Gun rights groups to demonstrate at Alamo Saturday 19 Oct.

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Saturday's rally, billed as "Come and Take It San Antonio!" will be on the state's 4.2-acre Alamo complex, which has been under the custodianship the Texas General Land Office since 2011. The phrase comes from a flag waved by colonists at Gonzales who refused to surrender a cannon to Mexican forces at the start of the Texas Revolution in 1835.

"This is our line in the sand!" declares an event flier, circulated on the Internet, that accuses Police Chief William McManus and the San Antonio Police Department of "harassing" gun owners after three men with guns at a local Starbucks were charged on Aug. 24 with disorderly conduct

Michelle Green, a member of Mothers Demand Action of Gun Sense in America, said her group will have an alternative event for families Saturday. A flier for that gathering, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Alamo Street Eat Bar, touts, "SA Moms are drawing a line in the sandbox."

"This is a way to force SAPD to respect our rights. You can gang up on three of us, but come and arrest 1,000 of us if you really think you're right," Grisham said.

search.yahoo.com...=A0oG7kn1b2FSolUAXQBXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'B0MWxjcmo5BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDI5Nl8x/SIG=13v2vpal0/EXP=1382146165/* *http%3a//www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Gun-rights-groups-to-demonstrate-at-Alamo-4898835.php

SAN ANTONIO -- An "open carry" demonstration outside of a local Starbucks was broken up by police after passersby complained about the three men and their rifles. According to Texas law, this type of conduct isn't illegal as long as the weapon is not loaded. Their weapons were not loaded... Which is one of the things that started the protest. The other incident is of the Active Army sergeant and his son walking down a road in the country (father carrying rifle) and he was arrested... Glen Beck interviewed the Vet and what happened in Temple Texas about six months ago.. The court case is this week.

San Antonio police Chief William McManus explained that the gun holder can still be charged with disorderly conduct if anyone, at any point, feels threatened.

I do believe if a right is not used then you end up losing it because of the ignorance of the law by the police and public. I also understand that there are those who will stand up for what they feel is an injustice; right or wrong.

I actually find it amusing in a sick sort of way that there will be a protest at the Alamo... The arrest of the Vet while with his son trying to get points for his Eagle scout badge is just one more indicator of ignorance and all I can say is when I was young I would have been stopped an arrested every week for the same thing for I went everywhere with a rifle or shotgun, horse, and dog...Just the way we went about our days and chores. Times have really changed even in the country.
Hopefully the protest at the Alamo will be much ado about rights and the law and when the day is over all go home feeling better for their efforts.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

727Sky

San Antonio police Chief William McManus explained that the gun holder can still be charged with disorderly conduct if anyone, at any point, feels threatened.

That right there is straight up madness. A recipe for widespread chaos and abuse.

ETA rants and raves:

I mean really WTH???

I cant get over this.

I live in a 99% white area and whenever I see someone who isnt I occasionally joke "uh-oh better call the cops" as to mock the paranoid and racist geriatrics who populate the region.

Now I'm wondering if I actually did would the cops arrest that person for making me feel threatened?

It's my fault I'm a paranoid freak, isnt it? But he gets charged with a crime?

This supports my assertion that fearing a person because a gun is present is no different than fearing a large black man behind you at the ATM. You're letting your ignorant imagination fill in all the holes to satisfy your paranoid delusion. And here the police are rewarding you for it?!!?!!?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG
edit on 18-10-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Did these people forget they lost at the Alamo?

"This is our line in the sand!" declares an event flier

And they will get as much done as the people at the Alamo did.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

727Sky

That right there is straight up madness. A recipe for widespread chaos and abuse.

ETA rants and raves:

I mean really WTH???

I cant get over this.

I live in a 99% white area and whenever I see someone who isnt I occasionally joke "uh-oh better call the cops" as to mock the paranoid and racist geriatrics who populate the region.

Now I'm wondering if I actually did would the cops arrest that person for making me feel threatened?

It's my fault I'm a paranoid freak, isnt it? But he gets charged with a crime?

This supports my assertion that fearing a person because a gun is present is no different than fearing a large black man behind you at the ATM. You're letting your ignorant imagination fill in all the holes to satisfy your paranoid delusion. And here the police are rewarding you for it?!!?!!?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG
edit on 18-10-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Glad you picked up on that... Seems there is always a catch 22 ...

