It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party Republican Defends Being on Medicaid While Opposing Medicaid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
link

My eye is twitching.

He opposes Medicaid.... Yet he's using Medicaid for his family?

Is this more political do as I say but not as I do?

The rules don't apply to me cuz I'm a politishyun?

If he opposes something so much... why does he use it?

Truly, he has a dizzying intellect.

A Tea Party candidate for Idaho's House of Representatives defended himself against allegations of hypocrisy following an NBC News article in which he admitted to signing his entire family up for Medicaid while running on a platform that calls for the dismantling of all government programs.

"I don’t think that the government should be involved in health care or health insurance," Greg Collett, 41, of Caldwell told NBC News earlier this month.

Collett, a self-employed software developer by trade, went on to note that his ten children — two biological, eight adopted — are all recipients of health insurance through the government's Medicaid program, and acknowledged that "there are a lot of people out there that’ll cry foul" over the dissonance.

And, indeed, many people did visit Collett's personal site shortly afterward to ask him what the hell.

In a lengthy response to all the naysayers, Collett attempted to defend his hypocrisy, but made it so much worse:

Let me set the record straight. Yes, I participate in government programs of which I adamantly oppose. Many of them, actually. Am I a hypocrite for participating in programs that I oppose? If it was that simple, and if participation demonstrated support, then of course. But, my reason for participation in government programs often is not directly related to that issue in and of itself, and it certainly does not demonstrate support. For instance, I participate in government programs in order to stay out of the courts, or jail, so that I can take care of my family; other things I do to avoid fines or for other financial reasons; and some are simply because it is the only practical choice. With each situation, I have to evaluate the consequences of participating or not participating.

Or, as Opposing Views helpfully summarizes: "[I]t is okay to take part in programs one opposes as long as one does not 'support' those programs."

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Recently, I nearly choked on a piece of meat which jammed above my stomach. I was violently ill and nearly died. I needed hospital treatment.

I am very poor, BUT I have not presented my health card. I will take the savage bill from the Quebec Government when it comes and find a way to pay it.

Why?

Just because I have the right to scam the taxpayers of their hard earned cash does not make it morally right.

It is my bill and I should and shall pay for it.
edit on 17-10-2013 by abacus10 because: mistypes

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
How could this person adopt eight kids when he's so poor that he needs to file for aid for his kids? He chose to adopt them then let him pay for them.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Yes, coming from a conservative that adamantly believes in personal responsibility, it leaves the realm of hypocrisy into bat**** crazy rationalization.

I thought only this style of cognition took place in Texas. Being a native Texan I'm very familiar with this thinking modality; Often referred to a trailer park conservatism. Praising the likes of Gov. Rick Perry while standing in Piggly Wiggly line, paying with food stamps.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The guy's a politican, why are you so surprised?

The Conservative politicians in the U.K spout about welfare scroungers, but think nothing about claiming expenses for a 100 yard car journey or £35.00 for a breakfast.

Yes, hypocrisy reigns in the corridors of power.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Ronald Reagan on Medicare

Now look at the actions:
in 1988, Reagan (President by then) expanded Medicare, the first overhaul since 1965 source
Point is, conservatism is a lie at best, and just unthinking morons at worse.
a actual conservative (by the definition of conservation) will not talk about elimination or anything, but rather how to implement things efficiency for minimal cost to maximum effectiveness.
But the pretend fiscal conservatives won't. They will (and always have) take low brow hits at programs that are being ushered in and simply tossing wrenches in cogs to make it more expensive and less effective.

This does not surprise me. What surprises me is that seemingly intelligent people whom call themselves fiscal conservatives have no clue what it means to be conservative. no, breaking the tractor you purchased to replace the shovels is not being thrifty, its just being dumb.

And nothing will change.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978
The guy's a politican, why are you so surprised?

The Conservative politicians in the U.K spout about welfare scroungers, but think nothing about claiming expenses for a 100 yard car journey or £35.00 for a breakfast.

Yes, hypocrisy reigns in the corridors of power.

Seems things are the same either side of the pond.

Rich people welfare is different, its more sparkly, therefore more acceptable.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by abacus10

Aren´t you a taxpayer also? Haven´t you paid taxes as well when you worked?

About the politician: lack of integrity. When you believe in something, you do not act the opposite, simply because you can.
edit on 17-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

O.O IM SOOOOOO Surprised this thread has not picked up any attention on ATS's political hotspot!

*sarcazamz! + rolling eyes!*

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

abacus10
Recently, I nearly choked on a piece of meat which jammed above my stomach. I was violently ill and nearly died. I needed hospital treatment.

I am very poor, BUT I have not presented my health card. I will take the savage bill from the Quebec Government when it comes and find a way to pay it.

Why?

Just because I have the right to scam the taxpayers of their hard earned cash does not make it morally right.

You might want to revisit the dictionary in addition to chewing more thoroughly. You had a legit health problem. That's the intent of health insurance. Hard to twist that up into a scam. You fought the good fight though.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This has got to be a joke. I cannot believe that a tea partier who would vote to repeal Obamacare would turn around and apply for medicaid. He's got 10 kids he can't support without welfare, and gets on his soapbox preaching about personal responsibility.

For instance, I participate in government programs in order to stay out of the courts, or jail

Really? So he needs welfare to stay out of jail. When did refusing welfare become a crime?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

abacus10

You had a legit health problem. That's the intent of health insurance. Hard to twist that up into a scam.

Until 1975, you had the legit right to buy a black man in the Republic of Mauritania to do all your housework and whip him with a cane if he slacks off. That was what legalised slavery was for. Hard to twist that up into a scam.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

grey580
link

My eye is twitching.

He opposes Medicaid.... Yet he's using Medicaid for his family?

Is this more political do as I say but not as I do?

The rules don't apply to me cuz I'm a politishyun?

If he opposes something so much... why does he use it?

Truly, he has a dizzying intellect.

A Tea Party candidate for Idaho's House of Representatives defended himself against allegations of hypocrisy following an NBC News article in which he admitted to signing his entire family up for Medicaid while running on a platform that calls for the dismantling of all government programs.

"I don’t think that the government should be involved in health care or health insurance," Greg Collett, 41, of Caldwell told NBC News earlier this month.

Collett, a self-employed software developer by trade, went on to note that his ten children — two biological, eight adopted — are all recipients of health insurance through the government's Medicaid program, and acknowledged that "there are a lot of people out there that’ll cry foul" over the dissonance.

And, indeed, many people did visit Collett's personal site shortly afterward to ask him what the hell.

In a lengthy response to all the naysayers, Collett attempted to defend his hypocrisy, but made it so much worse:

Let me set the record straight. Yes, I participate in government programs of which I adamantly oppose. Many of them, actually. Am I a hypocrite for participating in programs that I oppose? If it was that simple, and if participation demonstrated support, then of course. But, my reason for participation in government programs often is not directly related to that issue in and of itself, and it certainly does not demonstrate support. For instance, I participate in government programs in order to stay out of the courts, or jail, so that I can take care of my family; other things I do to avoid fines or for other financial reasons; and some are simply because it is the only practical choice. With each situation, I have to evaluate the consequences of participating or not participating.

Or, as Opposing Views helpfully summarizes: "[I]t is okay to take part in programs one opposes as long as one does not 'support' those programs."

Really out of all the hypocrisy of the Democrats, this is what you choose to talk about?

There is nothing you can possibly educate anyone on ever.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

Really out of all the hypocrisy of the Democrats, this is what you choose to talk about? There is nothing you can possibly educate anyone on ever.

For the record. Both parties suck.

However in response.

new topics

top topics

join