It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow! Early?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
After a mild Veteren's Day I go to bed. Everything is normal.

November 12, 2004-Rumors continue that it may be snowing in my area (Massachusetts, US for those who don't know me.

The Rumors are confirmed and it snows. A few hours later, it is accumilating. I could not believe it. November 12, 2004! Snow!

I guess it's true that weather in New England can change in minutes.

HOWEVER, I am shocked on how early this 6-inch snowstorm arrived.

Are climate seems to change commonly, but this is ridiculous. Quite interesting out here!

Anyone else see unusual weather events? Hmm?

The World is coming to an End!

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
As you face snow, we face nothing. Normally up in the city of champions there is a good amount of permanent snow a week before Halloween. Not this year though. We have gotten snow, that�s for sure, although it has only stayed for at most a week. Of the last big snow we had all that is left is ice and today with the 10+ temp it all melted!

I think that the seasons have moved. This is more September/October whether we are facing right now and I can say with confidence that we will have a longer winter, some depth into spring. It is kind of annoying though as here we are expecting snow but we receive nothing. Too bad really. Want to trade?

Edit- Minor error.

[edit on 11/15/2004 by Thaumaturgus]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I've seen snow in southeastern Michigan as early as Halloween. Of course, it did not accumulate.
I was born in mid-November. That year, there was a very bad snow storm. My mother always reminded me of the horrible weather when I was born

On April 1st, we had a snow-day from work. There's been snow as late as April 26th.

I don't think every unusual weather event should or could be blamed on global "warming".

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
hell this is great means for a great ski season

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I found this link on Coast to Coast AM which talks about a freak cloud formation in China:

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I don't think every unusual weather event should or could be blamed on global "warming".

Can someone explain to me how global "warming" can cause the coolest Summer, and coldest winter in U.S. history?

Originally posted by Indy
From the news stories over the past year there is no doubt that something is happening to our climate on a massive scale... We are having some of the earliest openings of ski resorts in the west in decades. There has been significant snow in the panhandle of Texas already in November. Parts of the nation didn't experience a real summer this year...

Sounds more like the coming of the next Ice Age to me. And if that's the case... the global warming is the only thing saving us!

E_T

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Sounds more like the coming of the next Ice Age to me. And if that's the case... the global warming is the only thing saving us!
Actually if ocean currents which move warm water to arctic areas (like Golf Stream) would slow it would cause much longer winters in those arctic areas causing increase in Earth's albedo which means that Earth would reflect more sun's radiation back to space.

It's true that climate is naturally changing all time but that doesn't meant that mankind can't push it over the safe limit after which it starts "malfunctioning". There's just not enough knowledge to say what safe limits are.

So in the end it comes to this: Would you point loaded pistol to your head and start pulling trigger completely without knowing when it goes off?

BTW, looks like winter is starting here. first snowfall was 1� months ago but after it has been "little" wet. I guess ground is starting to freeze because snow rained at night isn't melting away.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Global Warming is causing the Atlantic Current to slow because the Artic Ice is melting. The current works like a conveyor belt, which pulls the warm, less salty water up from the gulf stream along the coast of North America, where is becomes increasingly more salty and colder as it heads north. Because the water is colder and saltier, it is heavier than the warmer less salty water and it starts to "sink" underneath the warm water, and heads back towards the south to warm up, creating a conveyor system. When the ice starts melting up north, it adds fresh water, which decreases the salinity of the water. Hence, the belt slows down, and could eventually stop, which means all that warm water won't be coming up from the gulf to keep Europe warm, which will make for much longer, colder winters. And the longer those winters, as ET's post says, more sunlight will be getting reflecting back into space causing even more cooling, which is why they think global warming could cause another ice age.

Also, the Atlantic current (and other ocean currents) help to regulate the earth's weather patterns. If you slow down or stop those currents, you are going to completely change the weather patterns. Think of the "Butterfly Effect" greatly amplified.

E_T

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
At least it looks like winter isn't anymore "joking" this year... -15 C.
Now just little (northern) wind and effective temperature goes down under -30.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
In 1989 a major snowstorm dumped as much as 10 inches of snow across parts of Indiana on October 19th. The City of Indianapolis had around 9" which makes it one of the largest single snow events on record. I'm guessing top 10 all time. Of course it was a fluke. Since I moved here back in 1995 we have had at best a total of a trace of snow in 9 years in October. But the climate is chaning in a huge way and very fast. There are more and more odd stories surfacing. I'm giving it 5 years before the system absolutely crashes. If that long. The next BIG El Nino should do it.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I thought I'd add my 2 pence.

Im Here in the Northeast, Boston. Typical seasons for us are, 5.5 months of winter 1.5 months of spring, 2 fall, and 3 months of summer.

Our Seasons look like this.

Starting with Summer respectively.

June, July, August

Fall

September, October

Winter

November, December, January, February, March, April 1/2

Spring

April 1/2, May

At least these are my perceptions, living here most of my Life.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
ADHDsux4me,

We have the same seaons in Buffalo, NY!!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This year it seems for us as if it were...

Jan, Feb = Winter
Mar, April, May, June, July, August = Spring
September, November, December = Fall

Summer was missing.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Winchestertonfieldville, Iowa

That sounds vaguely familliar, Wynona.

E_T

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
This year it seems for us as if it were...
Summer was missing.
Yeah...
Or it was first week of May, after that it went straight to fall and started pouring water every other day.
This year winter started about week ago in here.

Best reading is currently -17 C
Looks like ground is going to freeze really well this year.

Now just some humid air and there might be christmas with lot of snow. (althought lot of snow isn't required for places to look nice: pic1, pic2)
Cold air can't hold much humidity, in fact sky has been clear from any thicker clouds couple days because coldness has forced air to "dry itself".

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
Now just some humid air and there might be christmas with lot of snow. (althought lot of snow isn't required for places to look nice: pic1, pic2)

Wow, nice pictures E_T...
Is this from Finland? Long time ago?

[edit on 2004/11/21 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Beautiful Pics ET!! Man, I thought it got cold in Buffalo!! Actually, we are more known for snow because we get Lake Effect off of Lake Erie, so we get bombed when the lake band is aimed at the city. During Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after in 2002, we received almost 8 feet of snow!! And that is in the city, not the country!! Our tool shed collapsed from the weight of the snow....I have never seen so many people shoveling their roofs off at the same time!!
Really funny!! Thankfully, the national guard came in to haul the snow away in dump trucks!!

top topics

join