Buster

The Texians systematically defeated the Mexican troops already stationed in Texas. The last group of Mexican soldiers in the region—commanded by Santa Anna's brother-in-law, General Martín Perfecto de Cos—surrendered on December 9 following the siege of Béxar.[9] By this point, the Texian Army was dominated by very recent arrivals to the region, primarily adventurers from the United States. Many Texas settlers, unprepared for a long campaign, had returned home.[13] Angered by what he perceived to be American interference in Mexican affairs, Santa Anna spearheaded a resolution classifying foreigners found fighting in Texas as pirates. The resolution effectively banned the taking of prisoners of war: in this period of time, captured pirates were executed immediately.[13][14] Santa Anna reiterated this message in a strongly worded letter to United States President Andrew Jackson. This letter was not widely distributed, and it is unlikely that most of the American recruits serving in the Texian Army were aware that there would be no prisoners of war

Yep they lost and from what I read many years ago they knew there would be no survivors when they did lose. Something's were worth dying for back then. 182 stood, fought, and died against 6019. Guess you have to be a Texan to appreciate their efforts. When I went to school the Alamo was still a big deal; taught in all the Texas history classes.. I do not know what they teach now; maybe the history of cinco de mayo for all I know.

Houston could not spare the number of men necessary to mount a successful defense.[27] Instead, he sent Colonel James Bowie with 30 men to remove the artillery from the Alamo and destroy the complex.[26][Note 4] Bowie was unable to transport the artillery since the Alamo garrison lacked the necessary draft animals. Neill soon persuaded Bowie that the location held strategic importance.[28] In a letter to Governor Henry Smith, Bowie argued that "the salvation of Texas depends in great measure on keeping Béxar out of the hands of the enemy. It serves as the frontier picquet guard, and if it were in the possession of Santa Anna, there is no stronghold from which to repel him in his march toward the Sabine."[29][Note 5] The letter to Smith ended, "Colonel Neill and myself have come to the solemn resolution that we will rather die in these ditches than give it up to the enemy."[29] Bowie also wrote to the provisional government, asking for "men, money, rifles, and cannon powder".[29] Few reinforcements were authorized; cavalry officer William B. Travis arrived in Béxar with 30 men on February 3. Five days later, a small group of volunteers arrived, including the famous frontiersman and former U.S. Congressman Davy Crockett of Tennessee.[30]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

eh i look at the Alamo in the same light i look at the spartan force at Thermopoli sure they lost but their nation's won,the Spartans and their allies won at marathon and pushed out xerxes.kind of how like after the Alamo defenders died we met them again in battle captured their leader and formed the republic of texas which in a few years led to Mexican American war which ended with the usa annexing 55% of mexico at the time (and if the votes in congress had been a bit different we would have annexed their entire country) so sure the Mexican army won at the battle of the Alamo but lost the eventual war

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

On the afternoon of April 21 the Texian army attacked Santa Anna's camp near Lynchburg Ferry. The Mexican army was taken by surprise, and the Battle of San Jacinto was essentially over after 18 minutes. During the fighting, many of the Texian soldiers repeatedly cried "Remember the Alamo!"[152] Santa Anna was captured the following day, and reportedly told Houston: "That man may consider himself born to no common destiny who has conquered the Napoleon of the West. And now it remains for him to be generous to the vanquished."[153] Houston replied, "You should have remembered that at the Alamo".[153] Santa Anna was forced to order his troops out of Texas, ending Mexican control of the province and giving some legitimacy to the new republic.[153]
origin of the remember the Alamo phrase or more plainly translated

santa anna asked for mercy/quarter he was given none because of his actions at the alamo and thus was the starting point for what would end up in large swaths of land being annexed and some more purchased later on from mexico

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

remember the alamo

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

727Sky

Saturday's rally, billed as "Come and Take It San Antonio!" will be on the state's 4.2-acre Alamo complex, which has been under the custodianship the Texas General Land Office since 2011. The phrase comes from a flag waved by colonists at Gonzales who refused to surrender a cannon to Mexican forces at the start of the Texas Revolution in 1835.

"This is our line in the sand!" declares an event flier, circulated on the Internet, that accuses Police Chief William McManus and the San Antonio Police Department of "harassing" gun owners after three men with guns at a local Starbucks were charged on Aug. 24 with disorderly conduct

Michelle Green, a member of Mothers Demand Action of Gun Sense in America, said her group will have an alternative event for families Saturday. A flier for that gathering, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Alamo Street Eat Bar, touts, "SA Moms are drawing a line in the sandbox."

"This is a way to force SAPD to respect our rights. You can gang up on three of us, but come and arrest 1,000 of us if you really think you're right," Grisham said.

search.yahoo.com...=A0oG7kn1b2FSolUAXQBXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'B0MWxjcmo5BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDI5Nl8x/SIG=13v2vpal0/EXP=1382146165/* *http%3a//www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Gun-rights-groups-to-demonstrate-at-Alamo-4898835.php

SAN ANTONIO -- An "open carry" demonstration outside of a local Starbucks was broken up by police after passersby complained about the three men and their rifles. According to Texas law, this type of conduct isn't illegal as long as the weapon is not loaded. Their weapons were not loaded... Which is one of the things that started the protest. The other incident is of the Active Army sergeant and his son walking down a road in the country (father carrying rifle) and he was arrested... Glen Beck interviewed the Vet and what happened in Temple Texas about six months ago.. The court case is this week.

