It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information philosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Consider the following philosophy:
The more information you know, the better. You understand more about yourself and the world through the information you constantly try to gain. You believe that no information is too secret or private for you to know, yet you respect and acknowledge that you can keep secrets. Followers of the philosophy show their merit by divining each others secrets.

Sounds pretty ATS, huh?

I thought this might be an interesting philosophy to evaluate. It is, for the most part, in contradiction to modern social standards in that it says you may know anyone's secrets as long as you can figure them out. It is also in contrast to Taoism, which encourages un-learning:

In pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.

How would you lean?
Towards Tao or informationism?
Towards privacy or the divining of secrets?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think that you may want to read up on Taoism to get a better understanding then you currently have. What good is living your life based on mountains of information if that information is incorrect?

Bigger is rarely better.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I agree with Jonna.

Bigger or more is not exactly the anwser. It is the quality and the realiblity of the infomation that you get hold of.

Also with so much info in the world, you apply what you want in your life. The rest of the info, put on a shelf and come back to it later.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
i get what it means, that if one day you were to learn that sky is actually red then you would no longer perceive it as blue. only your understand maintains information. how correct one can be is dependant on all one knows. simply stuff i do say.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I agree. For years I loved eggs. Boiled, fried, scrambled omelettes, I ate them all. Then twenty years later my mother told me I actually hated egg based meals. I was confused,but never ate an egg again.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
are u being serious?

thats an incredible story!

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
how do u know the sky is not red? which sky? what is the sky? this is a pointless argument. the only true information is where reality coincides with reality. and that is the info conspiracies try to get to.

join