It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bigfoot' DNA Matches Rare Polar Bear : British Geneticist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It’s a mystery that has puzzled climbers and lovers of legends for centuries – but it may finally have been solved.

Tests on hair samples were found to have a genetic match with an ancient polar bear, with scientists believing there could be a sub species of brown bear in the High Himalayas that has been mistaken for the mythical beast.

Source : www.ufo-blogger.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
That is possible, but gene expression is the clue as to what evolves in the polar bear to make it into a bigfoot. Look at the difference in people, one child can become a nuclear physicist while their sibling likes to work in a factory. If gene expression was not a deciding factor in our intelligence than we would be all the same, looking almost identical.

So what makes an ancient polar bear into a bigfoot. What boosts it's intelligence and makes it walk upright all the time. Diet? A diet that is matched to a genetic expression trait? I guess that until they unlock the full knowledge of the junk DNA we won't know. At that point they can create a superior race of mankind. How boring it will be then.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
did this ancient polar bear walk upright? if it is this ancient polar bear, there had to have been a lot of changes over the years to what it looks like.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The argument doesn't really work. The difference between the intelligence in a factory worker and a physicist is negligible when compared to the difference between an ape and a bear.

Bears can't become bigfoot.. not amount of evolution. It means one of two things.. either this brown polar bear is out there and people are mistakibg it dor bigfoot because its size is too great for a black or brown bear.. OR someone tried to pull a hoax with this ancient fur (which is more likely).

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Fascinating that we have proof of an unknown species roaming the forests, i had always assumed by this point in man's history any large land roaming animal would have been hit, or shot and dragged out of the bush.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The hoax with ancient fur is possible. So is the possibility that this ancient extinct bear isn't really so extinct somewhere out in the backwoods. The fur could have been found in a different place than they say it did also.

They are finding fish that they found are extinct, maybe there are animals that aren't extinct. I would like to see an elephant bird myself, sitting on my table stuffed. Would cranberries be appropriate with elephant bird?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by awakehuman

Your link goes to a story which says Bigfoot hair but the original story is about the Yeti??

Those hair samples were found in northern India not north America??

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

rickymouse
That is possible, but gene expression is the clue as to what evolves in the polar bear to make it into a bigfoot. Look at the difference in people, one child can become a nuclear physicist while their sibling likes to work in a factory. If gene expression was not a deciding factor in our intelligence than we would be all the same, looking almost identical.

So what makes an ancient polar bear into a bigfoot. What boosts it's intelligence and makes it walk upright all the time. Diet? A diet that is matched to a genetic expression trait? I guess that until they unlock the full knowledge of the junk DNA we won't know. At that point they can create a superior race of mankind. How boring it will be then.

No you don't understand. There is no smart bear walking on hind legs. Bears CAN go on their hind legs, but they will not use that as their preferred method of travel. It's a regular bear, nothing special (at least no more special than any other bear).

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I believe a creature that we refer to as the Yeti or the Bigfoot does exist. I don't know what it is, but from the encounters I read about it does not seem to be a bear. It seems very intelligent. Bears are smart but very poor at eluding humans. The bigfoots seem to keep away as much as possible, probably because they can communicate with each other and pass on knowledge of how people killed them in the past from fear or plain cruelty. Heck, If I was smarter I would keep away from humans too, half of the people want you to support them by buying something you do not really need. Bigfoots may be afraid of salesmen and telemarketers too.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Of course; it's not like Giant Pandas and Mountain Gorillas avoided detection until the 20th century or anything. How absurd to think that science can't explain and account for everything!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

rickymouse

Intelligence =/= personality and ethics.

Maybe these beings are self aware?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Standing upright to get a view of what's around them is a common bear behaviour. They're far from bipedal, but frankly it's entirely possible that some or all reports of Yeti can be accounted for as misidentified bears - same for Bigfoot here in the Americas. I don't think for one second that it's a coincidence that this Oxford geneticist, one of the leading experts on the planet, found hair from a previously unknown archaic variant of polar bear in an area where people report seeing a large, white furry creature.

An ancient, thought-extinct sub-species of polar bear roaming the Himalayas may not be as sexy as an unknown hominid, but it's still pretty damned fascinating. Where I live, polar bears are semi-aquatic and hunt seals on/around sea ice.. I'd love to know how they were getting by in the Himalayas.

It's fascinating to think that there's an unknown bipedal great ape species out there roaming the wilderness, but in the age where every other hunter has a camera trap, where there are more humans than ever in more remote places than ever, where are they?

