It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Rice to Be Named Secretary of State UPDATE: Bush Taps Rice To Replace Powell

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Condolezza Rice is set to replace Colin Powell as Secretary of State according to White House officials who say the announcement could come as soon as Tuesday. Rice will leave her role as National Security Advisor. It is unknown at this time who would be on the short list for that role, but Paul Wolfowitz is rumored to be in the running.

UPDATE: 11/16/04 In a press conference just held President Bush has officially announced the nomination of Condoleezza Rice.

WASHINGTON - President Bush promoted his most trusted foreign policy adviser to Secretary of State on Tuesday, tapping Condoleezza Rice to replace warrior-turned-diplomat Colin Powell as part of a sweeping second-term Cabinet overhaul.

"The secretary of state is America's face to the world and in Dr. Rice the world will see the strength, grace and decency of our country," Bush said of his national security adviser.

He thanked Powell, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and national security adviser, for working "tirelessly and selflessly" on behalf of the country.
Rice

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON White House officials said Monday they expect President Bush to name Condoleezza Rice (search) to replace Colin Powell as secretary of state, sources told FOX News on Monday night.

If nominated and confirmed, Rice would be the second woman and the second African American to be the nation's top foreign policy representative.

Powell sent his letter of resignation to Bush on Friday but the news of his departure was not released until Monday. Powell thanked Bush on Monday for bringing him into his first-term administration, but said the two had discussed it, and it's time for Powell to go.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This may be a bad sign. Rice represents the primary driving force for the neocon foreign agenda. Combine that with Rumsfield at Defense and possible Wolfowitz at the National Security Advisors Position, the neo-cons will be in complete control of the major cabinet positions. [edit on 11/15/04 by FredT]

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 11/16/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It should be interesting to see how well Rice does in that position. She is becoming quite a powerful woman in Washington DC

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
NOTE: I posted this a while back, and it seems all the more relevant today with her selection as Secretary of State

Condoleezza Rice senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and a professor of political science at Stanford University wrote an article titled "How to Pursue the National Interest ". The Hoover Institution is a conservative academic/research/think tank located on the Stanford University Campus in my hometown Palo Alto, CA. I was doing some research on an unrelated issue and came across this article. After reviewing the documents, I feel it provided a preview of the Foreign Policy agenda of the Bush Administration. When written, Rice was a foreign policy adviser to then presidential candidate Bush. It is a very intersting read and both sides of the Bush Foreign Policy issue will find it intersting. Please note, I am not trying to make a political statement either way with this post, just trying to see the thoughts behind the hows and the whys of forign policy in the Bush Administration.
www-hoover.stanford.edu...

The United States has found it exceedingly difficult to define its national interest in the absence of Soviet power. That we do not know how to think about what follows the U.S.-Soviet confrontation is clear from continued references to the "postCold War period." Yet such periods of transition are important because they offer strategic opportunities. During these fluid times, one can affect the shape of the world to come.

Strategic opportunities? Its interesting because the oil reserves of Iraq fit nicely into this strategy. However, I do believe that once the Soviet threat ended, Rice is correct in pointing out the lack of a "national interest".

She goes on to define what she feels should be important in a new administration.

American foreign policy in a new administration should refocus the United States on the national interest and the pursuit of key priorities. These tasks are to

Ensure that America's military can deter war, project power, and fight in defense of its interests if deterrence fails
Promote economic growth and political openness by extending free trade and a stable international monetary system to all committed to these principles
Renew strong and intimate relationships with allies who share American values and can thus share the burden of promoting peace, prosperity, and freedom
Focus U.S. energies on comprehensive relationships with the big powers, particularly Russia and China, that can and will mold the character of the international political system
Deal decisively with the threat of rogue regimes and hostile powers, which is increasingly taking the forms of the potential for terrorism and the development of weapons of mass destruction

Its intersting that the paper focus on establishing relationships with other countries, when the US has chosen to forgo traditional alliances (This is not a political statement, just an observation) However, the intial strategy of dealing with rouge nations is clearly outlined as well as the need to maintain a powerful military.

Power matters, both the exercise of power by the United States and the ability of others to exercise it. Yet many in the United States are (and have always been) uncomfortable with the notions of power politics, great powers, and power balances. In an extreme form, this discomfort leads to a reflexive appeal instead to notions of international law and norms and the belief that the support of many statesor even better, of institutions like the United Nationsis essential to the legitimate exercise of power. The national interest is replaced with humanitarian interests or the interests of the international community. The belief that the United States is exercising power legitimately only when it is doing so on behalf of someone or something else was deeply rooted in Wilsonian thought, and there are strong echoes of it in the Clinton administration. To be sure, there is nothing wrong with doing something that benefits all humanity, but that is, in a sense, a second-order effect. America's pursuit of the national interest will create conditions that promote freedom, markets, and peace. Its pursuit of national interests after World War II led to a more prosperous and democratic world. This can happen again.

