It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Grandfather Wins £125,000 for a £50 bet that his Grandson Would Play football For Wales......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Being the betting man that I am, I absolutely love this story with a great outcome....

A grandfather is to net £125,000 after he placed a £50 bet on his grandson playing football for Wales - when he was 18 months old...

Sixteen-year-old Harry Wilson made his international debut on Tuesday as a substitute against Belgium, becoming Wales' youngest ever senior player...

Footballer, Harry Wilson

His grandfather Peter Edwards, 62, was quoted odds of 2,500/1 when he placed the bet with William Hill bookmaker in Wrexham....

He is now set to retire a year earlier than originally planned. What a surprise that is..

Wrexham-born Wilson came on in the 87th minute during Wales' 1-1 draw with Belgium...

At 16 years and 207 days, the Liverpool midfielder was 108 days younger than previous record holder Gareth Bale, now the world's most expensive footballer following his recent move to Real Madrid...

There had been speculation that England were ready to try to persuade Wilson to switch international allegiance, but he opted for Wales...

Mr Edwards explained how he felt when Wilson made his appearance...

Mr Edwards, the boys grandfather...

"I was shattered because I had to wait for 85, 86 minutes before he came on and I was panicking because they'd already substituted twice, so I thought he wasn't going to make it onto the field," he said.

"But when he came on I had another glass of wine. (I was) a proud granddad first for sure.

"I told my wife at half-time that my pulse was 106 - I didn't know whether that was good or bad."

Mr Edwards said Wilson had showed an interest in football from a young age...

Peter Edwards was quoted odds of 2,500/1 when he placed the bet...

"When he was about 18 months old he used to chase a ball around on the carpet before he could walk," Mr Edwards added.

"I went into the William Hill betting shop in Wrexham, and asked them how I go about putting the bet on. I had no idea how to do it and the manageress put me in touch with the London office."

Electrical contractor Mr Edwards, of Corwen, Denbighshire, works away from home most of the year, spending one weekend a fortnight with wife Dorothy, 58...

"She is over the moon. I retired immediately. I told my manager yesterday that if Harry plays I wouldn't be coming back," said Mr Edwards.

"I've retired one year early. I have come home now and will not be going back. Not bad for a daft and stupid little bet."

He said after Harry enrolled in the Liverpool FC academy his skills quickly developed and he returned to William Hill in the hope of placing a second bet, but they turned him down...

www1.skysports.com...
Link to the story...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

I wonder how much influence the bet had on his decision to opt for Wales over England?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
A few years ago the Daily Mirror compared the cost of the England team - Beckham etc - with the Welsh team. If I remember correctly, the cheapest Welsh player was worth £300.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

stargatetravels
reply to post by davethebear

I wonder how much influence the bet had on his decision to opt for Wales over England?

Probably had quite a big influence I would say, especially if you are that close to getting a Wales call up and your grandfather winning 125,000 quid, and you will maybe get a cut as well....

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Whodathunkdatcheese
A few years ago the Daily Mirror compared the cost of the England team - Beckham etc - with the Welsh team. If I remember correctly, the cheapest Welsh player was worth £300.

Does that include Giggs as well? He must be at least worth £600........

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Cool story, but you'd surely want better odds...? Even for Wales

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A similar one was a man who won $1,000,000 for a $1 bet in New York. In 1930, he place the bet that within 50 years, a man would walk on the Moon. Neil Armstrong stepped out just days before the deadline, some 49 years and 250 days later, winning him his million to one bet.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Whodathunkdatcheese

I doubt this is true, unless some free agent was in the team back then or very young player. Just on comparison the current world record transfer fee was paid for a Welsh this summer - Gareth Bale. Also Ramsay is definetely not a cheap player. Most of the players are playing in English highest-second highest division, where no player is worth 300 £

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

abacus10
A similar one was a man who won $1,000,000 for a $1 bet in New York. In 1930, he place the bet that within 50 years, a man would walk on the Moon. Neil Armstrong stepped out just days before the deadline, some 49 years and 250 days later, winning him his million to one bet.

Now Abacus, that's what I call a good damn bet, and to get the winnings just before the fifty years was up as well, awesome.........

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Liverpool have a crop of extremely good young players at the moment.
Raheem Sterling is just the tip of the iceberg, and I expect Jordan Ibe (who is also on the fringes of the first team) to be a better player.

new topics

top topics

join