Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Ohio woman charged in theft of $2.87 from fountain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
In a sane world the cop would have handed her a $20 and told her where to find some help for her and her cats and maybe even offered her a ride home.
Too bad we don't live in a place like that anymore.

Eta - For some reason this story really breaks my heart.
Be extra nice to someone today.
With all the doom going on we need gentle reminders of our common humanity more than ever.
edit on 17-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I was throwing change in my yard so it would grow into the grass so my grandchildren could find something with the metal detector in the yard in a couple of years. This way they don't have to make deep holes when they dig. An old retired professor I know saw a quarter and picked it up. He said, boy there is a lot of money in your yard, I have walked around many times picking it up. I told him I was throwing it out for the reason I stated above and he looked at me strange. He never offered to throw some change back, not even the quarter he just picked up which he slipped in his pocket as I was telling him. I suppose the ten bucks worth of change I threw out in the yard is in his piggy bank.

He makes four grand a month on retirement and he is taking my change out of the yard. He still looks for it , I see him. I don't throw it in the front yard anymore, I can't get a reading with the metal detector of any change either, I guess he is pretty thorough at what he does. I also had spider lightning one night that vaporized a penny on the cement outside, leaving a dark circle around where the penny used to be. Maybe this lightning also hit other coins. So mother earth is also taking these coins. I can't win.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

I wonder is that the case for the majority of fountains. Yeah I think if people knew that then most wouldn't throw the money in any more.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

ah some people! I cant believe he put the money in his pocket in front of you lol and continues to look for it! awl scrounger!

I know some people like that, it's probably the reason they stay wealthy.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

luciddream
Its the same concept getting charged for stealing a 50 cent candy. Stealing is stealing no matter the amount.

Its ridiculous but it is what it is.

Taking money out of a fountain is not stealing as far as I'm concerned. You can define it however you want. If I were sitting on the jury that tried a case like this, she would walk. Then I would find her and give her a C-note.

The banksters, corporatists and their sock-puppets in "government(s)" are quite literally stealing billions. And these puffed-up, self-important police want to bust a woman for cleaning metal contaminates out of a public fountain??

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

paraphi
reply to post by luciddream

Yes, stealing is stealing. She knew what she was doing so should suffer the consequences, although likely she'll just be told off.

Regarsd

Maybe she knew but not everyone would. People make a wish and throw money into fountains...throw it away
It is no different than if you find a coin on the ground in my opinion it is in a public place it should not be OWNED by the government. Not everyone would realize it wasn't there for whoever picks it up unless there is a sign.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

supermarket2012
For those that don't know....the fountain IS a source of income for whoever owns the property. Where did you guys think all the money goes? Rhetorical question, because before I saw it on an episode of Modern Marvels, I didn't know either.

On Modern Marvels, they had a company on that basically cleans the dirty coins from fountains, and restores them. Then, the company sends them to the bank, and gets to keep a percentage, while the property owner of the fountain gets the rest. They specifically avoided telling us the financial aspects of fountains, probably for areason, lol.

So anyway, yes, that is probably why they charged her with theft. A combination of a hard headed cop, and the fact that the fountain is a generator of income I guess.

Anyway, when I was younger, one of my exs jumped into a fountain, in the middle of the Square where i live, and started grabbing all the coins. I followed suit, and within minutes we were soaked, with hand fulls of coins, running back to my Jeep, lol.

Which has to make one wonder, does the mayor or someone take the main percentage and put it in his bank, is there anyone who keeps track of this. Sure hate to think a poor woman in need can't have what some stupid big wig can or even the company who retrieves the money why should they get part of the public funds. there better have been a bid for that contract. I know these things can add up to BIG money people would be surprised how much I am sure.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Soloprotocol

If you find a Twenty blowing down the street and pick it up and keep it..are you stealing it ???

In the UK, yes...it's called theft by finding, don't know if the same rule applies in the states.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

chiefsmom

So, I guess they set a bad precedent for the people in our township? Not in my eyes. Actually the way government is suppose to work, right?

Good for you. We can't use our community center built with taxpayer dollars. If you try you're denied. If you get a lawyer they say "okay but you'll have to pay (enter outrageous made up dollar amount here)".

Meanwhile everybody complains that this brand new multi-million dollar building is always empty and unused.

