It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm not sure I want to live forever.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The idea that you will live for all eternity in a blissful world is something various religions offer as a main reason to join a religion.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to disappear in the near future.

But to exist for all eternity? That is an amazingly long time, clearly beyond my comprehension.

I'm not sure I want to exist that long.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

droid56
The idea that you will live for all eternity in a blissful world is something various religions offer as a main reason to join a religion.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to disappear in the near future.

But to exist for all eternity? That is an amazingly long time, clearly beyond my comprehension.

Well according to some religions your soul will exist forever, regardless of what you do. The only difference is if you prefer to be in Heaven or in Hell.

Those are your only two options. I can't recall one religion that gives you the option of just blinking out of existence.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Hmmm, I don't think I have ever had to talk down someone who doesn't want to be eternal.

If it turns out to be the case, I doubt it will be boring to be non-corporeal. If it is reincarnation, you won't remember so, also not boring.

In the end, we don't really know anything so there isn't much point worrying about it.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I feel the same way. I want it to end someday. Not anytime soon, but someday. A perfect existence would get awfully boring. It's the ups and downs that make life interesting. Sometimes you need change.

Even in reincarnation I think a soul would get tired. I often think that if reincarnation, truly exists then my poor soul has been through one life too many. There is nothing new in the universe to see and it is bored.

Immortality has no appeal to me. I want to accomplish what I need to in this life and then I am done.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56
Living forever, the best marketing tool ever! Religion tries to keep us under control. Then offers The Believers this fantastic reward. Maybe.

edit on 2-9-2010 by SPYvsSPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2010 by SPYvsSPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Eternity is timeless, where all sensations are combined with everything that is awareness, and the "self" surrenders itself ( which is a sort of radical suicidal thought) but that surrender has a purpose that inevitably leads to a face-to-face confrontation with the Architect at the Source, and then you get that choice, the door on the left, or the door on the right. It's your choice to make.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by droid56

Hmmm, I don't think I have ever had to talk down someone who doesn't want to be eternal.

In the end, we don't really know anything so there isn't much point worrying about it.

Ha Ha, I'm with the OP on this one. Eternity? Good grief I can barely stand it now.

Anyway doubtful this is going to be an issue anyway. Even if the "soul" or energy that makes up our individuality exists after death it's still a part of the physical universe and as such is subject to entropy.

Maybe we don't burn out, we just fade away.

Wow, that's depressing no matter how we look at it.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

When would you like to die? Since you don't want to keep living. Have you set a date you want to cease to exist on?

Who knows, you may change your mind one day too.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It is what it is. And will be what it will be. Until such time, you have this reality and no you will not exist forever in it. You will perish and die, as terrible as that might sound. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Just remember what it was like if you lost a grandparent, or a friend, perhaps a pet dog or cat. All those lonely sad and sucky feelings. Then it's your turn. Regardless of what religions promise, we all do sincerely die.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
an afterlife does sound awful.

if i am to exist forever, then i want my memories. i want to be able to continue to learn. and i want to meet new people. in any kind of existence.

otherwise whats the point.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Just give yourself something to live for like watching over people and fairy sh** like that

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
me i cannot wait for it to be over xxxx this eternaty stuff roll on the end and on to the next adventure as this one is boring the beejesus out of me .

get up go to bed night follows day same old same old

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

geobro
me i cannot wait for it to be over xxxx this eternaty stuff roll on the end and on to the next adventure as this one is boring the beejesus out of me .

get up go to bed night follows day same old same old

It's like grinding in World of Warcraft but that's your whole life... I get it.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
My heavens, why is this a thread here?

Is this for real? The drivel that slathers off your mind becomes a topic for others to discuss?

Try to have something more for people to consider.

No real topic, no real insight... please apply yourself and have MORE to offer, otherwise you denigrate the community. Period. Get it?

This website and its forums need and demand more than this type of stuff.

I am sorry if this seems harsh, but COME ON! Where are you going with this?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

never played world of war craft find all that a bit boring i am afraid more of a bookworm at heart a bored one at that

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
A fish doesn't know it's in water. When you "die" and transcend time, "eternity" becomes a meaningless concept. Just as "I", the ego, becomes a plainly apparent delusion.

"You" will be just fine in eternity.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
How did you exist before your human form?

Were you alive in your parents at some point?

Then, Alive further back in their parents??

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The reason that eternity seems boring is because you are thinking about it with a mind that gets bored. In eternity, your mind isn't capable of boredom, because it is no longer a human mind.

The reason that all bliss all the time seems undesirable is because the human self is designed to never be satisfied. It seeks out conflict to overcome. This has helped us evolve. In eternity, you will have no such hungering-unless you want to.
edit on 18-10-2013 by Snsoc because: clarity

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
We are all doomed/trapped to repeat this crap forever. Unless we reach enlightenment. Well thats what buddists/hindus think.
Great thread. Ignore the pointless Ats dictators,.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

You don't have to think of it like living forever. Just do whatever comes next.

Besides how do you know what the ride is like, you've never been on it. It might be wonderful.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join