It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I survived the 7.2 in Philippines...so far, yellow stuff coming out of the earth!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

I was there in 92 when Mount Pinatubo erupted...
Lots of volcanic activity in your part of the world... you have good reason to worry...

All I can say is good luck and take care of each other. my prayers are with you.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

MysterX

one in our community committed suicide.Very Catholic country and some are thinking God is angry.

Bad news.

Isn't suicide against Catholic doctrine though? If a Catholic thinks God is causing Earthquakes because it's huffy, won't killing yourself make it even more murderous?

Killing yourself AFTER you survive an Earthquake that's killed many others?

Seems...ungrateful somehow.

Yes but logic and reason are running a bit thin these days....like really thin.

Night crew reporting for duty....wife wants me to stay up so she can sleep. We got home from Manila at midnight and the cab driver was in a near state of panic listening to the radio that was repeating a story spreading on Facebook and text messages about an 8.0 hitting sometime tonight.

I don't think someone started the the story maliciously...but you know how people are so eager to believe anything they hear and repeat it as gospel truth and before you know it has morphed into something completely ridiculous.
So Someone probably said i hope we don't get a 8.0 and that morphed into a scientist from the united states are warning of blah blah blah...sad really.
With all that said i have two bug out packs by the door LOL.

People are out on the streets, people are cracking up, lots of drinking and passing out going on as we where driving home.
I told the cab driver to stop listening to the radio and put on some nice music its going to be ok... as he was freaking out my wife and daughter.

www.gmanetwork.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Here is some info on sulphur ( also known as brimstone) ....it is linked to volcanic activity and can cause water to appear yellow. Are there any volcanos in the vicinity? It can also cause a yellow tint in soil and rock (as can fluorine)....it's how Yellowstone got it's name.
en.wikipedia.org...

Nevermind the question about volcanos....you have plenty! Stay safe, and thanks for keeping us updated!
edit on 10/20/2013 by StealthyKat because: sp

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks Stealthy...its 4 am here as i promised my wife i would stay up so i could quickly alert her for another shaker, she needs the sleep more than me and i can sleep during the day. To tired and boggled to reply to all...but i check back here from time to time on my night watch while i try to research the geology here specifically on Mactan where i live... and i do appreciate the support here.

The USGS of the Philippines...PHIVOLCS has been putting out frequent reassuring bulletins...but being a skeptic i always need to satisfy my doubt with research while trying to remain rational under pressure. Part of the reason i found ATS a long time ago now.

I really should go over to the uber earthquake thread and ask for help finding the geological info for the area...and what exactly is going on here. I don't even know what kind of fault or the physics of the original quake. I really desire to know but the energy is low with thinking about safety all the time...

the PHIVOLCS site often goes down during they day due to traffic these days i would assume
www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph...

edit on 20-10-2013 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Well my thoughts are with you guys....and yes I think that you could get much help at the main earthquake thread. Puterman and TrueAmerican are very smart and down to earth, and can ease your mind a bit. They really know a lot about this sort of thing. I hope things get back to normal for you soon....I know it must be awful, being stressed out like that! Praying for your safety and well being.
Kat
edit on 10/20/2013 by StealthyKat because: sp

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well as far as I can tell after reviewing the area geology and aftershock sequence, to me it appears that the 7.1 was a very typical mainshock/aftershock faulting based quake. Yes, it was big, but:

1) The biggest aftershock so far appears to be a 5.9, which leaves an acceptable 1.2 magnitude difference between it and the main 7.1 shock. This is good, in a sense, and indicates loosely that the 7.1 is not likely a foreshock to anything bigger. If we were seeing other 7 range quakes, or even 6.5+'s, I'd be a lot more concerned of an impending disaster.

2) The epicenter appears pretty far removed from the main subduction zone to the east, further suggesting that this may not be related. The depths of the quakes also suggest a non-relation to subductive activity, because that far away from the subduction zone, they would need to be real deep (500 km+) to likely associate the two. So that is also good news, imo.

Given those two things alone, if I were there, I would not be too worried about anything larger for the moment. If you take a look at this map, you can see that it would be very unlikely anyway to get hit by a massive quake. Known historical seismicity in the area doesn't support it:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Reviewing the USGS summary information here also supports what I am saying:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

The depth of the event indicates it ruptured a fault within the crust of the Sunda plate, rather than on the deeper subduction zone plate boundary interface. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Philippine Sea plate moves towards the west-northwest with respect to the Sunda plate at a rate of approximately 10 cm/yr, subducting beneath the Philippine Islands several hundred kilometers to the east of the October 15 earthquake at the Philippine Trench.

So yeah, it sucked, and sorry
, but I don't think you have much to worry about at this point, other than a few more aftershocks. They will diminish in magnitude and frequency with time.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well speak of the devil LOL....I was just saying you would be able to give him some info, and here you are! Thanks TA!

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

TrueAmerican
Well as far as I can tell after reviewing the area geology and aftershock sequence, to me it appears that the 7.1 was a very typical mainshock/aftershock faulting based quake. Yes, it was big, but:

1) The biggest aftershock so far appears to be a 5.9, which leaves an acceptable 1.2 magnitude difference between it and the main 7.1 shock. This is good, in a sense, and indicates loosely that the 7.1 is not likely a foreshock to anything bigger. If we were seeing other 7 range quakes, or even 6.5+'s, I'd be a lot more concerned of an impending disaster.

