It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Russian Meteorite Recovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
A piece, a very large piece, of the meteor which shattered the skies over Russia in February has been recovered.

The fragment broke into a couple of pieces as it was being weighed. I think this might be the largest meteorite recovered from an observed meteor.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 10/16/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Excellent! Now.. will the Russian Gov sweep in and take it?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
That is a huge fragment, and certainly explains the hole in the ice. Worth big bucks as well, but will probably wind up in a museum.

I know that there were some very large pieces of Sikhote Alin recovered, but do not know if any were this huge. Gonna check, but I think you are probably correct that this is the largest piece of a witnessed fall every found, at least in recorded history.

Addendum: Various web sites on Sikhote say the biggest recovered piece weighed 1.75 tons, which would make it 3 times larger than this piece (in weight, since Sikhote is an Iron). Since this frag of Chelyabinsk is a stone, it is probably physically larger.
edit on 17-10-2013 by charlyv because: added content

edit on 17-10-2013 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Amazing! Well, it was...until they broke it. Doh!

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

This frag will probably crumble further. Stony meteorites can be devastated by water. The water will seep into all of the fractures caused by the original detonation. Still, since it was witnessed as a solid piece when brought up, it will probably retain it's fame as the largest (physically largest) witnessed fall fragment in recorded history.

Considering the huge airburst, and finding a piece of this size, there is a lot more of this meteorite still to be found, and the pieces could be miles apart downrange.
edit on 17-10-2013 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow cool, thanks phage. I love keeping up on stories.
Cant imagine the price that a collector would pay for this if a john q public found this fella.
Regular ole space rocks can go for $.50 to $3.00 a gram. Famous ones can get into the $100-$300 a gram
This one with all its you tube fame is practically the Beiber of meteorites.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

I was asking myself the same question. Why did they break it? Isn't worth more when it's intact and bigger?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

Watch the video. It broke accidentally.

It's "worth" isn't really a concern though. At least, not monetarily.
edit on 10/17/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
If any of you watched the video footage of the alleged "meteorite" in its horizontal trail getting shot down then you will note that nothing would prevent the historically "Transparent" nation which needed Glastnost to come clean, to drop a rock into that lake during the months of research efforts, to then conveniently hoist it out in front of TV cameras. That an expert declares it at first sight as a certain sort of specific metallurgic composition is dandy, especially as this was done without any scientific testing?

Since this is widely accepted as the TRUTH emanating from the notoriously honest and reliable Mainstream Press, I ask of you:

"Would you immediately accept this rock as being a Meteorite if I filmed it being hoisted out of the pond in my back yard? NO ! Most of you would all be screaming HOAX... HOAX,,, HOAX...

So I leave you to your bubbles in which the Russian Authorities are necessarily honest and would never dream of concealing anything - not even that they shot down a UFO - as they are so genuinely attached to the Truth and to sharing all they know with the entire world. Enjoy the unfolding of yet another staged media event for the sheeple. UFOs are a figment of your imagination and Aliens definitely never existed.

GS

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Getsmart

"Would you immediately accept this rock as being a Meteorite if I filmed it being hoisted out of the pond in my back yard? NO ! Most of you would all be screaming HOAX... HOAX,,, HOAX...

Some perhaps.
Some might say, "It does look like other meteorites I've seen, though larger."
Others might wait until someone who knew what they were talking about had a look at it.
Some might say "Try sell it."
edit on 10/17/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What a big rock this is ! .... Glad it didn't fall in a crowdy place.

edit on 17-10-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for posting this Phage. Looks like an authentic meteorite to me. Reuters video gives it credibility. Great opportunity for science to study. Hope it didn't bring a nasty virus along with it. Fracturing it while attempting to weigh it is hilarious.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If that Rushin' meteorite hadn't been in such a hurry, it probably wouldn't have crashed!

Nothing of substance to add, just some light humor. Thanks for the cool story

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ah, okay. I thought they did it on purpose. Thanks Phage.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My conspiracy radar indicates this was the asteroid that was supposedly going to miss us. They knew it would hit,they did not want to panic the public. What were the odds?
edit on 17-10-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But But But IT WAS A UFO!!! people on here and all over the net said so

S&F by the way.
edit on 17-10-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
that's quite a big chunk. cool.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Nope that just a lump of coal.

It fell off Santa's sled on it's way to Phage's place last year.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
lol to heavy to weight ... Well Soon we know if this rock came from mars or not ? and if it's hiding some microbes ?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Phage if it was a Meteorite why arent they wearing any hands protection from space virus's?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join