Confirmed Cholera in South Carolina: Shellfish

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

At least three people in South Carolina have been confirmed positive for the bacterium, Vibrio cholerae, the causative agent of the gastrointestinal disease, cholera, according to South Carolina health officials Wednesday.

It is being reported that the three individuals contracted the infection from eating raw shellfish.

Source

Heads up South Carolina. Shellfish is making me nervous already re: Fukushima, for everyone else I would be extra careful as this could possibly spread over time as more news comes out on the subject. This is a really odd development to me and has my seriously OCD fear of food contamination on high alert.

Something's fishy. Get it. Fishy.

Make sure especially to let any caretakers of your children (if you have them) know about this just in case. EVEN DAYCARES. Food contamination can be spread simply by using the same pan/grill to make shellfish in being used again for something else.

I personally would go to the extent of when ordering at a restaurant just say you have a shellfish allergy so you can avoid that possibility completely.

All my love,
Val

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Is it killed by heat?
Is cooked food ok?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
They suggest thoroughly cooking shellfish. That still makes me nervous, however.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

ValentineWiggin
They suggest thoroughly cooking shellfish. That still makes me nervous, however.

I think many people would be horrified if they knew what nasties were living on their food before they cooked it

Cook food well, it makes it safe and you get more from it because its easier to digest.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

They say that if the cooking reaches 75 degrees c (167f) throughout, that will kill of cholera nicely.

EDIT: i should add that this temperature should be kept for a few minutes at the very least and that all shells should open.

Generally picking fresh seafood which has been chilled (preferable in more humid climates) is the best way to avoid needing to cook so thoroughly.

edit on 17-10-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thank you much for more specific info!

join