2) The epicenter appears pretty far removed from the main subduction zone to the east, further suggesting that this may not be related. The depths of the quakes also suggest a non-relation to subductive activity, because that far away from the subduction zone, they would need to be real deep (500 km+) to likely associate the two. So that is also good news, imo.

Given those two things alone, if I were there, I would not be too worried about anything larger for the moment. If you take a look at this map, you can see that it would be very unlikely anyway to get hit by a massive quake. Known historical seismicity in the area doesn't support it:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Reviewing the USGS summary information here also supports what I am saying:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

The depth of the event indicates it ruptured a fault within the crust of the Sunda plate, rather than on the deeper subduction zone plate boundary interface. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Philippine Sea plate moves towards the west-northwest with respect to the Sunda plate at a rate of approximately 10 cm/yr, subducting beneath the Philippine Islands several hundred kilometers to the east of the October 15 earthquake at the Philippine Trench.

So yeah, it sucked, and sorry
, but I don't think you have much to worry about at this point, other than a few more aftershocks. They will diminish in magnitude and frequency with time.

Sir, Salamat Kaayo Po
With your permission can i share this everywhere here to help ease the intense fears of a great number of thousands who need hope more than anything to cope with the negative rumors and dam after shocks?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

they're saying there's a new fault...I don't know if it was just formed or, more probable, they discovered an unknown existing fault.
OP, you're really surprised by the rioting and overt looting?
edit on 20-10-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The Great Day
Sir, Salamat Kaayo Po
With your permission can i share this everywhere here to help ease the intense fears of a great number of thousands who need hope more than anything to cope with the negative rumors and dam after shocks?

Of course you can!

It would be extremely unlikely given what I am seeing for you guys to get a bigger quake at this point, so tell them to stop worrying, and discard the rumors. Yeah, it could happen via delayed triggering (after all, they say that the Japan 9+ might have happened that way, triggered from the initial 7+ foreshock- which, by the way, also did have its own set of aftershocks- and then the 9+ hit). But everything I am seeing shows this to be a typical large tectonic quake, consistent in magnitude with other quakes in the area. In fact, it might even be characterized as one of the smaller ones of the 7+'s in the area. Triggering at this point would be very unlikely, because again, it is pretty far from the main subduction zone to the east.

As to the yellow water, a scientific answer has already been provided, with phosphate. Just deal with the aftershocks best you can, and give it some time. Life will return to normal within the next weeks and months. I promise. The earth could prove me wrong, but exactly what I am telling you is what I'd be feeling, if I was there and it was me. Best I can do to help.
edit on Sun Oct 20th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thank you...pm sent.

Thank you one and all...

shock now at 7:05 as i type
phill time if you want to check

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear this, Coming from Christchurch, New Zealand I know a bit about dealing with the quakes too, you'll be on the edge of your seat every aftershock, scary stuff, but definately a cool story to tell!

/ when i saw the images of the water I thought sulfur straight away too.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
My daughter-in-law is from Bohol. First thought, hearing about quake was to call Seattle and see if she knew anything about her family. She had; the house has cracks and her brother is sleeping outside. Her parents were elsewhere in the Philippines and safe.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
EDIT>>>> sorry just noticed a bad news artical about a 200 year cycle was from June...and do not want to pass that on at this time for the greater good.

edit on 20-10-2013 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The Great Day
Thank you...pm sent.

Thank you one and all...

I knew TA could help...... Good luck to you

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

StealthyKat

The Great Day
Thank you...pm sent.

Thank you one and all...

I knew TA could help...... Good luck to you

thank you for calling in the big guns guapa....

almost 9 am...still awake and my girls are sleeping in peace...im so happy about that, they really needed the sleep.
TrueAmericans Post gave me the extra strength i needed to pass on to my family...whether true or not( i totally believe it to be true) it has had a great positive effect in our home.

I have been sharing it everywhere here...its what the people need right now.
Not Doom links and info that may or may not have some truth in the next 100 years.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

You can't.

What you experienced isn't that extraordinary.

An 8 hit to the north of you in Luzon in 1990 (probably responsible for jarring dead Mt. Pinatubo to life) then a 9 hit Indonesia (some geologists say it was much stronger) to the south of you in 2004.

This is very much in the realm of possibility for the area.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Good luck.

Are you hitting on stealthy? Can't be all that shook up; unless the little lady of the house finds out

edit on 20-10-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I'm not sure if that region is really hazardous. They have churches there that date back in the 1500's and it is only now that they collapsed due to the strong EQ. So we can say that that region has been quiet for 500 years and it is only now that they experienced a destructive EQ.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

One really nice thing about ATS is that there are LOTS of people all over the world who can help you look up information and who have the capability of understanding and figuring out geology for/with you so you can keep your family safe. Prayers for you and your family.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

i think i might know you from somewhere....

Personally i am doing just ok...just trying to gather positive ammo to counter act lethal rumors.

PS while i dig your sense of humor the accounts of the past is a long ways from current location and does not really need to be dredged up at the present for the sake of the greater good....please.

You get what i am saying?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join