It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guys! ISON visible to the naked eye from hawaii! - For the First Time!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thanks to Cheesy and Dabu "eyes to the skies" 7. I'm surprised it is that bright already. Legend has it that when it appears in the sky there will be a lot of changes.
edit on 18-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

wildespace
Sorry to rain on your parade Cheesy, but the author of the video is wrong. It's the star 37 Leo. ISON was in a slightly different position, and too faint to be seen with the naked eye.

Here's a screenshot from Stellarium on Oct 16th:

sory if i ask this sir, is stelarium a softwere?
if we look here in REAL image of Ison its so bright a half bright as mars itself..so you know what i mean..

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

darkbake
reply to post by cheesy

Thanks to Cheesy and Dabu "eyes to the skies" 7. I'm surprised it is that bright already. Legend has it that when it appears in the sky there will be a lot of changes.

you're welcome sir..
what is "dabu" Mr Friend?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
can you guys link to me some good star map type stuff?
like ones that are updated with current things like this. (i mean not just an overlay image of the standard star map we are to expect day after day)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

cheesy
if we look here in REAL image of Ison its so bright a half bright as mars itself..so you know what i mean..

For the sake of completeness, I've combined the Stellarium view, with the real photo of comet ISON in your post so it can be seen in place.
I've also labelled the star 37 Leo that the youtube guy saw.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

darkbake
reply to post by cheesy

What legend?

Wormwood?
Planet X?
Blue Katchina?
Easter Bunny?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Nice one cheesy, my friend is actually in hawaii right now!!!

Totally going to text him now to say to keep an eye open for it, and maybe even a camera lens

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

wildespace

Arken
So, Comet Ison is GREEN.... "WORMWOOD".......

Many comets are green. Green comes from diatomic Carbon (C2) or cyanogen radical (CN). Green comets are beautiful, but harmless to us.

en.wikipedia.org...
news.nationalgeographic.co.uk...
science1.nasa.gov...

Beautiful? Yes.
Harmless? Not so sure...

It depend from how many "goodfellas" follow its path....

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This thread has somehow managed to garner 28 flags despite being completely incorrect. It seems there really is no end to people's stupidity where comets are concerned.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Biigs
Nice one cheesy, my friend is actually in hawaii right now!!!
Totally going to text him now to say to keep an eye open for it

Comet ISON is a planetary event. Viewing is not limited to one little island on planet Earth.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Eyes on ISON ?
Sion ? I the Son?
The " Eye Sun" ?

Iason the son of Iah?

Ice On ? Who is this ICEMAN?
Ummm yeah, comet cometh.

edit on 18-10-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Muzzle flash

Fluzzle mash

Mash

Potato

Irish

Green

ISON is green apparently.

What's your role in all this "muzzleflash"?

Convenient name....

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

cheesy
Wait until we see the tail!

Why , nothing wrong with the tail that anyone should cry about.

Stellarium is one of, if not the top, free sky mapping\astronomy applications out there.

Stellarium

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
That. Is. Not. Ison.
Right constellation, wrong place in it, and wrong magnitude. You cannot see Ison with the naked eye yet. if it were visible from Hawaii this early, I'd be able to have a glimpse of it myself here in FL because where I live in the Tampa area is a few hundred miles north of Hawaii's latitude position, meaning the views are essentially identical from both our latitudes.

You fell for either a hoaxer, or an idiot, Cheesy.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Is it true that this is going to be the brightest thing in the night sky when it's at it's closest point?
I remember reading that somewhere last year when this comet was first found, but somehow just can't imagine it being brighter than the moon. Unless it's going to appear larger than the moon in the sky, which is unlikely.

I'm sure it's going to be a stunning sight anyway. I miss looking up in the night sky and seeing Hale-Bopp, and I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago!!! Was that really the last comet visible from Earth?

edit on 18-10-2013 by GalaxyEyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

muzzleflash
Eyes on ISON ?
Sion ? I the Son?
The " Eye Sun" ?

Iason the son of Iah?

Ice On ? Who is this ICEMAN?

edit on 18-10-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

Kimi Raikkonen???

Lol

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Magnitude of 9 is too faint for the naked eye, the human eye can see up to 4 or 5 afair.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes comet ISON definitely cannot be seen with the naked eye. First off the comet is currently fainter than Neptune and is in the sky during daylight.(mostly)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

cheesy
sory if i ask this sir, is stelarium a softwere?

Umm, you are looking at a real picture, taken with an 11" telescope and 80x15s exposures stacked.
See Spaceweather-website and there it is on the front page.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I have a very good eye for star patterns. Looking at the video with those three bright objects (one of them being claimed to be ISON), and then looking at Stellarium, I can tell that the three objects are Regulus, Mars, and 37 Leo.

When Ison is visible to the naked eye, we will hear about it from all credible astronomy sites, blogs, groups, etc. Not just from some Youtube video. And it would be visible across most of the world, not just Hawai.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join