It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jews are chosen, but for what

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I have noted this "chosen" theme and thread through out ATS and the community in general.
Sadly I see the whole concept of "the chosen people" has become confused and misunderstood by the majority,

So what does it mean the Jews are chosen by God.
Does it give them special privileges, blessings and favouritism.

Simply by reading the the Old Testament we would note a very clear theme.
Israel were a failure as a nation and people, they were divided, fought each other and had a list of corrupt and evil judges and kings that were a whos who of terrible leaders who would rival anyone today.
Nuts and bolts the Old Testament, the Jews own book, reflects poorly on Israel upon themselves.

So the Jews are chosen, are they really the chosen?
Deuteronomy 14:2,
"For you are a holy people to YHWH your God, and God has chosen you to be his treasured people from all the nations that are on the face of the earth."
The Torah also says,
"Now therefore, if you will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then you shall be a peculiar treasure unto me from all the peoples, for all the earth is mine" (Exodus 19:5).

So yes they are the chosen,
but, chosen for what

Isaiah gives us a clue
"I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles

In Exodus 19:6
You will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites."

Now lets not imagine the word Priest as in Catholic, lets imagine the word meaning, as it traditionally was meant to be understood, servant of others. Jesus was a Priest, who cared for the sick, sad lonely and He died for others.
Sadly most Priests in Israel as like today had become corrupt. Yes the Christian church like that of Israel is flawed, the leaders as well.
Human nature, sadly.

So I hope this explains simply what it means to be a chosen race. The Jews were chosen to bring a message to the Gentiles, to be a beacon of light on a hill to the world of how God blesses those who serve Him.
God asked the Jews to serve Him, behave and be blessed, they didnt. Yet the God of love still loves them.

Being the chosen people may not be the blessing some understand it to be. Its hard work

Israel was chosen to bring hope to the world

I stumbled on this blog, it was very good.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Oh, and I am not a Jew

edit on 18-10-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

borntowatch
I have noted this "chosen" theme and thread through out ATS and the community in general.
Sadly I see the whole concept of "the chosen people" has become confused and misunderstood by the majority,

So what does it mean the Jews are chosen by God.
Does it give them special privileges, blessings and favouritism.

edit on 18-10-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

They are the only people in ancient history to be a nation named after their God. Isra-El. Some say it means "struggled with God", but we can see then how they have struggled since their beginning.

A lot of people then say "no, the word Jew comes from Judea" and while that might be so, remember that Judah, the one whom the area is named for and a son of Israel, it means "praise the Lord" because his mother Leah said "I will now praise the Lord". They were chosen at the beginning because of the covenants made with God and the patriarchs who chose El Elyon over every other god around them.

It's like the patriarchs said "choose me" and so God did.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

The Jews are chosen, but for what
The Jews are chosen- last to join international rugby tournament ,
but for what-the grace of god go high

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There the keepers of the word of god

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Its not the Jews who are chosen, but the Israelites. The Jews (of the tribe of Judah) are only one of the twelve tribes that make up the nation of Israel. (Think of Israel in biblical terms, as a people, not as the present day nation in the ME)

The Israelites were promised many blessings for obedience through Abraham, and also destruction and defeat for disobedience. These ancient Israelites were defeated and taken into captivity, to later spread throughout the world establishing themselves in many new countries. (these are commonly and erronously known as the lost tribes)

God promised the Israelites to make them a great nation (USA) and a family of nations (British Commonwealth of countries) . Both of these countries have in turn established the greatest empires known to history, just as God promised.

Both of these empires are now in terminal decline for having turned away from Gods laws, and we're not far off having God banished from society altogether. God make some very specific promises about the outcome of this as well.

It is the western nations that are the Israelites. It is we who have been and will be the recipients of God promises, both for obedience and disobedience.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

To sum up your words briefly, they were chosen to be the starting-point of God's contact with the world.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
As triune said they were Israel not Judah(Jews) .The 12 tribes of Israel split around 931 BC with the death of Solomon... into the northern tribes (Israel)and the southern tribes(Judah.) The promise was through the heir of Abraham his son Issac then through his son Jacob ( who became Israel) .It's an allegory for ALL nations and peoples.

All of mankind is Israel (struggles with God).All of mankind is being chosen by God to be his people because all are "being" "saved"/born anew(no one is saved past tense)....anything contrary to that "good news" is the doctrines of men (religion).
edit on 19-10-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
As with all 'good' books, we learn something about ourselves. Here we have 2 'good' books rolled into one. The old gave us the commandments that have shaped and served the basic principles that society all over the world has benefited from. The new gave us a key word....love.
Anything else in both these books is history/fact/hearsay/opinion/chinese whispers from that time. Bit like a Dan Brown novel.