I do believe if a right is not used then you end up losing it because of the ignorance of the law by the police and public. I also understand that there are those who will stand up for what they feel is an injustice; right or wrong.

I actually find it amusing in a sick sort of way that there will be a protest at the Alamo... The arrest of the Vet while with his son trying to get points for his Eagle scout badge is just one more indicator of ignorance and all I can say is when I was young I would have been stopped an arrested every week for the same thing for I went everywhere with a rifle or shotgun, horse, and dog...Just the way we went about our days and chores. Times have really changed even in the country.
Hopefully the protest at the Alamo will be much ado about rights and the law and when the day is over all go home feeling better for their efforts.

This is my hometown, and honestly I am surprised that the chief is supporting this!! He know's Texas is an open carry state, and especially if those boys had a CHL! It is concerning that we are becoming a police state, and we as Americans have to surrender all rights.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
www.mysanantonio.com...

SAN ANTONIO — Gun enthusiasts gathered at the Alamo Saturday to rally for the right to openly carry firearms, without state and local restrictions that are now in place.

Demonstrators, many carrying rifles, shotguns or 19th-century pistols, cheered speakers who urged them to hold tight to their firearms, as their protected Constitutional right.

Featured speaker Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, a candidate for lieutenant governor whose General Land Office oversees the Alamo, approved the use of the Alamo grounds for the event. Until 2011 the Alamo was overseen by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, which limited demonstrations at one of the state's most recognized landmarks.

Police Chief William McManus said this week that police would oversee the protest, which he expected to be peaceful.

Update 3:05 p.m.

Police have threatened to cite remaining protesters who are armed for a violation of city ordinance that bans weapons in city parks. Police did not enforce the ordinance during the demonstration, but told a small group of armed protesters who declined to leave they would be cited if they stayed.

“How do you even sleep at night,” one protester asked an officer during a five-minute standoff that gained the attention of a small crowd.

The protester labeled the police “tyrants with badges.”

usnews.nbcnews.com...

Hundreds of gun-rights advocates, many toting rifles and shotguns, gathered early Saturday at the Alamo in San Antonio to rally in support of gun ownership and the right to bear arms.

The rally, called "Come and Take It San Antonio," comes in response to what organizers called San Antonio police's "disregard for Texas law and The Constitution." Organizers said the police department has harassed gun owners and created a hostile environment for legal gun ownership.

Gun-rights proponents flooded a plaza near the historic site -- considered a shrine of Texas liberty since a small band of Texans fought and died in a battle against Mexican forces there in 1836. Many of those gathered carried banners, flags and sundry firearms.

Well it went down as promised.. What did the accomplish? IMO they got together and made it known they are not happy with the San Antonio police actions of late...

Did it matter?

Will things change?

I can bet they will if Jerry Patterson is elected to lieutenant governor.. Texas is weird in that the lieutenant governor has most of the power with the day to day ops of the state.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

buster2010

They did not lose. They had a purpose, to delay the Mexican Army and they achieved that goal. That is not losing, that is dying for a cause you believe in. It is the stuff of heroes and legends.

P

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

buster2010

the Alamo is what sparked the battle of San jacinto.

they didnt lose THAT battle. on the contrary they wiped the floor with the mexican army. 9 texans died.

upwards of 700 Mexicans died, and another 700 captured. they also captured the mexican president Santa Anna.

it was more of a massacre really...

"remembering the alamo" was what drove the soldiers to that victory, which in turn lead to Texas independence.

Inspiring a revolution to break free of tyranny? i sure hope your right.
edit on 0pm20130uSun, 20 Oct 2013 18:25:56 -0500kAmerica/ChicagoSun, 20 Oct 2013 18:25:56 -0500 by LadyLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
An of course the watchers were watching and recording... Wonder how many got on a no fly list or worse?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Something needs to happen in order for any change to be made. If not, at the end of the day, everyone will just go home and everyone will still get picked at one by one.

The father of the son that got arrested during the hike is having his court case soon. Yea, he got himself a court case, but at the moment of the incident, he was treated like dirt and couldn't do anything about it.

Sucks to be (insert the first three words that come to your mind)

top three words would probably be "him", "American" and there isn't a third word.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Well the Vet had his day in court....it ended in a mistrial.. So, they are going to try him again... If you can't win.... bankrupt him in legal fees.. I do not know why it was a mistrial; KTRH 740 was carrying the story with a news burb and gave no reason..

top topics

join