Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Major Bushfires in NSW Australia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
these fires have gotten somewhat intense they are unofficially reporting hundreds of lost homes....this is a shocker ....many prayers going out to those affected...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

condolences to those who have lost homes and I really hope we have no loss of life in these fires.

I am so glad Tasmania has done some back burning this year. this will be a mad summer for fires.

THREE burns which were planned for the far North-West Coast yesterday have been delayed until today due to operational constraints. Conducted by Forestry Tasmania, the burns are part of the strategic fuel management program to provide protection to assets in the general area in the event of future bush fires.
The burns are located at -
- Salmon River Plain - 10 km east of Arthur River
- Frankland Plain - 18 km east of Couta Rocks
and - Meryanna Plain - 6 km south east of Trowutta.

source here

I hope Tasmania plan on doing more.
edit on 17/10/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I just woke, so im having my coffee while scanning the news and found an interactive map, i hope today gets better for everyone.

Here is the SMH real time interactive map with detailed information.

this is a screen shot from the map

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I'm in Little Hartley in the Kanimbla Valley at the moment (just below Mt Victoria and 15 mins from Lithgow). We've been packed and ready to evacuate for 2 days now.

Yesterday we woke up to the Lithgow fire pluming smoke into the air then we watched it jump all the way down to Springwood and Winmalee within an hour or so. We spent the night watching the entire ridge-line of the Blue Mountains ablaze. Today we woke up to choking smoke in our valley (just below the ridge-line) and started preparing to defend the property and/or evacuate.

Latest reports from here are that all is OK, they are backburning to try to stop the fire spreading down here but Sunday and Monday they are forecasting hot, dry and windy weather again which means we ain't out of trouble yet.

We personally know 5 people who have lost everything so far. Expecting more.
edit on 18/10/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Good luck mate.

my sister in law is in springwood and has been told to prepare to evacuate.

I went through this in 2000. unless you have been through a fire storm...you have no idea what fear is.

wishing you and all around you the best and keep us informed.
xx

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

This isn't my first fire. I was in the Glenorie fires and the Kenthurst fires too. The routine of packing the car, preparing the property and watching and waiting is becoming quite familiar.

It helps that my wifes father (whose place we are at) is a member of the RFS

My wifes grandmother and cousin are in Springwood too, they evacuated yesterday but returned last night and are just waiting for more info now.
edit on 18/10/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

we have had rain here on the gold coast, I wish I could send the rain your way.....you are way to close to the action for comfort.....stay safe

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I could jump in the car and be at the fires in 15 minutes, so yeah it's pretty damn close lol.

We are going to sleep in shifts tonight, not that any of us could sleep tonight anyway...

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Stay safe people. Everyone says the insurance will cover it but that is crap. Losing your home is losing your home. Bloody hard on children too.

My heart goes out to those that lost their homes. They are not just houses, they are family homes.

It is about time we started building better homes. This is the 21st Century, it is not rocket science to build homes that can withstand fire. Yes, it is difficult, but not impossible.

P

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The fires had destroyed a total of 208 homes and damaged another 122, the service said as assessment teams continued to update the tally in their search for survivors and victims.

It was meant to be day for fire-fighters to combat and contain the bushfires which have devastated New South Wales, but instead conditions have deteriorated

Bushfire update

Not over yet. A lot of families have lost everything!

P

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I was in the middle of the fire on the Central Coast we couldn't evacuate the only road in and out was shut down. Had the car packed just in case.
Our fire was nowhere as bad as the Blue Mountains hopefully everyone is safe and the weather plays nice.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Thorneblood
reply to post by Whateva69

Woh...now thats wild...
Which army range?
Sounds like OZ is under fire, or attack, any UFO's around?
edit on 16-10-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

Under attack?
UFOS?

Get a f***** grip.

This is Australia, bush fires happen EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Hundreds of them happen EVERY YEAR in Australia.

There's fires happening ALL AROUND AUSTRALIA RIGHT NOW.
Most of them are small and in unpopulated or low populated areas.

On occasion, unfortunately, a big fire event happens in or close to a heavily populated area. Like now on the western outskirts of Sydney.

Property loss is part of the consequences and part of the risks we take when we build homes and settle in forested areas.

There is no conspiracy here.
Nothing sinister happening. Except the douches who have looted houses in evacuation zones.

One fire MAY have been started accidentally by explosives training by the ADF near by.
And before you say it, the Army/ADF have nothing to gain by setting the western outskirts of Sydney on fire on purpose. THe fires are within a very close proximity to them too.

