much less build...

Anyway I thought the numbers presented were interesting especially since one (me) would have thought they were much worse..

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Obviously, you are a racist.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by 727Sky

Obviously, you are a racist.

Yep and probably got on Al's no Christmas list too.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
2013 has been a calm year so far.

No major storms or damage. Great news! Let's face it, if there had been a large enough natural catastrophe, we couldn't afford it. Maybe someone would blame it on HAARP, and create 32 new threads about how it's a false flag.

Thankfully that hasn't happened.

yet...

edit on 18-10-2013 by havok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm not clear on your point. Is is it supposed to be that global warming is not happening?

There have been more global all time high records set since 1960 (73) than all time low temperature records (41).
There have been 48 global all time high temperature records set in the past 10 years compared to 5 low temperature records.
en.wikipedia.org...

And let's not forget that the summer of 2012 was the hottest summer on record for the USA, by a long shot.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Maybe if you looked at record cold events ... but that wouldn't fit the narrative. However, there have been plenty of vicious cold events in 2013, especially if you look at the Southern hemisphere.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

That is truly shocking!
The media has played up every fire, every storm, every flood like it's the worst disaster in decades!
I certainly would have expected statistics to show a much worse scenario!
Thank you for 'un-manipulating' mind!
Nugget

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

edit on 10/18/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

havok
2013 has been a calm year so far.

No major storms or damage. Great news! Let's face it, if there had been a large enough natural catastrophe, we couldn't afford it. Maybe someone would blame it on HAARP, and create 32 new threads about how it's a false flag.

Thankfully that hasn't happened.

yet...

edit on 18-10-2013 by havok because: (no reason given)

And with that, we could also throw the conjecture of the monstrous impending Detroit single downbeat blasto to an otherwise milquetoast ending riff... Al. I hear Lewis Black's giant ticks are all on waivers since the middle of 2008. No natural disasters mean no unnatural disasters either. Did HAARP maybe get disconnected for non-payment?ROFL

With nothing happening by coincidence, I'll side with nothing happening at all being no indication an artificial shoe's going to dqop from either a Democratic or Republican foot. The 535 well shaven (well, most) have done their work for the year already.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Really?
The fact that there have been an increasing number of all time high temperature records set and a decreasing number of low temperatures doesn't at least indicate an overall warming?

We could cherry pick just as many data points to indicate that the opposite is in fact happening.
The data points are all time recorded high and low temperatures. Please feel free to provide more data points which show that there has not been an increasing number of all time highs and a decreasing number of all time lows in recent decades.

edit on 10/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why limit it to the last 10 years? Why not expand it out some more and include some decades like the '30s and further?

When dealing with climate, you need to include enough time to allow for the AMO and PDO both and they operate on the time frame of decades, so limiting your frame of reference for such things to only one decade doesn't give you a very good impression of what's going on. For example, the closest analogue decade to this one in terms of weather patterns (cold PDO and warm AMO), up to and including east coast hurricanes like Hurricane Sandy, is the decade of the '50s which does not fit inside your single decade frame of reference.

And cold has been much more prevalent than hot ones this past year. Heck, it was sleeting in mid October where I live today which I can only remember happening one other time in my life.

July in the USA Ends on a Frigid Note

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Phage
I'm not clear on your point. Is is it supposed to be that global warming is not happening?

There have been more global all time high records set since 1960 (73) than all time low temperature records (41).
There have been 48 global all time high temperature records set in the past 10 years compared to 5 low temperature records.
en.wikipedia.org...

And let's not forget that the summer of 2012 was the hottest summer on record for the USA, by a long shot.
www.nytimes.com...