Pax Amercana indeed. This is the dealbreaker in how the Bush administration seems to view its place in the world. I would encourace everyone who is both a fan and a critic to read the article. It does seems to give an insight on the neo-cons and thier views on foreign policy.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It's my humble opinion that the only difference between Condoleza Rice and a Pitbull in a dress is nothing. Both are about as ugly as it gets and dumb as a stick.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
It's my humble opinion that the only difference between Condoleza Rice and a Pitbull in a dress is nothing. Both are about as ugly as it gets and dumb as a stick.

May I beg of you an explanation as to why you believe Condoleza Rice is dumb?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Rice will surely be in the next Michael Moore movie on Bush administration...

I don't remember this Mr. the President, I need to verify Mr the President...

It will be nice on TV

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If she was smart then she would have been politically savy enough to get out of rumsfields way when the war in Iraq started and instead Rumsfield ran roughshod all over her to the point he was completely calling the shots, not even briefing her until after events had transpired. She was powerless at that time and that is not a sign of intelligence. Any other questions???

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Rice is so ugly she could make a freight train take the highway, scare the dark out of a closet, and I wouldn't be surprised if her family fed her with a slingshot when she was a small child.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Are you quite serious?? You may not agree with her policy stance or her agenda, but really now. A professor at Stanford? A Hoover Institute Fellow?

www-hoover.stanford.edu...

Not exactly dumb eh?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just because you have a PhD doesn't mean you are smart when you are dealing with other people. Remember that the earth was built for the stupid and also remember that people like Bill Gates who deal with people very well don't have Ph.D's.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Just because you have a PhD doesn't mean you are smart when you are dealing with other people.

Now your changing your tune. You called her dumb now your saying you ment socialy inept
Which is it?

Born November 14, 1954 in Birmingham, Alabama, she earned her bachelor's degree in political science, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver in 1974; her master's from the University of Notre Dame in 1975; and her Ph.D. from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver in 1981. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and has been awarded honorary doctorates from Morehouse College in 1991, the University of Alabama in 1994, the University of Notre Dame in 1995, the Mississippi College School of Law in 2003, the University of Louisville and Michigan State University in 2004. She resides in Washington, D.C.
www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
So much for that thread about Powell resigning because he was black and it hurt ties the saudi goverment

Now its going to be a black woman Im sure they would like that even more.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
As I said, having a PhD doesn't make you smart... It means you can read books and comprehend, even repeat what you read, but when dealing with people it means nothing. Condi has to deal well with people and she doesn't, evidence was Rumsfield making a fool out of her. BTW, if she was so good, why didn't she take the position of Sec of State to begin with instead of it going to Colin Powell? Obvious answer, Colin Powell is smart and people smart.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Just because you have a PhD doesn't mean you are smart when you are dealing with other people. Remember that the earth was built for the stupid and also remember that people like Bill Gates who deal with people very well don't have Ph.D's.

Bill Gates does have a Ph.D(Hons) in ripping off 95% of the worlds software users.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
He dropped out of Harvard his freshman year to start Microsoft. If he has one it was because he paid for it.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

He dropped out of Harvard his freshman year to start Microsoft. If he has one it was because he paid for it.

*off topic*
That was a joke, GrndLkNatv

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Ms Rice, the evil wanna be, piano playing diabolical, war mongering woman of the 2000"s. I'm not impressed. She's totally posessed by the devil.
Those late night sacrificial rituals seem to be working.....

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Ms Rice, the evil wanna be, piano playing diabolical, war mongering woman of the 2000"s. I'm not impressed. She's totally posessed by the devil.
Those late night sacrificial rituals seem to be working.....

Lets not forget that she has always been faithfull to the Bush family business first daddy Bush and now Bush Junior. I wonder why she has never gotten married.

She most be a die hard career women

[edit on 15-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting considering what Sean David Morton predicted on coasttocoastam October 21st.

While Bush didn't quite win in a landslide, he did get the most popular votes ever.

Bush will win in a landslide, he said, though there will be complaints about the voting process in some of the swing states. Bush will do some 'housecleaning' in his new term, with Colin Powell out and Condoleeza Rice in as the new Sec. of State, Morton added. He also said the tax system will be re-organized with the introduction of a flat tax, and some type of military draft will be introduced in the coming year.

www.coasttocoastam.com...

One of Bush's main agendas is the tax system.

Can anyone say Rice 2008? jk

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DClark
This is pretty interesting considering what Sean David Morton predicted on coasttocoastam October 21st.

While Bush didn't quite win in a landslide, he did get the most popular votes ever.

Bush will win in a landslide, he said, though there will be complaints about the voting process in some of the swing states. Bush will do some 'housecleaning' in his new term, with Colin Powell out and Condoleeza Rice in as the new Sec. of State, Morton added. He also said the tax system will be re-organized with the introduction of a flat tax, and some type of military draft will be introduced in the coming year.
[/

Can anyone say Rice 2008? jk
Now, the draft we were promised would NOT take place will be next.
Sean hits the nail on the head most of the time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join