It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sawasdee from Thailand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Sawasdee

Thailand, the Land of the Free, or Mueang Thai, Nation of Free People as the Thai like to express their pride for never having been colonized. Or you might be familiar with Thailand, the Land of Smiles.

I arrived to Thailand a couple of weeks ago and have been spending some time in Bangkok due to some business obligations. I like to travel the river by means of public transport and never get tired of watching the lively activities of the colorful boats and local accommodations along the banks.

Later today I might embark on a trip to the north east to visit a festival and then hopefully further down the Mekong River to visit ancient cave paintings in a national park before having to be back in Bangkok for more duties.

It is the end of the rainy season. A beautiful time you might know if you ever have spent some time in a tropical monsoon climate. It has been raining for the last two days and I find myself spending a lot of time under cover in guesthouse lobbies, on the internet and being able to contribute a bit to ATS.

Maybe some of you share my love for this part of the world, maybe some would like to know more and maybe for others it brings back memories.

edit on 17-10-2013 by SovannaMaccha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SovannaMaccha

hi! Welcome to Ats! maybe i am your nearest member here..i am from indonesia, glad to see friend from Asia Tenggara..SE Asia..

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS,SovannaMaccha,I hope you will enjoy your staying here in this beautiful place, certainly Thailand it's a country worth visiting,by the beauty of the land and of the people,as a nation.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

ahhh, indonesia is a wonderful place !

asia tenggara is a wonderful place..... asia is a wonderful place..... the world is a wonderful place !

thank you for your welcome

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

thank you for your welcome to the beautiful side of ats.

of course thailand has also many sides and i am eager to view all things until i see the beauty.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

In Thailand we say Sawasdee! Namaste is from India, anyway welcome to Thailand, have a lovely time, it really is amazing and will leave you with memories forever

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Hi SovannaMaccha my advice is to get out of Bangkok and move north at least as far as Chiang Rai, I used to live in Chiang Kong near the Laos/Myanmar border. Absolutely beautiful place and the people are the best I've met in S/.E.Asia.
If you're ever in Cambodia P.M. me
edit on 17-10-2013 by abdel because: (no sensible reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hongkongphooey

why thank you ! i love ats !

this helps heaps, someone here tried to explain this to me, but i couldn't understand it. now i know!

and thanks for your well-wishes

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
First time I was there was in 73 and stayed until 76.. I always promised myself one day I would return. Well I did and now live on a small farm west of Udon several months a year. Closing out everything stateside and will make Thailand my permanent home in the very near future.

Thailand has changed in the last 40+ as has all the world but of all the places in the world I could retire to, I chose Thailand and learned the language.. I respect and like the people and their beliefs and for me the Thai people have always been honest and basically good to and for me.

Bangkok has everything to include horrendous traffic but the good news is depending on where you stay everything is within easy walking distance or take the Sky Train. Hua Hin for beauty, ocean, and Golf, Phueket where many movies are filmed due to it's natural beauty and many other places where there is always something to see or do.

You are lucky my friend enjoy.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by abdel

thanks for your good advice!

i'm spending the afternoon at Hua Lamphong, the train station of Bangkok trying to get a sleeper up to Nong Khai. everything is booked out for now.

otherwise i'm willing to travel 3rd class, but i must reach Nong Khai for tomorrows festival !!

then i will cross over to Laos.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

SovannaMaccha
reply to post by abdel

thanks for your good advice!

i'm spending the afternoon at Hua Lamphong, the train station of Bangkok trying to get a sleeper up to Nong Khai. everything is booked out for now.

otherwise i'm willing to travel 3rd class, but i must reach Nong Khai for tomorrows festival !!

then i will cross over to Laos.

Take a flight for less than 2000 Baht (60$) to Udon then it is a 45 minute drive (taxi) to Nong Khai.. The train will take forever !

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Bangkok is chaotic but yet so serene
For me, there is no better city in the world and the traffic has improved over the last 28 years with the new tollways through the city, making access easier (unless your in the rush hours).

Bangkok has a bit of everything for everyone! I have travelled the world, but theres no place like Home
Even though I originally came from London (UK) Thailand has been home for 28 years. I do business in Hong Kong & Manila, yet I always get excited when I am on my way back to Thailand. Pom Ruck Thai

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

....... and now live on a small farm west of Udon several months a year.

are you in Udon now and will you attend Bang Fai Phaya Nark ?

i can't wait !!

i also love everything here. i have been here in '92 and it took my a while to find my old sneaking about side roads and short cuts through temples again. apparently there were huge changes about 10 years ago. what was a quiet area is now full with posh little restaurants. but its still ok.

and so are you my friend

thank you

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

SovannaMaccha
reply to post by 727Sky

....... and now live on a small farm west of Udon several months a year.

are you in Udon now and will you attend Bang Fai Phaya Nark ?

i can't wait !!

i also love everything here. i have been here in '92 and it took my a while to find my old sneaking about side roads and short cuts through temples again. apparently there were huge changes about 10 years ago. what was a quiet area is now full with posh little restaurants. but its still ok.

and so are you my friend

thank you

No we are back in the states now. We returned last month to do stateside house stuff and taxes.. We are counting the days until we can return which will be after Christmas and stateside family duties... I play allot of Golf in Thailand which has some absolutely beautiful courses; some goat tracks too but the caddies are always fun.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Take a flight.....
reply to post by 727Sky

all booked out.

even my accommodation is over in Vientiane.

i read about this event too late for a convenient trip.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

welcome!
i love people there.
been there last month (first time)
anyway enjoy your time here and there.

peace.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

but the caddies are always fun.

I don't play golf but I have heard the stories, if only people knew just how much fun LOL

edit on 18/10/13 by Hongkongphooey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
thank you all for your welcomes

ps. i made it. could get a cancelled aircon lower bunk sleeper as desired and found a cancelled room in town also. all is well for tonight's festival.

new topics

top topics

join