And I say one fire, because there are many fires burning right now.

Remember, this is Australia, we are used to big fires, they happen every single year.
The only extraordinary thing about this event is that it's happening so early, before the fire season has even started.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Back in reality now, the latest news

www.adelaidenow.com.au... 1226743469519

They are now advising that people should be ready to flee.
They expect things to get worse then they first thought.
It's likely three major fires could merge into one super-fire.
And they are publicly saying the obvious...they might not be able to save every community.
Not homes..but entire communities..they are saying will likely be lost.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
here are the warning this morning:

BALMORAL - WATCH AND ACT
Under forecasted north-westerly winds there is a potential threat of containment lines being breached and threatening the townships of Alpine, Aylmerton, Hill Top, Yerrinbool and Bargo.

Where conditions allow crews will continue backburning to strengthening containment lines.
Advice

Residents in the vicinity of this fire are reminded to remain vigilent and monitor the situation closely as conditions will be changing frequently throughout the day.

Check your Bush Fire Survival Plan and prepare for a bush fire in your area.

If your plan is to leave, or you are not prepared, leave early.

Specifically designed, constructed or modified homes, prepared to the highest level, may provide safety.

Advice (Illawarra residents)

While there is no threat to properties in the Illawarra at this time, residents are encouraged to remain vigilant and monitor the situation throughout the day.

Check and follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan and prepare yourself for the potential of a bush fire in your area.

School Closures
• Yanderra Public School - closed until further notice
• Hill Top Public School - closed Monday 21 October 2013 only

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
SPRINGWOOD - WATCH AND ACT
A potential threat from this fire still remains for the residents of:
• Mount Riverview
• Winmalee
• Springwood
• Faulconbridge
• Valley Heights
• Sun Valley
• Warrimoo
The fire is burning in Very High fire danger conditions and is currently less than two hours from properties. Under these conditions, fires can be difficult to control. Embers may be blown ahead of the fire, creating spot fires. These spot fires may threaten homes earlier than the predicted main fire front.
Advice

There is thick smoke in the area.

Be alert to burning embers. Put out any spot fires which start where you are.

Bush Fire Survival Plan into action. If you do not have a Bush Fire Survival Plan, know what you will do if the fire threatens your property.

Evacuation Centres

Evacuation Centres have been established at:
• Springwood Sports Club, 83 Macquarie Road, Springwood is OPEN.
• Lithgow Workers Club, 3-7 Tank Street, Lithgow is OPEN

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
these are update for the two main fires that are closer to me. I am actually closer to the blue mountains fire. the hospital is on disaster mode 1.

yesterday I had a convoy of interstate fire trucks go past. it was very emotional seeing help arrive from interstate. everyone was waving and the community spirit is just unbelievable.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Be safe people of New South Wales....Our bushfire season (South Aust) is usually January and February, so they will come to us too.

BTW, police have already arrested 2 teenage girls for starting some of these fires over there.

Probably 90% of them are copycat arson fires, started by loonies.....or Terrorists!!!

What a way to ensure "Shock and Awe" in the West...start bushfires....simple.

The only other major way bushfires start is from lightening strikes. (other than idiots welding or angle grinding near grass etc...yes it has happened many times. or backburning getting out of control, sometimes on windy hot days, electricity lines touch and spark or transformers burn out, catching on fire).

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

most of these were started by high winds and power lines sparking.

conditions are getting worse where I am. visibility is way down with the smoke haze. eerie glow of red on the ground. I have just laid out all my hoses and put the essentials together. im lucky that I have a bowling club across the road with beautiful green green grass and if the shtf...I can try my best and retreat across the road if need be.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

bellagirl
reply to post by gort51

most of these were started by high winds and power lines sparking.

conditions are getting worse where I am. visibility is way down with the smoke haze. eerie glow of red on the ground. I have just laid out all my hoses and put the essentials together. im lucky that I have a bowling club across the road with beautiful green green grass and if the shtf...I can try my best and retreat across the road if need be.

its not the fire that will kill you its the smoke.

Hope that green grass is far away from ur place.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

bellagirl
these are update for the two main fires that are closer to me. I am actually closer to the blue mountains fire. the hospital is on disaster mode 1.

yesterday I had a convoy of interstate fire trucks go past. it was very emotional seeing help arrive from interstate. everyone was waving and the community spirit is just unbelievable.

More SA CFS volunteers are on the way, a few hundred all up I believe.
Volunteers from Victoria too.

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join