With the last statements and citations: are you inferring the 'temperature needle' is more wildly swinging during the proposed periods? I ask because I haven't been studing range nearly as much as the isolated extremes. The instability of the temperature swings would be just as disconcerting to this meteoroligical tenderfoot as a sustained near-record trend.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Why limit it to the last 10 years? Why not expand it out some more and include some decades like the '30s and further?
Be my guest, but perhaps you missed this from my post:

And cold has been much more prevalent than hot ones this past year. Heck, it was sleeting in mid October where I live today which I can only remember happening one other time in my life.
I was talking about all time records; the highest high ever and the lowest low ever. Monthly records are not as meaningful as they are more dependent on weather than climate, and it certainly does not take record lows to produce sleet.

edit on 10/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

With the last statements and citations: are you inferring the 'temperature needle' is more wildly swinging during the proposed periods?

No. Not wildly swinging, moving toward the warmer rather than neutral or colder.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not in that short timespan. You could show the same fluctuations over short periods throughout the millennia, both ways if only we had recorded data from such distant epochs.
edit on 10/18/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Phage

en.wikipedia.org...

www.nytimes.com...

(Source: NOAA, USHCN reporting stations; through August)

The five summers with the highest number of 100 degree days across the US are as follows: 1936, 1934, 1954, 1980 and 1930. In addition to the vast reduction in 100 degree days across the US this year, the number of high temperature records (ie hi max and hi min records) is way down compared to a year ago with 22,965 records this year as compared with 56,885 at this same time last year.
(Source: NOAA, www.ncdc.noaa.gov...; through 10/17).

My point? I have no agenda Phage; although I do take notice when I see something that goes against the agenda of Climate change. I am of the opinion the models used have been wrong at best and useless as far as a predictor of the future... Like I said in another thread in the next 15 years we will know which way the climate is swinging in a much more definitive way.

The records are there for all to see and the links from where the records were compiled are listed. You might note there are no N.Y. Times link in the whole bunch; just government reporting stations which Si compiled for your viewing pleasure. If you think their info is wrong the web sight has a contact link. www.thesiorg.com...

thesiorg.com... twitter.com...#!/TheSIWeather www.facebook.com...

The SI Organization, Inc. (the SI) is a leading provider of full life cycle, mission-focused systems engineering and integration services to the U.S. Intelligence Community, Department of Defense and other agencies. Its scalable systems engineering platform for modeling, simulation and analysis helps customers baseline requirements, optimize resources and manage risk. The company has 40 years of experience successfully delivering complex, system-of-systems technology solutions.

edit on 18-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ,,,

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Not in that short timespan.

That is the timespan we are talking about, isn't it? You think that this kind of data does not indicate a warming trend over the past 60 years?

You could show the same fluctuations over short periods throughout the millennia, both ways if only we had recorded data from such distant epochs.
Perhaps. If we had the data.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
To believe that our ways of life for the last few centuries can actually impact this 4.5 billion year old planet is nothing short of egotism.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I doubt if the numbers of tornadoes has increased but the tornadoes are hitting cities that were not usually in their path more. I feel that we have somehow changed the geomagnetics of the earth. The tornadoes are stronger also now than they were before. Comparing numbers of tornadoes does nothing to address the issues I just stated.

There is change happening and I feel it is all from a change in geomagnetics. Mining too many mineral bodies is my guess of the cause.

We cannot keep pumping pollution into our atmosphere and oceans and lake. That is insanity. That is an attitude of someone only looking for their own personal gain while neglecting the future generations of the world. By polluting things we also jeopardize our food and the food of future generations. This is a sign of greed and gluttony on the part of the present societies.

I really don't think carbon emissions alone are that bad, but remember that it is unwise for the world to waste all of the oil and gas reserves within a hundred years or less. Look how much fuel we have used in the last hundred years, and our consumption is doubling. It is not going to replenish itself for millions of years. Don't count on technology being around forever either, there has been drops in intellect of societies throughout history. Sickness can kill off all technology within a few generations with people concentrating on survival as a pastime.

A tax does nothing to fix this mess.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What I'm saying is that it takes a lot longer to establish a trend. I don't know where you get 60 years but I remember in the '70s we thought we were heading toward another ice age.

<<   2  3 >>

join