It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Obama took 1st Oath on Bible, 2nd Oath without

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I'm trying to understand this change in direction of America, its government, and people.

I remember seeing some news coverage mentioning it in 2009. Now that I'm ATS, I apologize if this has been discussed, but want to understand why.

Has any other president ever omitted the bible in any oath where all others took it? Or is Obama the 1st to do so?

And, why not be consistent? Is it a show of faith, a loss of faith, then for the 2nd term, saving face anew? Just wondering what was the deal doin it without- and again? America with or without religion/Christianity, in the same situation???

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
He just has to take the oath the bible is just for show. Funny how Obama tried to say it right but the person giving it said it wrong.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Thanks, its weird all the other presidents took it on the bible except he skipped one time.

Nothing's coincidence imo

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have never understood why, in a country that touts religious freedom, the whole swearing on a bible thing was ever put in place.

I mean, I understand the concept, but, if someone has no belief in the thing, for instance, what good does it do? It's just for show to the masses and means absolutely nothing to the one taking the oath.

It's a ridiculous sentiment, honestly. It's nothing more than a placation to the masses that should think for once.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

gardener
Has any other president ever omitted the bible in any oath where all others took it?

Yes, several have

Theodore Roosevelt did not use a Bible when taking the oath in 1901. Barack Obama, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Harry S. Truman, and Richard Nixon (also a Quaker) swore the oath on two Bibles. John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law, with the intention that he was swearing on the constitution.[8] Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in on a Roman Catholic missal on Air Force One. Washington kissed the Bible afterwards,[9] and subsequent presidents followed suit, up to and including Harry Truman,[10] but Dwight D. Eisenhower broke that tradition by saying his own prayer instead of kissing the Bible.[11]

en.wikipedia.org...

Or is Obama the 1st to do so?

No

Is it a show of faith, a loss of faith, then for the 2nd term, saving face anew?

No, no, amnd no.

Just wondering what was the deal doin it without-

Nothing at all, just Obama haters have to whine about anything Obama does or does not do.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I dont get the whole oath on a bible thing.

why not a Qur'an,

Why not a copy of Harry Potter even?

Just because you make a oath does not mean you will keep to it, just look at divorce rates.

I have always thought it would make much more sense to use a copy of the constitution.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

gardener

Thanks, its weird all the other presidents took it on the bible

No they did not!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
I dont get the whole oath on a bible thing.

why not a Qur'an,

Why not a copy of Harry Potter even?

Just because you make a oath does not mean you will keep to it, just look at divorce rates.

I have always thought it would make much more sense to use a copy of the constitution.

That last selection would burn his hand, old chum.
The oath was alleged to happen later and properly over
in the library or somewhere else anyway, didn't it?
I think there might have been a stabbed jackal involved.
BWAHAHAhahahahhaaaaaaaa.
I think a Magna Carta or a Talmud would be more in
vogue considering the group of which he's likely an
agent. No offense meant, a couple of my oldest friends
have BAR cards...

In any event for a constitutional law professor to blow
that oath is so simply rediculous I can't go there. It
should have been ingrained in his DNA by 21.
Diplomas or it didn't happen, Barry.

Best kept secret in the Conspiracy for Columbia IMHO:
The Tree of Liberty was the cherry chopped down by
young George. Everything else was on-script as well. Star BTW

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

...will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States

The last two presidents to take this oath have so flagrantly broken this vow
as to be guilty of treason. Were the founding fathers still alive, I believe
impeachment would be the last of either of their worries...

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well he used 2 bibles during the public messed up one but not one in private. However John Quincy Adams used a law book, Johnson used a Catholic missal. Teddy Roosevelt used nothing. Also although their have been many flubs during the oath this is the first time a President re took it just to be safe. Nobody else thought it mattered. In the end it make no difference one way or the other.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

From what I understand , the " One " who ushers in the Anti Christs Reign on Earth during the Time of Tribulation.............. ( Obama ) , is the Spawn of the Devil Himself . So of course he would naturally have an Aversion to being anywhere near the " Book Of The Lord " ......

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit
reply to post by gardener

From what I understand , the " One " who ushers in the Anti Christs Reign on Earth during the Time of Tribulation

The Time of Tribulation? could you expand on that? As far as I am concerned tribulation is an ongoing and never ending 'event' for many souls who may, or may not have ever done anything wrong. That is what is real, that is what life is and ill divided. It is not voodoo.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Jomina
I have never understood why, in a country that touts religious freedom, the whole swearing on a bible thing was ever put in place.

I mean, I understand the concept, but, if someone has no belief in the thing, for instance, what good does it do? It's just for show to the masses and means absolutely nothing to the one taking the oath.

It's a ridiculous sentiment, honestly. It's nothing more than a placation to the masses that should think for once.

Because it is the choice of the person swearing the oath.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
He's a lying POS and a Oath means nothing to him regardless of what he soils.....er touches when he does it.

top topics

join