It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Oreos Are As Addictive As Cocaine to the Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
No surprise .... sugar, fat, and chocolate. All addictive. All easy to get your hands on. All fairly inexpensive. All legal (for now) Oreos are more 'delectable to the brain' then drugs. Oh .. and the funny thing .. the rats in the study ate the creme filling of the oreo first and then the chocolate cookie .. just like humans do.

Why Oreos Are As Addictive As Cocaine to the Brain

“It basically tells us how many cells were turned on in a specific region of the brain in response to the drugs or Oreos,” said Connecticut College professor Joseph Schroeder, who led the research. Oreos actually activated cells in this brain area more than did either coc aine or morphine, which suggests that that magical combination of sugar and fat may be even more delectable to our brains than drugs.

“Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do,” Schroeder said. “It may explain why some people can’t resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them.”

CNN - Chocolate Makes You Feel Good

Those sweet desires are not just imagined. Now, researchers have found that eating chocolate, the number one food craved by American women, causes the brain to release endorphins, chemicals that make us feel good. ..

Other researchers have also said chocolate contains substances that might mimic the effects of marijuana, boosting the pleasure you get from eating the stuff.

The ingredients might make the texture, smell and flavor of chocolate more enjoyable and combine with other ingredients like caffeine to make a person feel good, researcher Daniele Piomelli speculated

edit on 10/16/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I was waiting for you to say nicotine.

BTW, I cant leave those laying out in my house. The kids will destroy them. I hide them very well in the cabinet.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
with the price of oreos these days, coc aine dosnt sound to bad.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Back when I could still have sugar (4 years ago), Oreos and Chips Ahoy were my favorite cookies. I'd dunk them in milk. mmmm And I could make a meal out of that. Now, we only get the cookies for 'big weather' events ... hurricanes or blizzards. We have them as 'comfort food'. I can't eat them anymore, but my husband and daughter can.

(side note - 'nilla wafers were awesome too!)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Sounds absolutely plausible. One of my guilty pleasures is to walk into a chocolate or fudge shop and just breathe deeply. Happy, happy times.

That and chocolate covered strawberries. What a combination!

There are worse vices in life. I'm perfectly content with my natural high.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Oreos 101st Birthday - March 6, 2013

Some of the interesting 13 facts about Oreos ...

- The Oreo is wildly popular; so popular, in fact, that it's the world’s best-selling cookie. These days, it can be found in more than 100 countries.

- The original Oreo's cookie-to-cream ratio is 71 percent cookie, 29 percent, according to TIME. Now Oreos also come in Double Stuf and Mega Stuf varieties.

- Women are more likely than men to pull apart their Oreos before eating them.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I used to be addicted to sweet stuff (sugar, CHOCOLATE, cream, cookies, etc...) ....until I became addicted to beer..
And to tell you the truth , Oreo`s and similar stuff really don`t go down that well with beer...

So now, Im addicted to tortilla chips, dips, and all that other salty stuff, you know... (cos they go very well with beer!)

So, in other words...change your addiction and you won`t be hooked on Oreos anymore!!! LOL!!!!!

edit on 16-10-2013 by bintang because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
i always knew that taking the top off of one "cookie" (effing heathens, they're biscuits, ok?) and joining the rest to another to make a double decker was the bikky equivilant of freebasing.

I've been hooked on this since i was a wee laddie, but with bourbons and custard creams. Mix it with a cuppa and speedballs just pale in comparison. Woof.

Drug addicts really are just weak, they wanna try mixing it with the biscuit crowd, the pussyclarts.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Makes sense.

As a teen I was quite into experimenting. . .

Once I saw ravers dropping like flies, I called it quits cold-turkey, no worries.

Two years later I noticed a slight sugar gut developing, and dropped soda, and processed foods cold-turkey, no worries.

I take note that the people who are still experimental almost always have an equally ridiculous craving for sweets. (AND look much older for their age than I)

I came across a statistic which said 90% of individuals who try meth become addicts.

What do I conclude? Most people out there have low intellect, coinciding with low conscientiousness.

They are, quite simply, incapable of reasoning their way out of the immediate reward, for the long-term benefits.

Sad state of affairs.
edit on 16-10-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

sonnny1
reply to post by FlyersFan

I was waiting for you to say nicotine.

BTW, I cant leave those laying out in my house. The kids will destroy them. I hide them very well in the cabinet.

Every time I buy a pack of cigarettes I think, "Dang, I need to quit!" ... When I run out of cigarettes I think, "Dang, I need to buy another pack!"

I keep nicorette gum around not to quit, but in case I run out of smokes or I can't go outside for one. The gum is also mandatory for me on flights.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That's not saying much about coc aine because I can't friggin stand oreos lol.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
"the rats in the study ate the creme filling of the oreo first and then the chocolate cookie .. just like humans do."

I and many others dont do this.

I read that when we do certain activities or eat certain foods our brain begins to connect neurons which become familiar over time and makes us crave certain things. Its definitely apparent in children that when they consume large amounts of sugar they get the "sugar high". I'd bet as they grow older and the sugar effects them less apparently, their brains have developed in a way which the neurons fire "I want" when they are presented with sugary foods.
I think its less like a hard drug, where it instantly gets you hooked and has withdrawal effects, and more like a mental addiction reinforced over time by your brain hard wiring itself to believe its pleasurable to eat.

For further education on oreos, see here-

"The first time that I tried it, Got a big sugar buzz
Nothing gets me high as that sandwhich cookie does
But I love the filling most, I rub it on my roast
Mix it in with my coffee and spread it on my toast"
edit on 16-10-2013 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Clearly, you have never enjoyed the bliss of an Oreo milkshake topped with whipped cream and a cherry.

Sweets don't make a person weak. Just potentially fluffy.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

The inability to critically think is what makes people weak within modern societies.

If they have weighed the potential benefits from detriments, and are still willing to take the risk, more power to them!!

I started off a sugar junkie maybe even more than the average 80's kid.

We consumed maybe a dozen cans a day, my brother and I.

I did the same with cigarettes. Started at age 12, and quit at age 19, cold turkey! Only times I took drags was once I was drunk and wanted to partake in the social activity. I figured it was worth the risk, and much better than the several packs a week I was used to!

I do consider drug addicts to be weak, and would include people who have health problems related to diet, yet continue on with their ways. They are weak. People who like to indulge for funzies from time to time? They're just enjoying life!
edit on 16-10-2013 by webedoomed because: a week does not make weak!! doh

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't know it sounds unreasonable.

People kill for Coca.
There is a whole massive underground industry - black market for that stuff.

I have never actually known of anyone who was all freaking out for some Oreo's though.

Something is totally wrong with these studies, because the answers don't add up.
They are failing to take something or another into context, or maybe it's funded by some unknown agenda?

I don't really believe it.
It would take a whole lot to convince me of something like that.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I was actually debating this with someone a few weeks ago. There's a difference you're failing to take into account.

One is legal, cheap, and pro-socially accessible/acceptable, the other... not so much.

If sugar were bizarrely declared a schedule 1 drug tomorrow, you'd see many sugar-heads whoring their selves out to get another gulp.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
PLEASE JOIN US ON OUT OF THE BOX WHERE THIS THREAD WILL BE DISCUSSED.

join the OOTB crew TONIGHT as they discuss the weird and wonderful world of ATS....

Hosts: NoRegretsEver, Wrabbit2000, Above Board, ImaMarty, Druid42

OUT OF THE BOX

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I just don't get it.

I must really be wired wrong.

I have never been addicted to these things.

I do like chocolate, but only really quality chocolate. Hershey's verges on too sweet. Oreo's are okay but only one or two, and even then, I'd prefer it if they only sold packs of the chocolate wafers without the icing inside. It's kind of gross.

Give me homemade cookies any day, and even then, I can only eat so many before I'm done.

new topics

top topics

join