It's time to move on and read some other 'good' books because as a society the world over, the same people who put the Bible together all those millennia ago to control the masses for their own ends, keep reincarnating and are here again today, only now they have chosen to put aside the two fundamental teachings of living by the commandments through love. Why? Because those commandments and love don't make them wealthy any more.
Money changers in the temple ring any bells?

So sorry to be a party pooper with my views, but trying to define and explain 'the chosen ones' is out dated and out moded. The chosen ones quite simply means the human race, the 12 tribes, 12 strand DNA. The Jews/Israelites hoiked that phrase for their own benefit all those years ago and it carries no weight or substance in todays society.

It's time to put aside all the little nuances of The Book, the Dan Brown 'join the dots', and everyone the world over reclaim the commandments and love......then we shall see humanity being all it can be.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Jesus said something like, "if you believed the scripture, you would believe in me because they spoke of me".

Jesus is the ultimate "chosen one", as the Messiah, so fulfills the promises of the Old Testament of producing a spiritual blessing to the world.

Jesus is the High Priest over the entire world, and our King, if we choose to submit ourselves to his authority.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Chosen to deliver the messiah to the world
Yes it is all about Jesus, always been about Jesus from the start of creation

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
God knows what souls are chosen not man or religion. God chooses who are baptised in spirit not man, no matter what rituals humans create that have no real basis in real human seeking of symbiosis with god.

And for those who say otherwise explain what it means that the spirit is sevenfold and how you use the knowledge to achieve symbiosis?
edit on 19-10-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The key word in Exodus 19 is IF. IF you obey my commandments. Did the Jews obey God's commandments? No, they didn't. Jews refuse to believe on Jesus Christ, therefore the Jews HAVE NOT kept God's commandments. First let me define what a Jew is... a Jew is someone who is a descendant of the Southern Kingdom of Judah, primarily of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, with a few stragglers from Levi, Reuben, and others. The term Jew isn't even used in the Bible until the book of 2nd Kings, and the term Jew was used to describe someone from the Kingdom of Judah. The Northern Kingdom of Israel (the other 10 tribes) were/are NOT Jews, and those 10 tribes are literally lost with no trace of them as the world exists today. When you get to the New Testament the word Jew refers to the descendants of the Southern Kingdom, and these are the people that Jesus refers to, as well as Paul and others, when they speak of the Jews. The word Jew has NOTHING to do with the nation of Israel, as it exists today or as it existed in the Old Testament. Before Israel broke up into two kingdoms, they were called Israelites, Hebrews, the Children of Israel, etc... the word Jew didn't exist.

Having said all of that, now back to the "chosen" people, or what the Bible calls the "elect". Put plainly, God's chosen people are those who believe on Jesus Christ. That's it. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the New Covenant, and he was sent to unite the Jew and the Gentile, also referred to as the circumcised/uncircumcised. Jesus Christ is the new circumcision (figuratively speaking). Christ unites Jew and Gentile, and the Old Testament laws are void. Jews DO NOT believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, the Son of God, God in the Flesh. Please make the distinction between the term Jew as an ethnicity, and the term Jew as used to describe someone who practices the religion of Judaism. They are not one in the same, although most often the two go hand in hand. There are some Christians who are Jews by ethnicity, but they are not Jews by faith, because they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. The point is, there is this false belief out there that the Jews are God's chosen people. Most people who subscribe to this false belief don't even know the actual definition of the term Jew. Christians, or more specifically, those saved through faith in and on Jesus Christ by the grace of God ARE God's chosen people... the "elect". Paul defines this very clearly in most of his epistles, like Colossians , Ephesians, Hebrews, and Romans. The book of Hebrews was basically Paul's last ditch effort to make the Jews realize all of this. This false teaching of the Jews being God's chosen people is primarily what America's foreign policy has been based around, it's why the world hates us, and it's why millions of people have lost their lives.
edit on 19-10-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

God certainly does know who will choose him and who will not, but God DOES NOT pick and choose those people. "For God so loved THE WORLD that he gave his only begotten Son....." it doesn't say "for God so loved some people and not others". What you have described is Calvinism, and Calvinism is a wicked false doctrine that has lead many people to hell. I wonder what they said to John Calvin when they got there?

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

OptimusSubprime

God certainly does know who will choose him and who will not, but God DOES NOT pick and choose those people. "For God so loved THE WORLD that he gave his only begotten Son....." it doesn't say "for God so loved some people and not others". What you have described is Calvinism, and Calvinism is a wicked false doctrine that has lead many people to hell. I wonder what they said to John Calvin when they got there?

I am not and never will wear a religious human garment so I seek answers everywhere and that has worked very well for me. Just because it is written in a book does not make it true and from god. But the bible is an interesting book that have depths of understanding that most souls will never understand without guiding from god and therefore many fail to use the book as the map it is intended.

If you do your part god will do gods part to achieve symbiosis/understanding/connection. If you do not do your part the god will wait until you do your part. I love the patience god has but at the same time dislike what the fallen can do because of that patience.

