It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Passed !! .. Congress sends gov't funding, debt bill to Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Congress sends gov't funding, debt bill to Obama

The continuing resolution bill passed both chambers of Congress.

Obama will sign it soon.

So, who wins ?

Who loses ?

This expires in January.

How much will be added to the National Debt ?

Oct 16, 10:21 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress has passed legislation to reopen the partially-shuttered federal government and avert a potentially disastrous default on U.S. obligations, clearing the measure for President Barack Obama's promised signature.

Passage of the bill late Wednesday in the House and Senate ended a Washington-created crisis that closed much of government for 16 days. It came on the eve of the date the Treasury Department warned it would no longer be able to borrow to pay the government's bills.

The legislation was carried to passage in the House by strong support from Democrats and 87 yes votes from majority Republicans who had originally sought to use the measure to derail Obama's three-year-old health care law.

Congress sends gov't funding, debt bill to Obama

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The people lose.. we were going to lose either way

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I read there is a 2 billion dollar earmark in it for mitch mcconnell and his state of Kentucky.

He couldn't, instead, insist that there is a year off of the individual mandate - er, tax - for those people who can't afford the unaffordable obamacareless debacle?

I wonder if there will even be an election in 2014?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Here's an article that has a summary of the Senate bill.

It's probably the same as the final version passed by the House......

Legislative Summary, Full Text of Senate Debt Deal Revealed

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Who wins? The politicians and the fat cats.

Who loses? The rest of us regular joes on the ground.

We'll see if Obama will pass it when he said that short funding bills weren't going to be okay with him. But I guess it really just comes down to the fact that it was a thing basically started by his own party instead of Republican deal.

Just more government shenanigans. I'm just wondering how long it's going to be before the rest of the world gets tired of this garbage.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

We the people lose as usual.

All we did is give the government another credit card to run up.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Well...I have already posted the first found "pork" in the bill....ATS Thread, and by my experience, this isn't the last of the "favors" that are embedded deep within the jargon.

So I will say we all lose.

Now on the political view:
Rep. Boehner -- Keeps his speaker position with the help of Democrats and the fact that it was shown he cannot control the "terrorist" of the House; this is only valid until 2014 and we see the fallout of the mid-term elections.

Sen. Cruz -- Unaffected or even strengthened.

Sen. Reid -- On his way out is my belief.

President Obama -- Insured a lame-duck presidency for the next 2 1/2 years.

Rep. Pelosi -- Extremely quite and hoping for an kink in the armor to try and move back into the speakership but won't happen.

The end deal was actually how negotiations should take place. There is a clear 'winner', but the 'losers' get to save face.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
So... 3 months.

Is there even a plan down there?

Wasn't the central banking act up for repeal this year?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

AnIntellectualRedneck
We'll see if Obama will pass it when he said that short funding bills weren't going to be okay with him. But I guess it really just comes down to the fact that it was a thing basically started by his own party instead of Republican deal.

Yeah, this really got me but yesterday was the House's chance. It reminded me of that game where we choose who will get to pick first in a pick-up game of b-ball. Last hand to the top of the bat, is the first choice. Boehner had his hand on top but couldn't rally his base and the deal fell apart; a deal that is nearly identical to that which was passed by the Senate.

President Obama had his political cover in place the whole time because I think Senator Reid is on his last leg and that is why he held the reigns.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

goou111

The US economy lost about a trillion dollars of GDP during the 2 week shutdown. So either way, bill passed or not - the US economy has been damaged by this shutdown. Not to mention this entire donkey an' pony show has hurt our image in regards to our creditors.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This means very little because in a few months the brats will be right back at it. In the meantime, nothing gets done and we get to hear both parties blame the other.

Go figure

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Evil_Santa

goou111

The US economy lost about a trillion dollars of GDP during the 2 week shutdown. So either way, bill passed or not - the US economy has been damaged by this shutdown. Not to mention this entire donkey an' pony show has hurt our image in regards to our creditors.

LOL

Can you show us the facts and figures ?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

jam321
This means very little because in a few months the brats will be right back at it. In the meantime, nothing gets done and we get to hear both parties blame the other.

Go figure

On top of that, get ready for a week straight of "rub it in the face" rhetoric from the "winners"....no wonder we cannot have civil conversation and debate here because we learn from the best!

