It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Clancy's The Division

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Apparently, this game trailer came out back in June of this year but I just now noticed it. Didn't see a thread on the subject using the search and I have a feeling that this game (or the trailer at least) will be of a lot of interest to ATS gamers.

Personally, sometimes I get really frustrated with Ubisoft for taking real life matters and shoving it right up my nose. In fact, I pretty much wanted to bash my head on my desk back in 2011 and 2012 when I was playing the various Assassin's Creed installments because, in some ways, they mirrored reality a little too much. I was really wanting games to escape what I was seeing all the time and this great game maker just had to shove it right back in front of me in my "escape" times. Still enjoyed them and appreciated the reality touches in the end because it basically opens up awareness of things that frequently go unconsidered.

"The Division" is absolutely that. It's my worst nightmare in our highly complex society. As an accountant, there are some very, very real touches in the game trailer such as the "Just in Time" (called JIT accounting) that do, in fact, leave society terribly vulnerable. Likewise, Operation Darkwinter was, in fact, a real simulation that took place in 2001. The wiki, however, claims that the simulation was programmed to spiral out of control. I have significant doubts about it being "programmed" that way. I believe it could and would, naturally, should such an extreme event occur. We live in a Just In Time world in more ways that you can possibly imagine.

Anyways, enjoy (or not, lol):

Official site: tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com...

And for those who really don't want to log into youtube: vimeo.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Like you were saying, the part that's truly terrifying is how easily and quickly this video game can become our reality. Everything we just saw in that video, happening in live right outside our front doors. Being stuck inside a hospital as one of the infected is probably the safest place you could be. For the rest of us...

It's Resident Evil: Reality Check.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I know! lol When I first watched the trailer, I was like "AHHHHHHHHHH Curse you yet again, Ubisoft!!". I literally said "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!". Total reality check. The thing is, as much as I hate the fact that Ubisoft is making this, I cannot help but feel that perhaps it's a good thing that people comprehend just how fragile things really are. The more complex and efficient our system gets, the more points at which our system can fail. Even if it is just a bunch of video gamers that are aware of the risks our society has, it's a start.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I blame the Ubisoft DRM (Digital Rights Management) for the economic collapse!!

Looks great with the Splinter cell conviction engine.

I need a First person option and Prone (lay down) to have fun in Multiplayer. No prone = no fun!!

I see Bio Terror is the catalyst in this one...

COD Ghosts looks like it was Meteor/Asteroid/ Comet related. I might be wrong tho.

In the Ghost trailer you see debris raining down.

edit on 18-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: addition and arrangement

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

Haven't played Ghosts but heard it was "interesting" and saw the trailer. Sounds like they did the source of the issue kind of like how it was done in Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", where you just don't know what happened to it all. I actually think that having that "unspecified" disaster is a rather realistic idea as, unless something got communicated out before the major problem hit, odds are we wouldn't know what hit us.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

They have a vid of actual gameplay, story wise seems to be not that much different then other like genre games, but with a more real life situation take on it. So I suppose we will be seeing no zombies in this apocalypse.

The games seems set in the aftermath of a more technological future, in the vid they had some nifty pretty hy-tech gadgets the squad used, and it seems like its going to be a heavily influenced co-op game. From the little I seen of the game, it seems like they have there premise, story, and gameplay set, and it's all looking pretty good.

join