My best guess is somebody is using it as a brothel for the politicians and their friends or something since no townspeople can step foot into it.

They even kicked out the seniors from the promised "senior center" wing and boarded up the doors and windows to that side of the building. How ridiculous to have a brand new 2005 building with half the windows boarded up. Tax dollars hard at work.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by rickymouse

ah some people! I cant believe he put the money in his pocket in front of you lol and continues to look for it! awl scrounger!

I know some people like that, it's probably the reason they stay wealthy.

For some it may be that they cannot stand waste. if you were hungry as a child and you watched people waste what you actually needed badly it is painful. I can't bare seeing people waste things it is painful to me. When I was a kid and saw pie eating or hot dog eating contests on TV i was in pain, they wasted all that food and i was so hungry. I still feel sick when I see this or the tomatoes that could feed thousands that they throw at that big tomato throwing thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Well god damn it.

What the hell is wrong with the law and those involved with it?

So I take it that since such a petty amount of money stolen is an issue that they will follow up with a case against the federal reserve for stealing untold trillions...probably need a new term for the amount stolen from our country for about 100 years.....

Right?

Oh, no? Then go 8#^! yourself. What the hell is wrong with the person who saw her dip into the fountain in the first pace. "Oh no! MA CHANGE!!!! That belongs to US.....some one stop her!"

Sick. Kill em all.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

woogleuk

Soloprotocol

If you find a Twenty blowing down the street and pick it up and keep it..are you stealing it ???

In the UK, yes...it's called theft by finding, don't know if the same rule applies in the states.

What are you guys supposed to do if you find a quarter? Leave it on the street or carry it to the police? I bet if you turn in untraceable 20$ the police you handed it to would pocket it., or do they put a bulletin out for the owner all over the city lol!

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Restricted
Is it me or are cops getting dumber?

They've been hiring under an established IQ ceiling for quite some time now. They are dumber. By design.

See: Jordon vs. New London

It's not you, it's policy.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I think for most people if they find a £20 in the street they just keep it, but ive seen many cases where the police have reported that money has been found and to contact the police station. I suppose the person would have to know the exact amount in order to claim it. Personally if I found a substantial amount of money I would try and find the owner via the police, but a loose 20 floating by me then yeah I would probably pocket it and call it a lucky day. I once approached a bank machine after a lady and noticed she had left her money in it, I chased her down the street with it to return it to her, I hope someone would do the same for me.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So, are you trying to get those idiot criminals out of office? Because anymore, while I don't think I can do crap at the state and fed levels, I sure do everything I can at the local level.

Just like with this story. If this happened in our community, I would be in court on her day. And if they did fine or punish her in someway, I would be all over getting her story heard in the community, and letting everyone know that they should vote out those that punished her.

We have to start doing something, even if it is just in our communities.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Sounds to me the police did her a favor shes guaranteed 3 meals a day and a place to sleep. So just depends onhow you look at it i suppose.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

If you drop a coin on the ground and fail to pick it up, is it stealing when someone else comes across it on the ground and takes it? Or do you expect that coin to sit on the ground with no one making use of it at all? If you let it lay on the ground, are you not dismissing the value of that coin? If someone else finds great value in that same coin, can you truly fault them? Does it matter if the coin is dropped on the ground or thrown into a fountain for some arbitrary superstition that it's somehow going to "buy" one a wish? If a coin is dropped on the steps of a courthouse, is it now city property because it rests within its property? Does that mean that any money that is on your person when you walk onto that same property is now theirs, too? If you toss a coin into a fountain and then retrieve it yourself, did you just steal from the city?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I totally agree. Granted, taking money, even from a fountain in front of a court house isn't the brightest idea, but neither is charging the poor woman for theft. Sometimes it's like we want to see people suffer. I can only shake my head in disgust.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

dragonridr

Sounds to me the police did her a favor shes guaranteed 3 meals a day and a place to sleep. So just depends onhow you look at it i suppose.

But then who will care for her little kitties?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

Restricted
Is it me or are cops getting dumber?

They've been hiring under an established IQ ceiling for quite some time now. They are dumber. By design.

See: Jordon vs. New London

It's not you, it's policy.

The guy in the article became a prison guard. Isn't that interesting?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution