It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry, bullying is NOT a felony, even if the target commits suicide...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What is s' n-word'ing?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

God .. Pathetic.

You want to bully people, don't you.. Afraid of the law now, aren't you.

Awww there there little guy, you can still have kids of your own to raise like victims. Tell them to wipe away the tears when they cop it from 15 thugs, maybe whip them a thick skin.

It will be alright, jack.

Pathetic...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

Please don't missunderstand me, i'm not blaming victims of bullying for anything...they have enough on their plates. I'm giving you my honest opinion on what i instinctively know, both from my own experience in this life i've lives so far, and that of my family and those i've met and interacted with on my travels through life.

It's a message of hope...not condemnation. You can fight. You may not desire conflict or want to engage in violence, even in self defence..i respect that, i really do...but bullies, especially kids...don't. They really don't. In fact, they feed off that.

It does indeed sound 'backwards' or regressive to condone 'a punch on the nose'...but sometimes, we must realise we are not a sterile, clinical species and act on base behaviour WITH base behaviour in order to facilitate higher emotional growth, in the bullied and the bully, or would be bully.

Platitudes may sometimes work, bribery might sometimes work too...but instilling a sense of fear, a sense that the bully may suffer ridicule among their peers if they continue down that path and tangle with you?..in a bully or would be bully...it always works.

And when everyone send this message?

The bullying ends, and alliances and growth commence. Like with like is usually effective, among Humans anyway.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Oh, BTW, there is a second reason why (what we used to call) “the nerds” get singled out and beat on by the “pops” and the “jocks”... Station.

In the mind of the pops and jocks, they are better than the nerds. So when a pop makes a dumb remark in class and everyone laughs, in their mind they can do nothing about their peers laughing, but how dare those of a “lower social class” laugh at them. That increases the targeting of the unpopular by the popular. They feel that to regain their self image they have an authority to put the lesser social person “back in their place”.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Restricted
What is s' n-word'ing?

Its a word that is being truncated by the censor because of its spelling.
Lets try snickering.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

defcon5

Restricted
What is s' n-word'ing?

Its a word that is being truncated by the censor because of its spelling.
Lets try snickering.

OK. TY.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
As much as it irks me to say it, I have to agree with the thread title.

Allowing this to pass will only make people that much easier to frame, and add to that, less likely to be made accountable for their own decisions in the court of law. In most cases, suicide is one of many "options" a person can choose from before going there.

In a case like bullying, it's not the same as being inside an automobile that just fell off the Grand Canyon and having a matter of seconds to decide if you want to take your life or survive (at best) as a vegetable. Our society already suffers too much from accountability crisis and though the movement to bring attention to bullying is necessary, one should NEVER be held accountable for murder in a bullying suicide claim.

- Edit

Though once the bullying starts to get physical, throw on them whatever charges apply and lock those thugs up for a bit, hopefully they reform.
edit on 17-10-2013 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I saw plenty of it myself. For the most part, people have a really hard time putting themselves in anyone else's shoes. That is a big part of the problem. For the most part people don't even realize how they might make others feel.

As I have said, I never been on the receiving end of intellectual bullying, but I did see it happen to others. The only bullying I was victim to was class bullying. I was pretty poor up until the end of junior high when the family business started gaining some traction. I was never near rich, but I was firmly in the middle class by the time highschool rolled around. The only reason I was bullied at all was because I let them do it. Omce I made it clear that they would get their faces and clothes messed up if they continued on, it stopped in it's tracks. So it's not me lashing out at smart people. I am just calling it how I saw it in my school.

The problem isn't really bullies, it's the lack of life skills taught to deal with it. There will always be jerks to deal with in life. The whole authoritative system is stripping away life skills, and making kids less prepared to deal with the real world after school.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

BlubberyConspiracy
one should NEVER be held accountable for murder in a bullying suicide claim.

They aren't, they are being charged with “aggravated stalking” which is a law that has been on the books in Florida since around 1998. If you go back a few pages, or check my “posts in thread” you can read the actual law that I have posted.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Yeah, when you laugh maliciously at another. Apparently the censors thought I was trying to be a racist

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Trying to treat the internet like the real world is illogical.... Cyberstalking indeed. Huge difference between following someone around, and frequenting a forum or social media site. It's absurd to equate clicking a link with following someone. Those kind of laws are dangerous, and misguided.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

TKDRL
The problem isn't really bullies, it's the lack of life skills taught to deal with it. There will always be jerks to deal with in life. The whole authoritative system is stripping away life skills, and making kids less prepared to deal with the real world after school.

I don't believe you are correct.
I believe that even if everyone in a class has the same level of intellectual and physical development, you will still see the group split into the popular/unpopular crowd. Its a part of the human condition that one minority will “rule” the group and will become cruel to the “lesser” crowd.

If not starting over “teasing” or “snickering” it will start over something (money, clothing, taste, etc...), in this instance over a boyfriend.

There is nothing that I have seen to indicate that this girl was in any way unpopular, but was targeted because she broke up with a boyfriend and the new girlfriend and her crowd decided to pick on her out of jealousy.

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it." -Mark Twain

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

So the solution is throw everyone into the penal system? Yeah that will fix it, for the people that profit off the penal system that is. As you say, it will happen matter what, so making more and more laws will not fix it, at it has not fixed any other problem. We might as well just toss everyone into a cage from birth I guess. In the end, a majority will end up acting like animals in the end anyways.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

TKDRL
Trying to treat the internet like the real world is illogical.... Cyberstalking indeed. Huge difference between following someone around, and frequenting a forum or social media site. It's absurd to equate clicking a link with following someone. Those kind of laws are dangerous, and misguided.

Its not an issue of “following” someone around the net or frequenting the same sites. Its an issue of targeting someone for harassment (continued verbal threats and abuse). Usually to charge stalking there must be a “threat” and it must be “credible” (meaning one that the person has the ability to carry out).

There are no laws limiting you from “following around” someone, reading their stuff, and frequenting the same sites on the internet. That would be nearly impossible to police, and would be a violation of your rights. This is not the same as real world “Stalking”. Even in real world stalking, there must be a “threat” of some type involved to make a valid claim.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I'm not telling you how to fix it, I have no answer for that.
I am telling you what the underlying cause it.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Where is the threat in making fun of someone?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Go read the police reports.
I have already explained this, and Florida law. The police down here don't arrest people and hold them on charges if they don’t believe that a crime has been committed.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
They're charged with felony aggravated stalking, not bullying.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by boncho

Some kids that are "bullied" are secretly just seeking attention. They actually do bring it on themselves, purposely doing things to make people lash out at them, so they can play a victim card, gain attention. I think this bottom line relates to mommy and daddy issues, but, believe you me, there are enough people out there that want you to feel sorry because you just didn't pay attention to them.

But do we know that is the case here? I don't think we do. It would be unfair to assume that of this young lady without knowing the facts.

Did not mean to assume, just that any opinion on a public bullying case usually will provide no actual insight into the case. Which makes it pointless, beyond chest beating...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Check out this case of Dawn Marie Wesley
Two of the bullies were convicted of uttering threats
One bully was the daughter of a cop. Said at the time to be lead bully.

Wiki

This girl was 14 when she hung herself in her room. Very sad

The historic, landmark and precedent setting court case was presided over by Provincial Court Judge Jill Rounthwaite. It was noted that one of the girl bullies named in the suicide note was the daughter of a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer in Mission. Two girls were convicted of uttering threats with the intent to instill fear, and criminal harassment.[

edit on 17-10-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join