It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina is first state to cut welfare amid federal shutdown

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

North Carolina has become the first state to cut off welfare benefits to poor residents in the wake of the partial federal government shutdown, ordering a halt to processing November applications until a deal is reached to end the federal standstill.

Other North Carolina programs funded through the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant also will be affected. That list includes childcare subsidies that cover more than 70,000 children and have already ceased being distributed in some parts of the state.

North Carolina is first state to cut welfare amid federal shutdown

Well once this hits the mainstream news in full force this certainly won't be very good.

I've personally feel that one state doing this publicly will likely lead to more states doing it. As with most 'really bad things' no one really wants to be the first to do it.. but they don't mind being the second, third, fourth, etc.

Hopefully this will be enough to finally end this shutdown, if it isn't I'm really starting to grasp what these FEMA internment camps are all about... :[

MODS: Please remove if this has been posted already. I did a search, and looked at the new posts in this section and couldn't find anything like it. Also, this could have fit under several category- if you feel it's not in the right one please change!

Additional Source

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: Rewording

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: Added Another Source

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ragiusnotiel

Not surprised one bit. I am sure the state police up there in NC, are overjoyed with that information. Lets see how this all pans out. It is starting to make sense thou with all the homeland security moves here recently.. If they shut down welfare, and snap programs etc. it will be interesting to see how this ends.. I look at it this way, its all bullcrap until Thursday at 1145 comes and goes by without a agreement between these corrupt pieces of crap we call lawmakers...

If they do not raise the debt ceiling and your dependent on the system yea, then kiss your but goodbye, and learn how to hunt and gather real quick...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My son's mom is supposed to get her food stamps on the 17th....

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

HomerinNC

Do let us know if she gets it! She lives in NC I gather?

The article didn't 'seem' like the benefits that were cut off in October were food stamps/ TANF, they said 'childcare subsidies', which from what I gather, is stuff like daycare, after school programs, etc.

Would I be wrong?

Sucks for the kids, this is the second time the government shunned the children. First with WIC, now with this.

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: I can't type tonight, sorry.

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: $#!%

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I'm sorry it ever came to this. I'm so sorry, please forgive us for our transgressions against ourselves. I apologize to you and your family.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Indeed.. There are a good many people scheduled for benefits in one form or another over the next few days. This could get real ugly as the first real reasons for most people to drop the ding dongs and get off the couch hit home in a serious way.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Americanist

USDA Shutdown Plan

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) will continue operations and eligible households will still receive monthly benefits for October . The authority to make October benefit payments comes from the Recovery Act, through which Congress provided “such sums as are necessary” to finance the SNAP benefit provided for in the Recovery Act . In addition, a bout $2 billion in contingency funding will be available and could be used to support State Administrative activities essential to continue the program and issue and process benefits. These contingency funds were provided in the FY 2013 appropriation and do not expire until the end of FY 2014 .

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, (but you probably SHOULD)

Sounds like even if the do cut it off it will be in November and ONLY for new applicants- the people who already have it might get it until the end of the year?

Did I get that right?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

HomerinNC

But don't you support the shutdown?

Furthermore...don't you support "small government" and the Republicans desire to end welfare?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
its going to get ugly....even if these moronic government types do reach a deal it proves they are fear mongering and praying on people that are in a compromised position.....wow.....what has happened to our societies??....far out...money is the new god and if you have it you just don't care about anyone else....this will be the downfall of the human race....

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Sounds like they are not stopping payments to people already on it, just stopping new applicants?

I said it before on another thread, if they were to shut down all the food stamps and welfare checks going out there will be mass riots in the cities.

I would be ready to get out of dodge if that happens!

Just noticed where they have to re-apply every month so maybe they are screwed. People better be ready for civil unrest if that happens nation wide...
edit on 15-10-2013 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Good.

Get ready to exercise your 2ndA rights.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
If they were to stop payments all together, it would only be a matter of time before one of these local DSS offices fell victim to a bombing, or mass shooting, etc.. Even if only new applicants were being restricted and turned away because of this fiasco; they wouldn't understand it, and 'there goes the neighborhood'.

DSS/welfare offices stress people out enough - and it wouldn't take much to push the wrong person over the edge. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Interesting times. (-_-)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

I honestly feel like if this does happen the people 'mad' would likely be less protest-esque and more riot-y..

And once that spreads, oh boy. It won't be pretty that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

So all these people will get pissed and then riots will emerge and spread across the nation like a wildfire and then all those fema camps will be put into play and marshal law will be initiated. I think that all those coffins are for the simple fact that they think the american people wont have what it takes to defend our selves. Well let me put it this way if they think they are the only ones with military weaponry they are sadly mistaken. =)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This one says as of Monday everything in NC is done.

Henry said the freeze includes applications pending as of Monday, as well as re-certifications for November. While most program beneficiaries have already received their October checks, she said," If you are on Work First now, you should not expect to get a check in November if the federal shutdown continues."

Then they go on to say they'll just IOU ya

A Sept. 30 letter from the federal Office for Family Assistance urges states to keep TANF open, saying any needed expenditures will be paid back once the shutdown has ended.

"Allowable expenditures jurisdictions make between October 1, 2013, and the date that an extension is enacted would be eligible for reimbursement with federal TANF or CCDF (Child Care and Development Fund) funds made available under an extension, unless Congress specifies otherwise," the letter from Acting Assistant Secretary George Shelton reads in part..

Maybe...

Henry said the letter was not a sufficient guarantee of repayment.

"From our perspective, the offer that was made about possible reimbursement was not a definitive enough commitment about reimbursement for us to count on that," Henry said.

She couldn't comment on why other states viewed it differently.

Article

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
It's funny how few people have the power to play with the Global economy in this way. I'm 100% sure they will reach a deal just before the deadline but it's still very stupid.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well, I have to agree with the poster above, this is exactly what the Republicans want with their Small Government rhetoric. Small government has no interest in feeding the poor, why should anybody pay taxes in order to provide to people who can't provide for themselves?

To be honest this shut down is letting the Republican party craft the country into what they've always wanted it to be, it's probably in their best interests to continue it as long as possible until the debt default happens, and they can effectively destroy the USA and no doubt craft a new right-wing fascist Christian state from the ashes.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by IntoTheUnkown

IntoTheUnknown tells us,

"....they think the american people wont have what it takes to defend our selves. Well let me put it this way if they think they are the only ones with military weaponry they are sadly mistaken. =) "

You most certainly don't have what it takes old chap.

How would one defend oneself against a drone?
How would we manage without the mobile phones which would betray our whereabouts and our intentions?
How many new devices might we expect to be introduced to in the event of civil unrest?

Julie Andrews used to sing,
"Whenever I'm afraid, I hold my head erect,
and whistle a happy tune, so no-one will suspect -
I'm afraid".

So IntoTheUnknown -- As Bacall said to Bogey "You know how to whistle, don't ya? You just put your lips together and blow."

mistersmith.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

XXX777
Good.

Get ready to exercise your 2ndA rights.

Thats disgusting and shows whats wrong with American gun culture

Yeah its good to have guns for proetction.

But you should not want to use them or be eger! Thats a Human life! Yes they may need to be used but only as a last resualt and you should not gte "pleasure" in doing it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join