At least I know I will get paid for all the time I have put in without seeing even basic minimum Federal wage....how is that not against the FSLA?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Evil_Santa

goou111

Where are you getting that nonsense!?! Standards and Poor rated it at about $24 billion....far, far, far short of your 'trillion' claim and I would trust them over some anonymous poster on a little known website such as ATS.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm so glad. January is a much better time of the year to have a massive debt crisis. It's also easier to deal with it because it get's really cold, and it makes suicide a lot less painful, because that's were alot of us are going to be headed when this comes up again! It beats hanging around waiting for the Obama Death Squads to come and pick me up. I am a Veteran, I am male and I am White, so I am VERY high on his Majesty, the Lord of Death, Obama's to-do list ! ! !

Suicide is prefered to hanging around and letting people like the Lord of Death Obama, Pelosi, Boehner, Cruz, mcconnel, clinton, etc decide what health care I'm going to be entitled to (I already know, I am 53, and the cut-off age is going to be 50, if you have any 'sickness" after 50, your "Health care" will automatically be cut off by the government, and basically, your on your own)

This is why you don't have to worry about the government paying for obama care, since the sick that are 50 or older will be left to wither on the vince and die. It's a VERY economical way to control health care costs, and like the constitution, the physicians "oathe" has had a stake driven through it's heart byt eh Lord of Death, Obama.

I have a great plan for suicide though, I recommend it to everyone. It involves some piano wire, a very stout metal hook, a very stout tree, and a freight train. Easy-peasy and no worries about causing any "first responders" to have to work to hard. They really hate that. especially the pigs .

Thankfully, at least in Colorado, for now, suicide is not a crime. I imagine that the measure to make suicide a "crime" nationally is going to approved shortly after the January budget crisis thing that's being scripted up. AS I understand it the law will make it a 10 yr/$10K fine, and forfeiture of any life insurance policy money to the federal government in the event you suceede at offing yourself, and if you don't, Uncle Sam becomes the only beneficiary on the policy, if and when ou do succeed, or they'll just put a bulllet in your hrad outright so they can have the cash.

In anycase, maybe we can set up a million person mass suicide on the mall, that should put a huge smile on the face of The Lord of Death, Obama's face!

You all have a great day. See you all in Hell in January !

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

You're right, S&P is calling it at 24 billion. The "almost trillion" was an estimated number that I saw on CSPAN2 earlier today after Sen. Cruz spoke. This number might have also included the 300 billion/yr that the budget cuts have cost the GDP in growth and the projected losses due to the loss of consumer confidence, due to the shutdown, over the next few years.

I'll see if i can dig up the overall numbers.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

Evil_Santa

goou111

Where are you getting that nonsense!?! Standards and Poor rated it at about $24 billion....far, far, far short of your 'trillion' claim and I would trust them over some anonymous poster on a little known website such as ATS.

Wow! Only 24 Billion? Glad it was just peanuts. I mean, what can you really buy for 24 billion these days anyway?

Might as well have just thrown it away, for all the good chump change like 24 Billion could do.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Evil_Santa
reply to post by ownbestenemy

You're right, S&P is calling it at 24 billion. The "almost trillion" was an estimated number that I saw on CSPAN2 earlier today after Sen. Cruz spoke. This number might have also included the 300 billion/yr that the budget cuts have cost the GDP in growth and the projected losses due to the loss of consumer confidence, due to the shutdown, over the next few years.

I'll see if i can dig up the overall numbers.

So it is speculated loss then; as it is measured or estimated over the 'next few years'. Measuring and tracking an economy at the macro-level by placing it into a vacuum doesn't work; regardless of what we are told. 300 million people do not always act as the models say we should act given any circumstances.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Obama will sign it soon.

Or will he....?
Dundunduunnn!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

The GDP is nothing but a scam that people willingly accept as a fact, America didn't lost anything.

The fiscal year starts in Oct. 1 and ends on September 30 of the following year, with the month of October to debate and negotiate the next year budget, so like I said many times before this so call scaremongering and pony show was to be over before the congress set dead line of the 17 and even if that should have been extended it would not have affected the budget unless the 30 of Oct. was reached.

Funding was there for the entire month of Oct. regardless, nothing has been lost but we as people in this nation lose once again to the corporate dictatorship that runs the nation.

Obama used scare tactics closing national monuments, barricading areas and telling lies about SS just to keep the public up in arms against the Republicans.

It was nothing but deceiving tactics that those that do not follow up the government, their political dirty games and how the law applies, scare.

Tell people that their welfare checks will not be in time and they will be running like headless chickens.

<<   2 >>

join