Good luck on your journey soul brother.

The key to everything has always been the seven fold spirit in revelation. Understand the map and find your way home.
edit on 19-10-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

OptimusSubprime

Arguing Calvinism is probably on topic to some degree as Calvinism teaches, like the Jehovah witnesses do of special elect.
While I have no interest debating or arguing the merits of Calvinism and it does have more than a few supportive scriptures, its worth stating we are saved by Jesus actions and having faith in His works is enough. No matter how screwy our beliefs.
Christianity is a family, we should all get along
Go easy on them Calvinists, they are a little special

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

The key to everything has always been the seven fold spirit in revelation. Understand the map and find your way home.

or the key to everything is Jesus and all you need to do is believe, accept him and He will take you home

The whole point of the thread is to show when men tries to reach out to God they fail, even those with a special relationship. Those called to a higher office, for God the highest office is service.
God came to serve us and we cant help Him.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The jews were chosen to make Yahweh exalted among the nations.

A 1 worl gov where all will worrship Yahweh. The messiah will help when he builds the 3rd temple according to prophecy in the bible.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

borntowatch

OptimusSubprime

Arguing Calvinism is probably on topic to some degree as Calvinism teaches, like the Jehovah witnesses do of special elect.
While I have no interest debating or arguing the merits of Calvinism and it does have more than a few supportive scriptures, its worth stating we are saved by Jesus actions and having faith in His works is enough. No matter how screwy our beliefs.
Christianity is a family, we should all get along
Go easy on them Calvinists, they are a little special

The scriptures that Calvinists use to support the "limited atonement" doctrine are used in isolation and out of context. I will agree that Christians as a whole should want to get along, but there are many Christians out there that teach several false doctrines that are clearly contrary to the teachings of Christ, and the entire word of God. Sure, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is certainly the most important doctrine of them all, and as long as salvation by grace through faith is taught then the rest of it can be debated respectfully. There are times when a false teacher should be rebuked sharply, as found in Titus 1, and then there are other times when someone should be treated with humility in regards to their false beliefs, as found in Titus 3 and 2 Timothy. For example, the debate on when the rapture will occur (pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib) is one time when Christians can get along and debate the subject respectfully.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

borntowatch
I have noted this "chosen" theme and thread through out ATS and the community in general.Sadly I see the whole concept of "the chosen people" has become confused and misunderstood by the majority, So what does it mean the Jews are chosen by God.Does it give them special privileges, blessings and favouritism. Simply by reading the the Old Testament we would note a very clear theme. Israel were a failure as a nation and people, they were divided, fought each other and had a list of corrupt and evil judges and kings that were a whos who of terrible leaders who would rival anyone today.

The Apache in this country (AZ) did the same thing, Mescalero, Chiricahua, Pima, Yakai and Cochise renegades. They just couldnt get along and in so being warriors destroyed the Apache nation from the inside out. Look at the source, look at the Bible and texts within; look at its readership. If I had created as brilliant a tool to brainwash the masses and had a masterful distribution plan 'Barnes and Noble, Cosco, (the churches of many christian denominations that publish my words FOR FREE) I could also be THE CHOSEN ONE of a specie of TARANTULA SPIDER not yet known. As its author; a transient living in hotel/motel rooms, or in a trailer park, or a 50 Million dollar penthouse in Dubai can exact anything I wish. All that I would need is the ability to trasverse time (which I can) and read the human morality stock market rates for/from 2050BCE to 2000AD. Insert some written made up fairytale liturgy 'pages bound' form and possibly change the course of mans history (a boomerang of lies and deception in bookform) describing a somebody that was supposed to have walked this earth. Even Mohammed left a footprint, Jesus levitated accoss the middle east without leaving anything but conjecture as to not only his whereabouts (INDIA) but his ultimate intentions NONE but those attributed very questionable.
edit on 19-10-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

OptimusSubprime

The scriptures that Calvinists use to support the "limited atonement" doctrine are used in isolation and out of context. I will agree that Christians as a whole should want to get along, but there are many Christians out there that teach several false doctrines that are clearly contrary to the teachings of Christ, and the entire word of God. Sure, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is certainly the most important doctrine of them all, and as long as salvation by grace through faith is taught then the rest of it can be debated respectfully. There are times when a false teacher should be rebuked sharply, as found in Titus 1, and then there are other times when someone should be treated with humility in regards to their false beliefs, as found in Titus 3 and 2 Timothy. For example, the debate on when the rapture will occur (pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib) is one time when Christians can get along and debate the subject respectfully.

My fear is that those who have a concept of the true understandings of Christs teachings will become as arrogant and closed minded as the Calvinists.
God loves them and respects them, simply so should those opposed to the people of the TULIP.
Lets not become them is all I am saying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join