It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about faith

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I've been pondering mortality lately.

Faith, god/God/gods/Gods.

It has created a question.

Now to preface the question, I must state that this isn't to endorse a specific secular religion or belief.

Imagine 3,000 years ago, there were humans scattered widely throughout the planet and none were in any real contact with each other. Yet they all had religions. Beliefs. Rituals. Customs.

Were there any atheist pre-historic cultures?

I don't think there were. And if there weren't, doesn't that give some indication of a higher being? A god? A pantheon of gods? A God?

Thank you for your consideration.

beez

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Either someone came down and scared the living bejesus out of everyone or we were never ever, ever able to take responsibility for ourselves.

As it stands, I'd say both are equally possible.

On a more serious note, I always found it interesting that one way or another, all existing religions are based on Astrology but more specifically the precision of the equinox. Another cross culture understanding, "as above, so below".

Something about those two concepts also resonates with me. I wonder why?
edit on 18-10-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I think it's natural. Humans as creatures very much like to assume a being or agent is behind things they don't understand, and I think that makes sense as far as evolution goes.

I could write a really long answer the more I think but I suppose the basic part of it for me is ... what is the risk to believing random things?

An ancient human walking down a quiet road hears a rustle in the bushes. The person runs and hides in a tree believing it to be a predator or a demon or something else horrible. The result of this mistake is fairly harmless.

An ancient human walking down the same quiet road hearing the same rustle decides ... well it's normally wind, and I have no idea where wind comes from, but you know its there all the time. I'm pretty sure wind isn't Odin breathing or anything ... but Jim says so. So I guess I'll look at the bush and find out if-

The result of a mistake from the first human is feeling like a bit of a tool biscuit. The second human makes a mistake they are lunch.

I think that is the fundamental seed of many beliefs and has influenced how we've evolved as a culture over the centuries. Later it becomes self reinforcing when our tribal friends are so certain that there is a God they might set you on fire for implying there isn't.

Over thousands of years there seems to have been very little harm in believing something and serious consequences for not.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

So atheism is a recent construct then?

I just find it interesting that separate cultures can discover religion.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

beezzer
Thanks for the replies.

So atheism is a recent construct then?

I just find it interesting that separate cultures can discover religion.

That's assuming separate cultures didn't have the same experience. Seeing how pyramids can be found from Egypt to Peru, from China to North America. There is no such thing as coincidence.

You want to find out what our ancients knew, find out the meaning of pyramids throughout the world and under our oceans.

You also can't say for sure there were no atheists. Meaning some clusters probably shared their beliefs with locals through tradition, song, and word of mouth. While others may ne'er have had that experience. Of course every population center do have active faiths no matter where they are at. Could these traditions all have been handed down with enough importance to keep it going or are people that scared of the unknown.

I think honestly, that's the design. Once you think you figured it out, the cosmos conspires to toss you a curve ball. Cant have the game too simple after all.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Perhaps you're right.

I just found some comfort with the idea that maybe, just maybe, a (G)od(s) does exist. If a culture in the orient and a culture in the middle east and a culture in the northern tier of Europe (without having come in contact with each other) can discover religion, then maybe there is something to it.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

beezzer

Perhaps you're right.

I just found some comfort with the idea that maybe, just maybe, a (G)od(s) does exist. If a culture in the orient and a culture in the middle east and a culture in the northern tier of Europe (without having come in contact with each other) can discover religion, then maybe there is something to it.

And I think that is a genuinely safe assumption. I only need to search within to recognize a spark internal that has yet to be explained by science.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Well said. Perhaps I should be looking inward instead of outward myself.

(thumbs up emoticon >here

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Thinking of ending up in someone's pot as rabbit stew are we?

Just imagine there is a God. He floats around trying to give us messages. But he treats each culture as a unique group needing unique guidance. The old testament is common to three religions which logically indicates all three have the same God.

It is man that stuffs up the message! It is Man that writes the books.

All major religions have the same message, there is ONE GOD, be nice to each other! It is a simple message given by all the prophets including Buddha, Jesus and anyone else you choose to name.

On a similar plane of thought, Greek, Romans have the same Gods, not surprising! But comparing them to the Nordic Gods and they are all the same. They should not be but they are.

One thing scholars do not allow for is for Gods to evolve as we evolve and learn. Why must God / the gods be static creations. Can they not evolve over time, perhaps to become one?

I know life after death exists. It is a comfort for me to know this rather than have it as a belief. Check my only thread in the paranormal for the reasons.

Another element to ponder is the nature of prayers. Some believe that prayers are a way of sending 'energy' to God. The question is does this change the nature of God over time. Is God the manifestation of the combined human races thoughts. Can we influence God as he tries to influence us.

Church dogma has put us on a single path. I believe that path prevents us from understanding the nature of God.

P

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Nicely put.

I think (G)gods message is perfect.

It's just our interpretation that sucks.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So in other words, the less educated a culture is, the more likely it is recognize a higher power. See what I'm saying?
edit on 18-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I just found some comfort with the idea that maybe, just maybe, a (G)od(s) does exist.

The point was always to be happy and safe, not right.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Were there any atheist pre-historic cultures

Of course there were Atheists in ancient times. There is opposite to everything, Religion is a man made construct, Atheism was the default.

One is(or was) an Atheist before someone told him about religion and how he can be "happy" in ignorance.

Atheist now a days are born into religion and finding their way back to default.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer

So in other words, the less educated a culture is, the more likely it is recognize a higher power. See what I'm saying?
edit on 18-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Maybe the more educated a culture is, the less they are able to acknowledge the presence of god.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Is everyone born an atheist?

Or is everyone born with the potential for faith?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer

I just found some comfort with the idea that maybe, just maybe, a (G)od(s) does exist.

The point was always to be happy and safe, not right.

Why can't we be both?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The truth is not inherently happy or safe. To be right does not guarantee either.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Maybe the more educated a culture is, the less they are able to acknowledge the presence of god.

And why is that?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I don't think there were. And if there weren't, doesn't that give some indication of a higher being? A god? A pantheon of gods? A God?

"If you come from nowhere and you are going nowhere,then love shouldn't exist,or love does not exists."

"But as long as we come from love,as creation,then God it is the answer to all questions,because He is Love."

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Everyone has the "faith" mind set... but how far can you push it?

Saying, i have a faith that i can make this jump across the crevice... compared to...

to a point where someone believes a magical supreme being that is responsible for every single aspect of the world is watching your every move and have devoting your life ans salary to it? i don't know... that is really pushing it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join