Something I hear more and more often from the 'bigfootologists' is that the creature has some kind of paranormal ability to avoid people/cameras. If you have to go to that sort of length to reinforce your beliefs, I think you should reexamine them.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tacocat

That's an incredibly Eurocentric view.. there's no doubt that the people who lived in the habitats of these animals knew all about them.

In 500 BC, the Carthaginian sailor Hanno the Navigator described, living in west Africa, 'a savage people, the greater part of whom were women, whose bodies were hairy, and who our interpreters called Gorillae.' There they are described thousands of years ago. Not only was the word itself in use by local Africans, they were correctly identified as being very much like, but not quite, humans.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

all2human
Fascinating that we have proof of an unknown species roaming the forests, i had always assumed by this point in man's history any large land roaming animal would have been hit, or shot and dragged out of the bush.

Really giant leap from testing some hair that you really don't know for sure where it came from and saying that explains big foot and that is walking around out there. There can be no definitive proof until there is a body found.

Hair is to easy to place and or hoax. Believers use it to further their beliefs but true scientific researchers put it on the shelf beside prints and others until such time they have a body or even semi in tact skeleton.

Not so long ago we found a healthy population of high mountain tigers living across the himalayas. Many scientists said it was not possible but the local people knew they were there. They said the chupacabra was not real, many still argue despite at least one DNA exam of unknown species. There is no doubting it is a new species anymore, it is too widespread and too many of them.

Where does this leave Bigfoot, well it's not a bear cross breed lol. I think we will find something very special and unique about Bigfoot. Despite what some people say there are just too many sightings around the world. There is something very special about these beings.

The Bot

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
PLEASE JOIN US ON OUT OF THE BOX WHERE THIS THREAD WILL BE DISCUSSED.

Join the OOTB crew TONIGHT as they discuss the weird and wonderful world of ATS....

Hosts: NoRegretsEver, Wrabbit2000, Above Board, ImaMarty, Druid42

OUT OF THE BOX

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by rickymouse

The argument doesn't really work. The difference between the intelligence in a factory worker and a physicist is negligible when compared to the difference between an ape and a bear.

Bears can't become bigfoot.. not amount of evolution. It means one of two things.. either this brown polar bear is out there and people are mistakibg it dor bigfoot because its size is too great for a black or brown bear.. OR someone tried to pull a hoax with this ancient fur (which is more likely).

who knows if bears cant become bigfoot, invertebrate 'fish' became man and virtually all known living species. perhaps back in the early mammalian history when the ancient precursor to the bear diversified a branch of said species split of or was isolated long enough to evolve into something completely different from its predecessors. bears and bigfoot would share the same survival traits such as eating berries and plant shoots, also in-season fish and meat albeit either deer or carcass.
On the other hand it could just be a descendant of a stray Gigantopithicus, or perhaps even an alien mutation that was a human prototype failure.

We'll never know until science has advanced enough to find out these things, or until the human population is so rampant that bigfoots become a known species/common occurrence/extinct. We humans have never been good at co-existing.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
tis no polar bear there is solid evidence of werebears, and no im not punning al gore at tal

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This must be some kind of "Manna" Polar Bear as the sample location from the Himalayas simply wouldn't produce enough calories to sustain a polar bear.

An 8 foot polar bear needs to consume around 2KG of animal fat per day...without seals; it is highly unlikely that the high altitude locale would provide sufficient sustenance to support a minimum population of 2?

Wherever there are big bears; there are plentiful supplies of food..unless the Himalayan population are farmers this is probably just an issue with DNA testing process.

edit on 3-2-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The Oxford professor finds ancient bear-like DNA in a hair sample that he assumed (as did those who provided him with it) came from a Himalayan yeti. He then infers that all yetis are simply cases of misidentified and rare bears!

What kind of scientific logic is that? He would not stay long in his job If he worked for the police as a forensic pathologist! Whether ancient or modern, bears do NOT walk on their hind legs, as the yeti is always reported to do. In his zeal to debunk the legend of the yeti, this geneticist has been taken in by false reports surrounding this hair sample. He has no proof that the hair came from a real, upright-walking yeti and his case rests on the flimsy belief by others that this was the case.

Is this evidence that the descendants of bears that science thought were extinct still roam the Himalayan mountains? Yes.
Is this proof that the yeti is such a type of bear? Nooooooo! Of course not! Teach this scientist some logic.
edit on 3-2-2014 by micpsi because: Typo corrected.

edit on 3-2-2014 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join